the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

19 hours ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I could get by if the only music I could listen to for the rest of my life was The Beatles' discography and their respective solo discographies.  As I get older, I return to something Beatles'-related more and more frequently.

Same, but with Amon Amarth.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BastillePark said:

That's understandable since there is so little difference between those 2 bands. :wink:

I think you misunderstood.   I have no time for the Beatles, it's all Amon Amarth all the time...Lennon and McCartney would have killed for AA's sense of melody.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

I think you misunderstood.   I have no time for the Beatles, it's all Amon Amarth all the time...Lennon and McCartney would have killed for AA's sense of melody.

Poser.   You might as well listen to Britney Spears.

1 minute ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Poser.   You might as well listen to Britney Spears.

Listen to her what?

The ConstruKction of Light is one of the most fascinating albums I've heard. The interplay between the quartet is mesmerizing, I truly think it's one of the groups best projects. Belew is hypnotizing on Into The Frying Pan

Just  a thought

I never used to do this but as i'm rounding 40 (god, lol)  I skip more and more tracks on albums on albums.  Never used to.  But really i have less patience now for songs i do not like.  some people will say i'm ruining the album experience but no i'm not gonna waste my life on bad tracks sorry, lol

Really albums over 50 minutes test me.  Unless it's like prog.  but i'm paying Jackson Browne and all his later albums run like 58 minutes.  i could cut at least 2 songs off each his last 4.

Anyway.  i'm becoming a crankier music fan........i like it.:laugh2:

Mick

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So far this year has been great for women in music, at least from my perspective. Nearly all of my AOTY contenders at the moment are fronted by women, at least in part.

100 Gecs - 10000 Gecs (Laura Les)

Paramore - This Is Why (Haley Williams)

boygenius - The Record (Lucy Dacus, Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers)

Jessie Ware - That! Feels Good! (Jessie Ware)

Kesha - Gag Order (Kesha)

Add in a couple others I've checked out that won't compete for that top spot but are still quite good to great and female fronted:

Tanukichan - GIZMO (Hannah van Loon, honestly I just remembered I listened to this one and how much I liked it, will need to revisit but this could also be in the AOTY convo depending on how that revisit goes)

Margot Price - Strays (Margot Price)

Olivia Jean - Raving Ghost (Olivia Jean, now Jack White's fiancé I think?)

Gabrielle Aplin - Phosphorescent (Gabrielle Aplin)

Miley Cyrus - Endless Summer Vacation (Miley Cyrus, okay this one is actually pretty mid but that song Flowers has proven to be a well deserved lasting hit for Miley, and there are at least a couple other winners in this tracklist as well)

Heck, I even liked that new Maneskin record, and their bass player is a woman (Victoria De Angelis)

I should probably check out the new Lana Del Ray album as well.... she's not always been my cup of tea but I can see myself getting into her eventually.

On 5/29/2023 at 2:19 AM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

So far this year has been great for women in music, at least from my perspective. Nearly all of my AOTY contenders at the moment are fronted by women, at least in part.

100 Gecs - 10000 Gecs (Laura Les)

Paramore - This Is Why (Haley Williams)

boygenius - The Record (Lucy Dacus, Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers)

Jessie Ware - That! Feels Good! (Jessie Ware)

Kesha - Gag Order (Kesha)

Add in a couple others I've checked out that won't compete for that top spot but are still quite good to great and female fronted:

Tanukichan - GIZMO (Hannah van Loon, honestly I just remembered I listened to this one and how much I liked it, will need to revisit but this could also be in the AOTY convo depending on how that revisit goes)

Margot Price - Strays (Margot Price)

Olivia Jean - Raving Ghost (Olivia Jean, now Jack White's fiancé I think?)

Gabrielle Aplin - Phosphorescent (Gabrielle Aplin)

Miley Cyrus - Endless Summer Vacation (Miley Cyrus, okay this one is actually pretty mid but that song Flowers has proven to be a well deserved lasting hit for Miley, and there are at least a couple other winners in this tracklist as well)

Heck, I even liked that new Maneskin record, and their bass player is a woman (Victoria De Angelis)

I should probably check out the new Lana Del Ray album as well.... she's not always been my cup of tea but I can see myself getting into her eventually.

I would also like to give a shout out to a female fronted band. Blood Ceremony's new album The Old Ways Remain is very good. They have a female vocalist who also plays the flute. They have a psychedelic vibe to their sound. A very old school rock  sound. They have been around for a long time now and I have no clue why they are still so unknown.

On 4/5/2023 at 3:36 PM, Rick N. Backer said:

I could get by if the only music I could listen to for the rest of my life was The Beatles' discography and their respective solo discographies.  As I get older, I return to something Beatles'-related more and more frequently.

I feel this quite often as well.

Regarding the new Lana del Rey... I found it a mixed bag but the good tunes on it are stellar, such as The Grants and the title track.

Certainly is not the album I'd recommend someone to start with . That would be Norman f***ing Rockwell.

On 5/25/2023 at 1:51 PM, bluefox4000 said:

Just  a thought

I never used to do this but as i'm rounding 40 (god, lol)  I skip more and more tracks on albums on albums.  Never used to.  But really i have less patience now for songs i do not like.  some people will say i'm ruining the album experience but no i'm not gonna waste my life on bad tracks sorry, lol

Really albums over 50 minutes test me.  Unless it's like prog.  but i'm paying Jackson Browne and all his later albums run like 58 minutes.  i could cut at least 2 songs off each his last 4.

Anyway.  i'm becoming a crankier music fan........i like it.:laugh2:

Mick

I remember that feeling with Keith Richards' "new" album Crosseyed Heart....it was like a really enjoyable 33 minute album...that ran 58 minutes. 🙄😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Timbale said:

I remember that feeling with Keith Richards' "new" album Crosseyed Heart....it was like a really enjoyable 33 minute album...that ran 58 minutes. 🙄😂

in my perfect world all you need for album runtime is 40-45 minutes.

Mick

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

in my perfect world all you need for album runtime is 40-45 minutes.

Mick

What about like 30ish minute albums? Like a few Weezer albums hover just over the 30 mark.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

What about like 30ish minute albums? Like a few Weezer albums hover just over the 30 mark.

or green day recently.  25 minute in out album, lol.

Mick

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

or green day recently.  25 minute in out album, lol.

Mick

Father Of All! Ha!

I bought that on vinyl for 6 bucks very shortly after it came out. Brand new from Amazon in fact. In case you needed another metric for how much people hated it, lol.

28 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

some Strokes too... really depends on the type of music youre making I guess

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ST3V said:

some Strokes too... really depends on the type of music youre making I guess

Exactly, never expect a new Metallica, Iron Maiden or Dream Theater album to be less than 70 minutes. For a band like The Strokes that would probably be a ridiculously long album.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Father Of All! Ha!

I bought that on vinyl for 6 bucks very shortly after it came out. Brand new from Amazon in fact. In case you needed another metric for how much people hated it, lol.

i still love that record.  Folks are so hard to please.  it's just a fun lil album relax everyone, lol

Mick

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BastillePark said:

A while back hating Nickelback was the thing to do but their stuff is no more formulaic than AC/DC.

Hating Nickelback is still the thing to do. And it’s not because of them being formulaic, it’s because they sound awful and their songs mostly suck.

13 hours ago, BastillePark said:

Why do so many music listeners judge other music listeners because of the music they listen to?

if there's one thing i hate about music it's the fans.  no really.  people states opinions on music like it's fact and wee'll get offended if you dare think different.

Music fans are so insecure.  axnd yes i've done it too, lol.

Mick

• Like 1