The "Official" Genesis thread

QUOTE (Soni @ Jan 1 2009, 02:50 PM)
from Billboard.com:

With a third box set of catalog upgrades looming, a reunion of Genesis' revered 1971-75 lineup is still in the ether -- but hardly in stone.

"We've never said never about it, you know," keyboardist Tony Banks tells Billboard.com. "I know Phil (Collins) would be quite happy with the idea of just playing the drums; it would be quite fun for him. Mike (Rutherford) and I are certainly happy to do it. I know Steve (Hackett) is keen as well. I think it'd be down to Peter (Gabriel) more than anyone else."

Gabriel was actually the first to broach the idea of reuniting that Genesis lineup, initially for a handful of performances of the 1974 concept piece "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway," in 2004. He later pulled back in order to concentrate on a solo album he's still making. It did lead to Banks, Collins and Rutherford reuniting for a tour in 2007, and there are still hopes that the older roster will eventually do something together.

"It would be fun to do something like that purely for the fun of working together again and seeing where it takes you," Rutherford notes. Hackett adds that, "I think we should do this before one of us dies; we're not getting any younger, to quote one of the songs, so maybe one day it'll happen." Banks, meanwhile, says that rather than merely "The Lamb...," he'd like to see the group "do a sort of best-of from that era. You want to do things like 'Supper's Ready,' I think, and 'The Musical Box,' definitely."

All of that music is showcased on "Genesis: 1970-1975," a seven-CD and six-DVD box set that includes upgraded editions of all five albums the group recorded between those years. Each has a DVD of time-appropriate performance footage and new interviews, as well as a set of rare "Extras." It's the third in a series of boxed reissues, saved for last even though they're earlier recordings.

"I think they're the ones there's possibly more anticipation for," Banks says. "These albums have a reputation but they probably didn't sell as many in the first place, so there's a feeling that they have a chance to do something now."

Banks says Genesis is considering some further catalog reissues, including a possible boxed set of the group's several live albums as well as issuing single shows for sale via band's Web site. He's also put together a remastered version of his 1979 solo album "A Curious Feeling" that he plans to release in 2009.

applaudit.gif Amazing!

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Jan 9 2009, 12:05 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 8 2009, 07:49 PM)
Goobs is playing side 1 of Nursery Cryme!!!!!!!!

notworthy.gif

AAAAAAAGH!!! I am sorry I missed that!!!

I had a very good reason though...can't divulge it just yet. wink.gif

I missed it too! comp26.gif doh.gif banghead.gif

QUOTE (Ru5h F@n @ Jan 9 2009, 05:47 PM)
My favorite albums were:

1. Abacab
2. Genesis
3. Invisible Touch
4. We Can't Dance

I love the self-titled Genesis album - I'm hooked on the song Silver Rainbow! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Jaye @ Jan 9 2009, 03:51 PM)
My favorite albums were:

1. Abacab
2. Genesis
3. Invisible Touch
4. We Can't Dance

I love the self-titled Genesis album - I'm hooked on the song Silver Rainbow! biggrin.gif

The self-titled Genesis album is great!!!! Very underrated IMO. Well at least the second side of it is. Side One (I'm talking in vinyl terms lol) has the classics Mama, That's All (their first US Top Ten hit), and the epic Home By The Sea.

Side Two is just as great. Silver Rainbow, Just A Job To Do, and It's Gonna Get Better are ALL quality songs. Illegal Alien is slightly annoying though, even though it has a hilarious music video.

If you have not heard this album I strongly recommend you to check it out. Very solid!! yes.gif

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Dec 29 2008, 03:34 PM)
If you become a monster fan of this music you're going to want both the older editions and the new remixes.

I'm hopelessly biased, so I think you ought to track down used copies of the originals, and then, if you fall for them, save up for the box.  Just one guy's opinion!

I agree that they did a better job on the 70-75 box than the 76-82 box re: compression.  I can't even listen to the 76-82 box.  My disc of Trick of the Tail nearly went out the car window I was so pissed off. WAY too much compression there!

For those of you wondering about the compression, I compared the following:

-The Musical Box 2008

-Nocturne (possibly Rush's most compressed tune)

-Eleventh Earl of Mar 2007

-Down and Out 2007

-Abacab (pre-1994; REALLY old)

-Counting Out Time 2008

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/bcuzliekomg/Compression.jpg

As you can see The Musical Box got very heavily compressed in some spots, but Counting Out Time isn't too badly compared to the '07's. Most of the songs in this box set seem to be closer to the level of Counting Out Time than The Musical Box.

QUOTE (Jaye @ Jan 9 2009, 04:51 PM)
My favorite albums were:

1. Abacab
2. Genesis
3. Invisible Touch
4. We Can't Dance

Great song!!!! 653.gif

QUOTE (Ru5h F@n @ Jan 9 2009, 12:47 PM)
My favorite albums were:

1. Abacab
2. Genesis
3. Invisible Touch
4. We Can't Dance

you really need to listen to the first few albums

1022.gif

QUOTE (Soni @ Jan 1 2009, 09:50 AM)
from Billboard.com:

With a third box set of catalog upgrades looming, a reunion of Genesis' revered 1971-75 lineup is still in the ether -- but hardly in stone.

"We've never said never about it, you know," keyboardist Tony Banks tells Billboard.com. "I know Phil (Collins) would be quite happy with the idea of just playing the drums; it would be quite fun for him. Mike (Rutherford) and I are certainly happy to do it. I know Steve (Hackett) is keen as well. I think it'd be down to Peter (Gabriel) more than anyone else."

Gabriel was actually the first to broach the idea of reuniting that Genesis lineup, initially for a handful of performances of the 1974 concept piece "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway," in 2004. He later pulled back in order to concentrate on a solo album he's still making. It did lead to Banks, Collins and Rutherford reuniting for a tour in 2007, and there are still hopes that the older roster will eventually do something together.

"It would be fun to do something like that purely for the fun of working together again and seeing where it takes you," Rutherford notes. Hackett adds that, "I think we should do this before one of us dies; we're not getting any younger, to quote one of the songs, so maybe one day it'll happen." Banks, meanwhile, says that rather than merely "The Lamb...," he'd like to see the group "do a sort of best-of from that era. You want to do things like 'Supper's Ready,' I think, and 'The Musical Box,' definitely."

Excellent! 1022.gif

Nick D'Virgilo's Myspace

Check out Nick D'Virgilo's side project Rewiring Genesis. Nick is the drummer for Spock's Beard. He recently put out a "rewiring" of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. It is breathtaking.

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Jan 9 2009, 05:57 PM)
QUOTE (Soni @ Jan 1 2009, 09:50 AM)
from Billboard.com:

Excellent! 1022.gif

Nick D'Virgilo's Myspace

Check out Nick D'Virgilo's side project Rewiring Genesis. Nick is the drummer for Spock's Beard. He recently put out a "rewiring" of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. It is breathtaking.

yep, it's great

1022.gif

listening to A TRICK OF THE TAIL this a.m. really good album. i really have not listened to it since i had it on vinyl .

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 25 2009, 03:07 PM)
listening to A TRICK OF THE TAIL this a.m. really good album. i really have not listened to it since i had it on vinyl .

TOTT has one of the greatest album intros ever!

If I had to choose a fav G album would have to be Foxtrot.. But if I had to choose the fav song it would be Firth of Fifth hands down...

But I am also a HUGE fan of the Collins era. We Can't Dance is a masterpiece.. Driving the Last Spike is one of my very favs...

Absolutealy adore Genesis, been a fan since the age of 11. They are officially my No.2 fav band tongue.gif

QUOTE (HisCounterpart @ Jan 25 2009, 11:21 AM)
listening to  A TRICK OF THE TAIL this a.m.  really good album. i really have not listened to it since i had it on vinyl .

If I had to choose a fav G album would have to be Foxtrot.. But if I had to choose the fav song it would be Firth of Fifth hands down...

But I am also a HUGE fan of the Collins era. We Can't Dance is a masterpiece.. Driving the Last Spike is one of my very favs...

Absolutealy adore Genesis, been a fan since the age of 11. They are officially my No.2 fav band tongue.gif

There was some crap on WCD, IMO, but also some gems, like you point out. Driving the Last Spike and Fading Lights are simply awesome tunes.

My favorite albums were:

1. Abacab
2. Genesis
3. Invisible Touch
4. We Can't Dance

i can not get into these at all. they just should have started calling themselves PHIL COLLINS and GENESIS . imo

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 25 2009, 09:42 AM)
My favorite albums were:

1. Abacab
2. Genesis
3. Invisible Touch
4. We Can't Dance

i can not get into these at all. they just should have started calling themselves PHIL COLLINS and GENESIS . imo

I still like Abacab a lot and the self-titled album is about half-great, half-terrible. We Can't Dance has roughly 50 out of 70 minutes of pretty good material, but nothing great like in the Hackett days. Invisible Touch only has Domino (which is a million times better live than the crappy studio version), Tonight Tonight Tonight, and Land of Confusion. Aside from Duke, there's nothing I'd put on the same level as the Hackett days from the 80's.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jan 25 2009, 03:36 PM)
QUOTE (HisCounterpart @ Jan 25 2009, 11:21 AM)
listening to  A TRICK OF THE TAIL this a.m.  really good album. i really have not listened to it since i had it on vinyl .

There was some crap on WCD, IMO, but also some gems, like you point out. Driving the Last Spike and Fading Lights are simply awesome tunes.

Agreed 100%! There's a song on WCD called Alone Tonight or something like that which is one of the worst G songs ever IMO, along with Please Don't Ask off Duke.. But Fading Lights is so powerful.. The Genesis Swan Song... Those huge keyboard chords when the instrumental part kicks in - it's one of the very best Genesis moments for me! bncegrn.gif

Selling England is my all-time favourite, it has a special atmoshpere and a strong conception (which is highly important for Rog Waters all-time fans biggrin.gif)

I have a reccomendation....

If you are a fan of the Peter Gabriel era of Genesis I strongly reccomend the band called "IQ".... musically they are very simiular.

I reccomend the album "subterrenia"

I was listening to disk 1 of "The Lamb..." today. I still prefer the second disk.

The whole album is spotty. It features some great songs while at the same time has songs that just don't interest me. I don't like "Back in NYC" because it irritates me.

The title song is brilliant though as is the final tune "it".