The "Official" Genesis thread

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Dec 17 2008, 06:25 PM)
QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Dec 17 2008, 03:35 PM)
We saw The Musical Box when they were in Los Angeles doing "The Lamb" show. It was breathtaking.

As far as tribute bands go, you won't get a more visually accurate representation of vintage Genesis!

I wanted to see that so bad. Lamb is one of my favorites albums of all time.

The Lamb... is a strange album. "Trick of the Tail" seems like it would have been the followup to "Selling England..."

I have no desire to get anything from "Invisible Touch" and after. That being said, I only have to get "Abacab" to fill the collection that I want.

QUOTE (PanaceaFish @ Dec 26 2008, 08:16 PM)
hug2.gif Some hugs for Genesis, they rawk!

When John and I drive back to NC on Monday, I will be playing "From Genesis to Revelation". I like that one.

I'm listening to Looking For Someone right now. I never listened to Trespass and Nursery Cryme much until recently, but I really like the rawer guitar and keyboard sounds that they had on those albums. They really put out some powerful stuff in this time like The Knife, The Musical Box and The Fountain of Salmacis. The Return of the Giant Hogweed is just fun.

I also want to say that they did a great job remixing The Lamb on the new boxset. I never really liked The Chamber of 32 Doors much, but this time they put the bass pedal way up in the mix and it has a lot of power. All the 70-75 remixes are great.

I have a question about this new 1970-1975 box set....I'm still fairly new to Genesis, so at the moment I don't actually have a physical copy of any of the PG era albums, but I do have Selling England and Foxtrot off iTunes and love both of them, so the box set seems like an ideal thing for me to get. I was just over at Amazon thinking about ordering some of the Gabriel albums, but I noticed none of them are in stock (so I'd have to buy from other sellers unsure.gif ) and the box set really caught my eye. My mouth is already watering at the thought of all of those tasty extras, but I'm worried about the price and if the new mixes are faithful enough to the albums I haven't heard....I know that sounds stupid but I worry about that kinda stuff. tongue.gif And I can order all of the 1994 remasters for less than $50. unsure.gif

So I dont' know whether to save up and get the box set or go for the non-remixed albums first. unsure.gif

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Dec 28 2008, 03:16 PM)
I have a question about this new 1970-1975 box set....I'm still fairly new to Genesis, so at the moment I don't actually have a physical copy of any of the PG era albums, but I do have Selling England and Foxtrot off iTunes and love both of them, so the box set seems like an ideal thing for me to get. I was just over at Amazon thinking about ordering some of the Gabriel albums, but I noticed none of them are in stock (so I'd have to buy from other sellers unsure.gif ) and the box set really caught my eye. My mouth is already watering at the thought of all of those tasty extras, but I'm worried about the price and if the new mixes are faithful enough to the albums I haven't heard....I know that sounds stupid but I worry about that kinda stuff. tongue.gif And I can order all of the 1994 remasters for less than $50. unsure.gif

So I dont' know whether to save up and get the box set or go for the non-remixed albums first. unsure.gif

I have remixed CD's of Genesis music that came out some time ago.

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Dec 28 2008, 02:16 PM)

I like most of the things about the remixes in the box set. You'd really have to hear it for yourself to decide, though.

Pros:

-Mix is changed, so if you had old mixes, you can hear new things.

-5.1 mixes are always great and full

-Video extras are cool

-I think the new mixes sound better for the most part

Cons:

-Mix is changed, not all people like the new mixes.

-They compressed the albums. They aren't clipped like Vapor Trails, but you can tell they were compressed.

-If you don't have a 5.1 system, you're only paying for CD's and $100 is quite a bit to spend for five albums.

So basically: if you have 5.1, I'd say it would be worth it. We were lucky; we bought it for $100 on eBay, but at the time there was 30% cashback when you used PayPal, so we got it for $70 and we have a 5.1 system.

I'd definitely say they did a better job on 70-75 than 76-82. The latter seemed to have been more compressed.

If you become a monster fan of this music you're going to want both the older editions and the new remixes.

I'm hopelessly biased, so I think you ought to track down used copies of the originals, and then, if you fall for them, save up for the box. Just one guy's opinion!

I agree that they did a better job on the 70-75 box than the 76-82 box re: compression. I can't even listen to the 76-82 box. My disc of Trick of the Tail nearly went out the car window I was so pissed off. WAY too much compression there!

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Dec 29 2008, 10:07 PM)
I'm new to Genesis... just got The Lamb on vinyl today. It is absolutely blowing me away... I'm on The Carpet Crawlers right now, and it's just incredible.

I'm partial to disk 2. I think "it." is the best song on the whole album.

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Dec 17 2008, 05:35 PM)
We saw The Musical Box when they were in Los Angeles doing "The Lamb" show. It was breathtaking.

As far as tribute bands go, you won't get a more visually accurate representation of vintage Genesis!

I missed an opportunity to see them not too long ago, but wanted to go.

I heard the Gabriel guy wears all the costumes and everything.

I've also heard that Genesis themselves have praised the show.

True?

i have been listening to LAMB for the last 3 days 1022.gif

from Billboard.com:

With a third box set of catalog upgrades looming, a reunion of Genesis' revered 1971-75 lineup is still in the ether -- but hardly in stone.

"We've never said never about it, you know," keyboardist Tony Banks tells Billboard.com. "I know Phil (Collins) would be quite happy with the idea of just playing the drums; it would be quite fun for him. Mike (Rutherford) and I are certainly happy to do it. I know Steve (Hackett) is keen as well. I think it'd be down to Peter (Gabriel) more than anyone else."

Gabriel was actually the first to broach the idea of reuniting that Genesis lineup, initially for a handful of performances of the 1974 concept piece "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway," in 2004. He later pulled back in order to concentrate on a solo album he's still making. It did lead to Banks, Collins and Rutherford reuniting for a tour in 2007, and there are still hopes that the older roster will eventually do something together.

"It would be fun to do something like that purely for the fun of working together again and seeing where it takes you," Rutherford notes. Hackett adds that, "I think we should do this before one of us dies; we're not getting any younger, to quote one of the songs, so maybe one day it'll happen." Banks, meanwhile, says that rather than merely "The Lamb...," he'd like to see the group "do a sort of best-of from that era. You want to do things like 'Supper's Ready,' I think, and 'The Musical Box,' definitely."

All of that music is showcased on "Genesis: 1970-1975," a seven-CD and six-DVD box set that includes upgraded editions of all five albums the group recorded between those years. Each has a DVD of time-appropriate performance footage and new interviews, as well as a set of rare "Extras." It's the third in a series of boxed reissues, saved for last even though they're earlier recordings.

"I think they're the ones there's possibly more anticipation for," Banks says. "These albums have a reputation but they probably didn't sell as many in the first place, so there's a feeling that they have a chance to do something now."

Banks says Genesis is considering some further catalog reissues, including a possible boxed set of the group's several live albums as well as issuing single shows for sale via band's Web site. He's also put together a remastered version of his 1979 solo album "A Curious Feeling" that he plans to release in 2009.

QUOTE (Soni @ Jan 1 2009, 08:50 AM)
from Billboard.com:

With a third box set of catalog upgrades looming, a reunion of Genesis' revered 1971-75 lineup is still in the ether -- but hardly in stone.

"We've never said never about it, you know," keyboardist Tony Banks tells Billboard.com. "I know Phil (Collins) would be quite happy with the idea of just playing the drums; it would be quite fun for him. Mike (Rutherford) and I are certainly happy to do it. I know Steve (Hackett) is keen as well. I think it'd be down to Peter (Gabriel) more than anyone else."

Gabriel was actually the first to broach the idea of reuniting that Genesis lineup, initially for a handful of performances of the 1974 concept piece "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway," in 2004. He later pulled back in order to concentrate on a solo album he's still making. It did lead to Banks, Collins and Rutherford reuniting for a tour in 2007, and there are still hopes that the older roster will eventually do something together.

"It would be fun to do something like that purely for the fun of working together again and seeing where it takes you," Rutherford notes. Hackett adds that, "I think we should do this before one of us dies; we're not getting any younger, to quote one of the songs, so maybe one day it'll happen." Banks, meanwhile, says that rather than merely "The Lamb...," he'd like to see the group "do a sort of best-of from that era. You want to do things like 'Supper's Ready,' I think, and 'The Musical Box,' definitely."

All of that music is showcased on "Genesis: 1970-1975," a seven-CD and six-DVD box set that includes upgraded editions of all five albums the group recorded between those years. Each has a DVD of time-appropriate performance footage and new interviews, as well as a set of rare "Extras." It's the third in a series of boxed reissues, saved for last even though they're earlier recordings.

"I think they're the ones there's possibly more anticipation for," Banks says. "These albums have a reputation but they probably didn't sell as many in the first place, so there's a feeling that they have a chance to do something now."

Banks says Genesis is considering some further catalog reissues, including a possible boxed set of the group's several live albums as well as issuing single shows for sale via band's Web site. He's also put together a remastered version of his 1979 solo album "A Curious Feeling" that he plans to release in 2009.

That would be amazing!

I'd love to see that lineup, playing those tunes! wub.gif

In UK they also showed the Come Rain or Shine doc. about how they put together the last tour. Interesting to compare with Rush, e.g. Collins saying he would not want to play more than 20 shows, the fraught problems they had with cueing the lighting to the music and eventually having to employ a "button pusher", Collins having problems getting up to speed with his drumming again etc.

Obviously it was going to be rusty after 15 years but shows the benefits of staying active as a band.

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Jan 4 2009, 02:42 AM)
QUOTE (Soni @ Jan 1 2009, 08:50 AM)
from Billboard.com:

That would be amazing!

I'd love to see that lineup, playing those tunes! wub.gif

I would die of happiness if those guys got back together-- but not before I saw them in concert. laugh.gif

Seriously, though, I can't think of anything more awesome than seeing Steve Hackett playing with Genesis again.

after 3 f-n days of listening to LAMB i now cannot stop listening to SECONDS OUT. what a killer of an album

1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 7 2009, 11:11 PM)
after 3 f-n days of listening to LAMB i now cannot stop listening to SECONDS OUT. what a killer of an album
1022.gif

Seconds Out is HUGE! It contains some definitive versions of some already brilliant tunes.

Squonk & Carpetcrawlers are just 2, I love Collins plaintive voice for Carpetcrawlers.

One of the great live albums.

3 days of listening to Lamb, Jesus. That's lunacy. LOVE IT! trink39.gif 1022.gif