The "Official" Genesis thread

QUOTE (Gompers @ Dec 3 2009, 07:34 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 3 2009, 02:53 PM)
I am really starting to love Trick of The Tail

ATotT and W&W are my favs. Even over the Gabriel era stuff.

Great stuff . I have had those for years, just never gave them a proper listen

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 3 2009, 08:44 PM)

They both have a haunting sound about them, especially W&W. I think the music on both is excellent start to finish. I believe Rush was very much into Genesis during the Hemisphere's writing, IMO.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Dec 3 2009, 08:12 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 3 2009, 08:44 PM)

They both have a haunting sound about them, especially W&W. I think the music on both is excellent start to finish. I believe Rush was very much into Genesis during the Hemisphere's writing, IMO.

It does sound like it

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 1 2009, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 1 2009, 08:44 PM)
I broke down yesterday and got the first box set . They made these albums sound fantastic . The d.v.d extras are great, i should have gotten this a long time ago. Does anyone have the live box set ?

It'll be under the Christmas tree in a few days, actually, it may even be in the house at this stage!!

I got the Movie Box last week though, fantastic stuff, The Way We Walk and Wembley I had, but The Mama Tour & 3 Sides Live are excellent and there's a horseload of extras too.

The 5 boxsets are bloody expensive, but worth it.

No doubt Saw!

I "saw" that Movie Box on Tuesday at Best Buy and I had to buy it!!

The five boxes are worth it all!

I have the Japanese pressings too. The difference is they all come housed in Genesis Promo Boxes in cardboard mini lp sleeves.

They are worth every Yen.

Signed,

"Midnight In Tokyo"

(that's a Y&T song that kicks ASS!)

Hey, everyone! I'm starting to get into Genesis. I know some of their hits like "Misunderstanding" and "That's All", and have also been listening to their A Trick Of The Tail album, which I really enjoy. smile.gif Any suggestions for next steps? Which albums would be best for me to explore next? Thanks!

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Dec 19 2009, 05:42 PM)
Hey, everyone! I'm starting to get into Genesis. I know some of their hits like "Misunderstanding" and "That's All", and have also been listening to their A Trick Of The Tail album, which I really enjoy. smile.gif Any suggestions for next steps? Which albums would be best for me to explore next? Thanks!

Funny you should mention "trick of the tail". I just played that one yesterday for the first time in a great while.

If you like that one, I'd suggest "Wind and Wuthering" which came after "Trick of the Tail".

If you like the poppier stuff, go with Genesis, Abacab, Duke, or Invisible Touch next.

If you like more progressive stuff, go with Wind and Wuthering (which is probably your best bet, since you like Trick and it's very similar to Trick), Selling England By The Pound, Foxtrot, Nursery Cryme, or Trespass.

Why did I leave The Lamb off of there? Because it's their hardest album to get into. When you do, you'll love it, but make it the 5th or 6th Genesis album you listen to, at least.

All of the Genesis albums are good, though. Get From Genesis To Revelation last; it's their debut, and probably their weakest. Their last album, Calling All Stations, is actually better than some people say it is. I love Ray Wilson's singing voice. smile.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 19 2009, 03:50 PM)

Funny you should mention "trick of the tail". I just played that one yesterday for the first time in a great while.

If you like that one, I'd suggest "Wind and Wuthering" which came after "Trick of the Tail".

"Trick" is the greatest "Phil" Genesis album period.

Could someone please tell me why Phil Collins is NOT in the Modern Drummer Hall Of Fame?

Makes no sense to me. I am sure many of you have heard of Phil's side band called Brand X.

It's great stuff. There is a song called "Nuclear Burn" where Phil just rips it up on the drum kit.

The guy is an amazing drummer. Where's the love? wub.gif

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Dec 20 2009, 01:07 PM)
I'm suddenly becoming enamored with ...And Then There Were Three.... I used to always feel that Say It's Alright, Joe and Many Too Many were weak tracks, but now I'm really getting into them. 1022.gif

And Then There Were Three used to be my favorite Genesis album. That was, until I discovered the rest of them. wink.gif

I keep meaning to pick up some more Genesis, but that'll have to wait a while.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Dec 19 2009, 10:37 PM)
Could someone please tell me why Phil Collins is NOT in the Modern Drummer Hall Of Fame?

Makes no sense to me.  I am sure many of you have heard of Phil's side band called Brand X.
It's great stuff.  There is a song called "Nuclear Burn" where Phil just rips it up on the drum kit.
The guy is an amazing drummer.  Where's the love?  wub.gif

You can say the same about a few Drummers that are not in it. I vote every year and have since the 80's . I really don't understand it because it is not like Rolling Stone where people that have no clue about music vote. These are Drummers voting, all i can say is write a letter to Modern Drummer . They might even print it and then you will be famous laugh.gif

Edited by metaldad

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Dec 20 2009, 01:07 PM)
I'm suddenly becoming enamored with ...And Then There Were Three.... I used to always feel that Say It's Alright, Joe and Many Too Many were weak tracks, but now I'm really getting into them. 1022.gif

I love that album as well. It's an odd one and kind of transitional. It shows that they were getting ready for a new direction towards more radio-friendly and shorter songs.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Dec 21 2009, 01:48 PM)
I'm probably the only guy on this entire forum who loves the self-titled "Shapes" album.

Home By The Sea & Mama are quite possibly two of my all-time favourite songs, period. yes.gif

Just wanted to mention that. ph34r.gif

Not on your own at all, I love it. Got it on cassette in 83. Bar Illegal Alien(which is pants), it's quite a lovely album.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 21 2009, 10:46 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Dec 21 2009, 01:48 PM)
I'm probably the only guy on this entire forum who loves the self-titled "Shapes" album.

Home By The Sea & Mama are quite possibly two of my all-time favourite songs, period.  yes.gif

Just wanted to mention that.  ph34r.gif

Not on your own at all, I love it. Got it on cassette in 83. Bar Illegal Alien(which is pants), it's quite a lovely album.

Funny, I like "Illegal Alien". I have memories attached to that song, so that's why I like it.

I love the self-titled album too, even Illegal Alien tongue.gif

One of my fave albums, and it has my fave Genesis song - Silver Rainbow smile.gif

Picked up Trespass at Best Buy for only $7.99.

Well, to be honest, they've had the same two copies for months, so I just went ahead and bought one of them.

edited for grammar

Edited by Xanadu93

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 21 2009, 10:09 PM)
My all-time favorite song by Genesis

LOVE IT!

I loe the vid, tongue.gif although that doesn't have the good stuff at the end of course..

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Dec 21 2009, 10:15 PM)
Picked up Trespass at Best Buy for only $7.99.

Well, to be honest, they've had the same two copies for months, so I just went ahead and bought one of them.

edited for grammar

Stagnation - wub.gif