the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

I've tried for maybe the billionth time today. But nope. Pet Sounds may be the most overrated Over hyped record in music history.

I know people hate the term overrated. but no other word describes it for me. Sorry.

Mick

I LOVE THIS ALBUM SOOOOOOOOO MUUUUUUUCH!!

I prefer it to so many of the Beatles albums! And Bruce Springsteen...and every single Rush album. IT IS PERFECTION!!

EVERY Rush album? You may want to reconsider.

He's get's over-excited, lol

Mick

Its true. Blame it on all the popping candy.

• Like 2

Triumph is a really great band. Shame I never really heard 'em growing up!

True. I bought their first 3 albums when they came out. I wore the sh*t out of them.... :) good call Hobo Edited by Narpzilla

Triumph is a really great band. Shame I never really heard 'em growing up!

True. I bought their first 3 albums when they came out. I wore the sh*t out of them.... :) good call Hobo

I've got the magic power of the music in me. Such a great banmd.

Sometimes I'm convinced there is nothing new or original to do in popular music. Nothing. It just comes down to how good you are at doing it. And how stupid your targeted demographic is.

I sort of agree, but I am so busy discovering GREAT music of the past, I really couldn't care less about the state of modern music. The sounds of the past are proving to be the soundtrack my future, and long may it continue!

The 2nd part of the guitar intro to Iron Maiden's Fear of the Dark is much LOOSER (not sloppier) on the studio version than all the many live versions of the song. (Starting at 27 seconds on the studio version and where the crowds begin to chant on the live versions.)

The notes are very late on the beat. Hadn't noticed that before.

• Like 1

Our 16 yr. old nephew came up to us and asked if we would be OK with making him several mix CD's with "old school metal".

He's very much into newer heavy stuff like Bullet For My Valentine, Black Veil Brides, etc. but has really enjoyed the music we play whenever he comes over.

He said he wants to get into "the stuff that inspired my favourite bands". COOL!!!

AND HE SPECIFICALLY ASKED FOR A BLUE OYSTER CULT ALBUM. "Songs of theirs I never hear on the radio."

Fire Of Unknown Origin and a few kickass metal mixes, ahoy!!!!!!

Wire's 154 is still so far ahead of the game, it's not even a contest.

So true. I like to play 154 back to back with Pere Ubu's Dub Housing. Post-Punk masterpieces that are the templates of so much that followed.

• Like 1

The more I think about it, the more I really regret not discovering more music when I was younger. I know a lot of bands and artists now, of course, but I still think there's too much more out there to discover and that life is way too short for me to actually listen to a comparable amount of them to really consider myself someone who is decently qualified to talk about listening to a lot of artists.

Wire's 154 is still so far ahead of the game, it's not even a contest.

Just listened to it yesterday for the first time actually. Loved it.

I'm taking this album in again. Seriously, there are so many layers, so much going on. Simple and complex. Oh what a pearl, what a well made world...

• Like 1

There's a lot to wonder about Hendrix, Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

On one hand it's the greatest supergroup that never was... On the other, jumping to four prominent musicians could have been very chaotic. At times ELP almost suffers from too much as it is, and only with three members... And Jimi on his own is a lot to try and keep up with too!

I guess it's best that it never happened, but was suggested. Interesting piece of musical history.