The "Official" Genesis thread

inspired by the Official Yes thread, I thought we could make one about Genesis.

Besides, I was listening to "Trick of the Tail" this morning on my way into work and in a Genesis mood.

I'll formally list my faves when I have to time, but for now "Trick of the Tail" and "Wind and Wuthering" are among the top of my list.

Edited by circumstantial tree

no box set for me. The only thing I have is a collection of Genesis videos that date back to Trick of the Tail album.

popcorn.gif

I'm eating popcorn. tongue.gif

Actually, Shawn Bishop has been spinning quite a few cuts from the new box set over at The Dividing Line. He always has some nice Genesis rarities and stuff related to Genesis.

http://www.thedividingline.com/btl.html

QUOTE (Gompers @ Dec 16 2008, 02:12 PM)
popcorn.gif
I'm eating popcorn. tongue.gif

Actually, Shawn Bishop has been spinning quite a few cuts from the new box set over at The Dividing Line. He always has some nice Genesis rarities and stuff related to Genesis.

I agree, but I rarely stay up for his show.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 16 2008, 04:47 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Dec 16 2008, 02:12 PM)
popcorn.gif
I'm eating popcorn.  tongue.gif

Actually, Shawn Bishop has been spinning quite  a few cuts from the new box set over at The Dividing Line. He always has some nice Genesis rarities and stuff related to Genesis.

I agree, but I rarely stay up for his show.

Download the stream! I certainly can't stay up that late. I'm getting rickety.... tongue.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Dec 16 2008, 12:12 PM)

That would figure, since his show shares the title of a "Calling All Stations" track.

I am hopelessly biased when it comes to Genesis. They're my faves..with Rush right behind.

Edgy--we have copies of the stereo mixes from the 70-75 boxset, but we don't have the real thing yet. We dig what I've heard so far though!!!

2007 was a great year to be a Genesis & Rush fan...both bands gave great concerts that year at the Hollywood Bowl. cool.gif

I love the Peter Gabriel Genesis the best, with SEBTP being my all time favorite album...I was also fortunate enough to aquire the first two albums, that I hear are out of print?

Although Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering are also good albums...

Edited by PanaceaFish

i have been jammin some FOXTROT today 1022.gif

QUOTE (PanaceaFish @ Dec 16 2008, 08:33 PM)
I love the Peter Gabriel Genesis the best, with SEBTP being my all time favorite album...I was also fortunate enough to aquire the first two albums, that I hear are out of print?

Although Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering are also good albums...

I like "Selling England..." also. It's the first album that seems to utilize more synths and less (if any) of the Hammond organ. It's a very rich sounding album compared to the previous ones.

I have "From Genesis to Revelation", their first album. Like Rush's first album, it's an effort that is easily forgiven because it's their first recording and with little money to make. So I do like this album for a first effort. My favorite tune is "A Place to call my own".

I also like their second album "Trespass". My favorite ones are "Stagnation" and "Dusk"

Edited by circumstantial tree

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 17 2008, 06:17 AM)

I also like their second album "Trespass". My favorite ones are "Stagnation" and "Dusk"

The 5.1 remix of this one is awesome. It's like a completely different album. I always liked it, but the 5.1 brings out all kinds of little aural details.

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Dec 17 2008, 01:32 PM)

The 5.1 remix of this one is awesome. It's like a completely different album. I always liked it, but the 5.1 brings out all kinds of little aural details.

For better or worse, it could be because Collins and Hackett are not on it and thereby giving a different feel and groove.

Good record, no matter.

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Dec 17 2008, 06:32 PM)

100% agree. goodpost.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 17 2008, 11:39 AM)

For better or worse, it could be because Collins and Hackett are not on it and thereby giving a different feel and groove.

I see what you're saying, but it isn't that-- I mean that as many times as I've listened to that album, I've never noticed some of the stuff I heard on the 5.1 mix. Little things like a Mellotron part that was buried in the mix before, or Peter taking a breath during a flute solo-- stuff like that.

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Dec 17 2008, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 17 2008, 11:39 AM)

I see what you're saying, but it isn't that-- I mean that as many times as I've listened to that album, I've never noticed some of the stuff I heard on the 5.1 mix. Little things like a Mellotron part that was buried in the mix before, or Peter taking a breath during a flute solo-- stuff like that.

I was referring to the music style itself, in the way that Bruford's drumming for Yes brought a different style to their music than Alan White's.

Has anyone ever seen a band called The Musical Box, a Genesis tribute band?

I was lucky enough to have gotten to see them at the Starland Ballroom in Sayreville (NJ), a couple years ago, when they were doing most of the songs from Selling England, as well as Foxtrot, and I gotta say it was the closest I'll ever come to seeing the Garbriel era Genesis live, they were that good... new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The Mucsical Box Starland Ballroom 2006

QUOTE (PanaceaFish @ Dec 17 2008, 02:36 PM)

I was lucky enough to have gotten to see them at the Starland Ballroom in Sayreville (NJ), a couple years ago, when they were doing most of the songs from Selling England, as well as Foxtrot, and I gotta say it was the closest I'll ever come to seeing the Garbriel era Genesis live, they were that good... new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

going to go see them in jan

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 17 2008, 02:38 PM)

I was lucky enough to have gotten to see them at the Starland Ballroom in Sayreville (NJ), a couple years ago, when they were doing most of the songs from Selling England, as well as Foxtrot, and I gotta say it was the closest I'll ever come to seeing the Garbriel era Genesis live, they were that good...  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Awesome! You're in for a treat, dad!

Do ya know which album (or albums) they'll be touring with this time?

QUOTE (PanaceaFish @ Dec 17 2008, 02:48 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 17 2008, 02:38 PM)

I was lucky enough to have gotten to see them at the Starland Ballroom in Sayreville (NJ), a couple years ago, when they were doing most of the songs from Selling England, as well as Foxtrot, and I gotta say it was the closest I'll ever come to seeing the Garbriel era Genesis live, they were that good...  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Awesome! You're in for a treat, dad!

Do ya know which album (or albums) they'll be touring with this time?

The Musical Box are currently recreating the Trick Of The Tail Tour, which was the first without Peter Gabriel and with Phil Collins up front. I've seen clips of this show and they seem to be doing a fantastic job so far. Although since Denis Gagne (the Peter impersonator) is taking over the role of Phil, the vocals tend to have a bit more Pete in them than Phil.

I've seen them twice, one when they did The Lamb, then the last time they did Selling England By The Pound. Fantastic band and they are as close as your going to get to the real thing.

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Dec 17 2008, 03:35 PM)
We saw The Musical Box when they were in Los Angeles doing "The Lamb" show. It was breathtaking.

As far as tribute bands go, you won't get a more visually accurate representation of vintage Genesis!

I wanted to see that so bad. Lamb is one of my favorites albums of all time.