the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

QUOTE (Steevo @ Jan 2 2011, 06:49 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 2 2011, 07:33 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Jan 2 2011, 01:27 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 2 2011, 07:21 PM)
I will go to my grave thinking The Bends is better than OK Computer.

no.gif

yes.gif bekloppt.gif trink39.gif tongue.gif

laugh.gif 653.gif trink39.gif

That was the happiest argument I've ever seen.

Would this be the place for this....?

I'm coming to think that music is the one thing that makes the human race worthwhile. One day the aliens will come down and ask us to justify the existence of the human race. And we will play them MUSIC. From Brahms to Yes, Handel to Rush, Bach to MUSE.... perhaps they will spare us because we can create such soul-stirring beauty and heart-wrenching despair.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 2 2011, 06:27 AM)

I'm coming to think that music is the one thing that makes the human race worthwhile. One day the aliens will come down and ask us to justify the existence of the human race. And we will play them MUSIC. From Brahms to Yes, Handel to Rush, Bach to MUSE.... perhaps they will spare us because we can create such soul-stirring beauty and heart-wrenching despair.

Nah...They'll like the music, but they'll eat us for dinner just the same.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Dec 29 2010, 02:27 PM)
Ryan Adams and the Cardinals' Cold Roses has some of the coolest packaging i've ever seen. I have yet to listen to it all the way through, but considering it's a Ryan Adams-fronted project it's bound to be brilliant musically too.

The album is fantastic. Some really heartfelt songs. I love Rosebud and How do You Keep Love Alive. I saw Furthur earlier this year and they perform Magnolia Mountain quite often.

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Dec 28 2010, 08:06 PM)
Phil Collins is a far better drummer than I previously realized.

Agreed. He is one of the most solid players out there. Always enjoyed the drum duet he did with Chester.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 2 2011, 04:27 AM)

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 2 2011, 07:27 AM)

the thing about music that has always amazed me is that every ancient culture developed its own music. for various reasons -- keeping rhythm in manual labor, worship, entertainment...but even before worldwide linkage and networking, music was still 100% universal.

I heard that the album Holidays in Eden by Marillion was one of their worse, so I got it and listened to it, not expecting to be impressed. I liked it and even though it is more "mainstream" and "pop" than their other albums but it is still a good album. Edited by ColdFireYYZ

laugh.gif

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Jan 5 2011, 10:46 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 5 2011, 08:31 PM)
Eat a Peach by The Allman Brothers Band is probably the best double album ever recorded.

I'm sorry sir, but that honor belongs to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. dazed025.gif

London Calling, baby, London Calling.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 5 2011, 07:54 PM)
QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Jan 5 2011, 10:46 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 5 2011, 08:31 PM)
Eat a Peach by The Allman Brothers Band is probably the best double album ever recorded.

I'm sorry sir, but that honor belongs to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. dazed025.gif

London Calling, baby, London Calling.

*Ahem* Quadrophenia? laugh.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 2 2011, 01:33 AM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Jan 2 2011, 01:27 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 2 2011, 07:21 PM)
I will go to my grave thinking The Bends is better than OK Computer.

no.gif

yes.gif bekloppt.gif trink39.gif tongue.gif

some folks have a lot of trouble with anything more than simple pop

OK Computer isn't for everyone