The "Official" Genesis thread

Mick...

You should go give "Calling All Stations" another listen...I'm glad I did.

I found a bunch of B-sides, demos, etc. from CAS.

Good stuff, indeed!

http://www.genesis-news.com/media/genesis/cas/cas_header.jpg

Have you seen this:

http://youtu.be/IkXL7qHbXGM

Ray Wilson does a pretty solid job. I think the band would have been better named anything but Genesis. And it sucks that Tony and Mike denied Darryl and Chester's request to become full members. But still, this is a pretty cool concert by a band that sometimes does old Genesis songs.

(I would have loved to hear a full Ray Wilson "Supper's Ready," TBH. The acoustic version of "Lover's Leap" is pretty good.)

Edited by gudbuytjane
  • Like 1

I hadn't seen that show, but will definitely check it out...thank you, as always! :)

Didn't know that about Chester and Daryl, I wonder why Mike and Tony made that decision.

That is too bad because I believe their involvement would have lent some credibility to the project being released under the Genesis name.

Edited by ReGorLaTroy

Winding down the marathon and have just listened to "Calling All Stations".

Having only listened to this album a handful of time since it's release I have to say that I have a whole new appreciation of it.

Ray Wilson is a great singer and I can't help but think that this would have been a greater success under any other name than Genesis.

That being said, I actually prefer it over Phil's last Genesis album, "We Can't Dance".

As I listened to "We Can't Dance" yesterday I thought it was too ballad heavy and was thinking it should have been a Phil Collins solo album.

I found myself wishing that if "We Can't Dance" is, in fact, the last Genesis album, I wish they would have gone out with a bang, not a whimper.

The song writing is fine, the sound and production is fine...it just was too far into the soft rock arena for my taste.

I found myself craving another spin of "Selling England By the Pound".

There was some talk after CAS that there was going to be a follow-up album,but Banks was not keen at all.Shame really because CAS does have some good moments,e.g.Alien Afternoon,The Dividing Line and my favourite Uncertain Weather.Wilson's vocals are indeed very strong,and remind me often of sounding like Gabriel!

Actually it annoys me that when you talk to G fans,the majority of them don't consider CAS a"real" Genesis release because Gabriel or Collins are not on it! Fair enough,but Banks and Rutherford,two original members,are all over it!Strange that……

• Like 2

I wrapped up the Genesis marathon today with the two great sets...

Archive #1: 1967-1975 & Archive #2: 1976-1992.

The two sets were a great look back at the two major chapters of the Genesis story...

...the Peter Gabriel years and the Phil Collins years.

Most people fall into either the Gabriel Genesis camp or the Collins Genesis camp.

I happen to be equally at home in either camp.

I can't tell you just how enjoyable this marathon was and how many fond memories were brought back to mind.

This, on top of listening to 525 amazing songs!!!

I think the marathon can be summed up by quoting the band themselves when they sang...

"'cos it's only knock and knowall, but I like it."

• Like 1

I wrapped up the Genesis marathon today with the two great sets...

Archive #1: 1967-1975 & Archive #2: 1976-1992.

The two sets were a great look back at the two major chapters of the Genesis story...

...the Peter Gabriel years and the Phil Collins years.

Most people fall into either the Gabriel Genesis camp or the Collins Genesis camp.

I happen to be equally at home in either camp.

I can't tell you just how enjoyable this marathon was and how many fond memories were brought back to mind.

This, on top of listening to 525 amazing songs!!!

I think the marathon can be summed up by quoting the band themselves when they sang...

"'cos it's only knock and knowall, but I like it."

So after listening to all those songs let's have a ReGorLaTroy top 5 then! :banghead: :cheers:

Are you doing another marathon listen then? A suggestion? How about trying the 100 odd albums released by Tangerine Dream?! Only joking! :joker: :)

• Like 1

http://home.arcor.de/helmut.brockmann/Konzert/Genesis/faq-logo.jpg

Hmm, top five would be nearly impossible to say...

Supper's Ready / The Musical Box / Blood on the Rooftops / Deep in the Motherlode / It's Gonna Get Better

...those are the first five that came to mind.

Of course, ask me in two minutes and the five will have drastically changed!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the next marathon...I'm not certain.

I came to Genesis directly from a Ramones marathon.

(I almost suffered from culture shock!)

So, I may take an about face musically again.

I was initially thinking Pink Floyd...but now I'm kicking around the idea of perhaps The Doors or Roy Orbison.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, that Tangerine Dream would be a challenge.

I did a Bob Dylan marathon that was just over 2000 songs (78 albums) with official and live boots and I thought that was great fun.

Before that I did a David Bowie marathon of 76 albums which clocked in at 2143 songs!

That was so amazing...I could do that again and never grow tired of Bowie!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Until then, I have some shows by Supertramp and The Who that some kind folks here on TRF have passed along I want to give a spin.

Special thank you for a lifetime of great music and memories to...

Tony Banks, Mick Barnard, Bill Bruford, Phil Collins, Nick D'Virgilio, Anthony Drennan, Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, John Mayhew, Anthony Phillips, Mike Rutherford, John Silver, Chris Stewart, Daryl Stuermer, Chester Thompson, Ray Wilson and Nir Zidkyahu

http://www.magnetmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/genesis550.jpg

• Like 3

http://home.arcor.de/helmut.brockmann/Konzert/Genesis/faq-logo.jpg

Hmm, top five would be nearly impossible to say...

Supper's Ready / The Musical Box / Blood on the Rooftops / Deep in the Motherlode / It's Gonna Get Better

...those are the first five that came to mind.

Of course, ask me in two minutes and the five will have drastically changed!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the next marathon...I'm not certain.

I came to Genesis directly from a Ramones marathon.

(I almost suffered from culture shock!)

So, I may take an about face musically again.

I was initially thinking Pink Floyd...but now I'm kicking around the idea of perhaps The Doors or Roy Orbison.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, that Tangerine Dream would be a challenge.

I did a Bob Dylan marathon that was just over 2000 songs (78 albums) with official and live boots and I thought that was great fun.

Before that I did a David Bowie marathon of 76 albums which clocked in at 2143 songs!

That was so amazing...I could do that again and never grow tired of Bowie!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Until then, I have some shows by Supertramp and The Who that some kind folks here on TRF have passed along I want to give a spin.

Special thank you for a lifetime of great music and memories to...

Tony Banks, Mick Barnard, Bill Bruford, Phil Collins, Nick D'Virgilio, Anthony Drennan, Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, John Mayhew, Anthony Phillips, Mike Rutherford, John Silver, Chris Stewart, Daryl Stuermer, Chester Thompson, Ray Wilson and Nir Zidkyahu

http://www.magnetmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/genesis550.jpg

Nice! Love the roll-call at the end! Dig the jacket,Steve,but as for that tash……… um!?Still it's better than Tony's jumper! :outtahere:

Although it would have been nice to see the classic 5-piece reunion realized in 2007, the Duke-era, 3-piece-plus-2-old-friends revival tour it turned into instead was pretty great, too. I thought the set list was an excellent balance between that version of the band's different eras, and was very happy for all the Duke material. Bringing back "Duke's Travels/Duke's End" was pretty great. The 2007 tour documentary was pretty interesting, too--was funny watching the 3 guys sit down to play for the first time in quite a while and messing up and getting angry while Darryl and Chester held back their grins. It was nice to remember that even for rock stars, if you don't play regularly you're going to lose a bit (it is SO frustrating being unable to play things I used to be able to play, I feel their frustration). Kind of like the first day back at the gym. :)

http://youtu.be/cVZXaPXO9Zs

Edited by gudbuytjane
  • Like 1

Although it would have been nice to see the classic 5-piece reunion realized in 2007, the Duke-era, 3-piece-plus-2-old-friends revival tour it turned into instead was pretty great, too. I thought the set list was an excellent balance between that version of the band's different eras, and was very happy for all the Duke material. Bringing back "Duke's Travels/Duke's End" was pretty great. The 2007 tour documentary was pretty interesting, too--was funny watching the 3 guys sit down to play for the first time in quite a while and messing up and getting angry while Darryl and Chester held back their grins. It was nice to remember that even for rock stars, if you don't play regularly you're going to lose a bit (it is SO frustrating being unable to play things I used to be able to play, I feel their frustration). Kind of like the first day back at the gym. :)

http://youtu.be/cVZXaPXO9Zs

Is that a fair bit slower?

I've liked "A Trick of the Tail", too. When I think of Genesis, and or Yes, I do think of the other.
  • Like 1