Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

I mentioned that there was plans for a new Porcupine Tree DVD for release this year awhile back, now it's official. According to the latest KScope podcast the 2CD/DVD set will be released on November 5th and will be titled, Octane Twisted. Both the DVD and audio are from the May 2, 2010 show (KScope or whoever wrote the article below made an error; the actual date was April 30th) at the Riviera Theater in Chicago.

http://starsdie.com/wp/porcupine-tree-octa...d-november-5th/

And this was the setlist for that show.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/porcupine-tr...l-73d4eefd.html

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Aug 4 2012, 03:13 AM)
I mentioned that there was plans for a new Porcupine Tree DVD for release this year awhile back, now it's official. According to the latest KScope podcast the 2CD/DVD set will be released on November 5th and will be titled, Octane Twisted. Both the DVD and audio are from the May 2, 2010 show (KScope or whoever wrote the article below made an error; the actual date was April 30th) at the Riviera Theater in Chicago.

Excellent! Thanks for that smile.gif

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Aug 3 2012, 11:13 AM)

I was hoping for some tracks from Radio City but this is still good news.

I was hoping for some songs from the RCMH/RAH shows as well but at least we get The Incident in full plus Stars Die, Russia on Ice, and Bonnie the Cat which have yet to appear on a live album or DVD. Maybe they'll do a download release for the RCMH/RAH shows like they did for Atlanta, but I heard SW thinks the performance for both shows were not good. He said they weren't up to PT standards to get released, but I think for sentimental reasons it should be released cause I think PT won't do a show like that ever again. Funny cause he said the same thing about Coma Divine yet that somehow got released anyway.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Aug 3 2012, 06:59 PM)
I was hoping for some songs from the RCMH/RAH shows as well but at least we get The Incident in full plus Stars Die, Russia on Ice, and Bonnie the Cat which have yet to appear on a live album or DVD. Maybe they'll do a download release for the RCMH/RAH shows like they did for Atlanta, but I heard SW thinks the performance for both shows were not good. He said they weren't up to PT standards to get released, but I think for sentimental reasons it should be released cause I think PT won't do a show like that ever again. Funny cause he said the same thing about Coma Divine yet that somehow got released anyway.

I heard there's a video bootleg for the RCMH show so I might check it out. I remember SW said that they were under tight time restraints so it wasn't the best show they could have done. I thought it was great though.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Aug 3 2012, 11:13 AM)

653.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Aug 3 2012, 06:03 PM)
QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Aug 3 2012, 06:59 PM)
I was hoping for some songs from the RCMH/RAH shows as well but at least we get The Incident in full plus Stars Die, Russia on Ice, and Bonnie the Cat which have yet to appear on a live album or DVD. Maybe they'll do a download release for the RCMH/RAH shows like they did for Atlanta, but I heard SW  thinks the performance for both shows were not good. He said they weren't up to PT standards to get released, but I think for sentimental reasons it should be released cause I think PT won't do a show like that ever again. Funny cause he said the same thing about Coma Divine yet that somehow got released anyway.

I heard there's a video bootleg for the RCMH show so I might check it out. I remember SW said that they were under tight time restraints so it wasn't the best show they could have done. I thought it was great though.

Yep, there's a video boot from that show circulating, but it's kinda hard to find at the moment. I manged to find out about the existence of the boot shortly after the show and I was lucky enough to see the video itself for a short period. I was at the show as well, and the source came from what looks like the center of 1st Mezzanine seating which was near where I was. It's a pretty good boot, but it's been a good year/year and a half since I last saw it circulating. This was filmed by the famed NYCBC (New York City Bitch Committee) who specialize in video boots for concerts in the NY/NJ area.

As for the strict 11PM curfew, I don't recall what time they finished, but had they gone past 11PM, they would've had to pay $10,000 per minute they go over. When Dream Theater did the Score DVD, they had to pay $20,000 in fines.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Aug 3 2012, 04:13 PM)

1022.gif 653.gif 1022.gif

Good news, thanks!

Awesome news! can't wait to get this. I hope a Blue Ray is also in the works...I am sure SW will have a limted box thingie through Burning Shed like the last one....I am on board! Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Steevo @ Aug 3 2012, 01:38 PM)
QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Aug 4 2012, 03:13 AM)

Excellent! Thanks for that smile.gif

That was an excellent tour!

The second leg was even better.

QUOTE (shail @ Aug 7 2012, 05:50 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyqenyAnal8...player_embedded

they are not breaking up for petes sake. just a long break. gavin explains what is going on in this video.

The band chemistry is breaking down. Gavin's speak said basically, "we are, or some of us are, sick of each other and we need to get together with someone different." This is what happens sometimes. They will get back together when everyone is bored with there individual pursuits.

I wish they would release the recording of the show they did at Radio City in NYC. I was at the show, and the setlist was unbelievable.

I asked Steven Wilson at his appearance at J&R in NYC if they were going to release the recording, and he said, "No...sorry. I listened to the recording, and it sounded like shit." laugh.gif

Having seen the clip from SW's solo DVD, what jumps out for me (apart that from the track being 12 minutes of utter shite) is how much he seems to be enoying himself. Never saw him so animated on stage with PT in 8 gigs in 7 years.

That seals the deal for me-no more PT ever. Ever since that gig at the Albert Hall, all the signs have been there, and this confirms it-his current direction satisfies SW's artistic and creative needs far more than any of his other projects.

And before I'm burned at the stake for blasphemous heresy, I don't want PT to end and really would like more PT in the future, but despite all the half hearted "PT will bet back together at some point" statements there are too many pieces of info that strongly suggest otherwise.

-why bring such a cult band to the status of playing RCMH and the Albert Hall and then stop, thereby halting the momentum built up over the last few years?

- the having a break thing is too much like when one person in the relationship says we need a break when what they really mean they want to be with someone else, except SW wants to be alone/solo

-rumours from management that have had to be "clarified"

-plans being changed and PT being put further and further on the back burner

-complete lack of clarity about PT when it is very clear what is happening with the solo project

-PT's success has probably been successful enough to allow SW this artistic and creative freedom

-and now it is clear to see a completely different person on stage than he was with PT, a person who is seemingly much more confident and happy than in any PT show I saw, Albert Hall included

Speculation? Absolutely, and just in case anyone thinks he would tell us, the truth is that a LOT of PT fans would be very pissed off if he made that announcement (and despite all the professed love for him they would jump ship in a flash) and he simply can't afford to alienate his fan base by killing off PT. Dangle a carrot, say PT isn't dead and build up the fan base for his solo work and then kill PT is a more likely and less risky scenario imo.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 12 2012, 05:54 PM)
I think Steven is just into his thing right now.  PT is not done.

This.

He seems to be into jazz/fusion inspired prog right now, which he can't do with PT since Barbieri supposedly hates jazz. PT will probably be back once he's done with this style (which I love).

QUOTE (Sin City @ Aug 12 2012, 04:42 PM)
Having seen the clip from SW's solo DVD, what jumps out for me (apart that from the track being 12 minutes of utter shite) is how much he seems to be enoying himself. Never saw him so animated on stage with PT in 8 gigs in 7 years.
That seals the deal for me-no more PT ever. Ever since that gig at the Albert Hall, all the signs have been there, and this confirms it-his current direction satisfies SW's artistic and creative needs far more than any of his other projects.
And before I'm burned at the stake for blasphemous heresy, I don't want PT to end and really would like more PT in the future, but despite all the half hearted "PT will bet back together at some point" statements there are too many pieces of info that strongly suggest otherwise.

-why bring such a cult band to the status of playing RCMH and the Albert Hall and then stop, thereby halting the momentum built up over the last few years?

- the having a break thing is too much like when one person in the relationship says we need a break when what they really mean they want to be with someone else, except SW wants to be alone/solo

-complete lack of clarity about PT when it is very clear what is happening with the solo project

-PT's success has probably been successful enough to allow SW this artistic and creative freedom

-and now it is clear to see a completely different person on stage than he was with PT, a person who is seemingly much more confident and happy than in any PT show I saw, Albert Hall included

Speculation? Absolutely, and just in case anyone thinks he would tell us, the truth is that a LOT of PT fans would be very pissed off if he made that announcement (and despite all the professed love for him they would jump ship in a flash) and he simply can't afford to alienate his fan base by killing off PT. Dangle a carrot, say PT isn't dead and build up the fan base for his solo work and then kill PT is a more likely and less risky scenario imo.

You really make SW out to be some sort of idiot that doesn't know what he's doing with his projects. I don't really get that. He's building up all this hype for his solo career just so he can kill PT at the right time? I mean, if you're right, I'll give you credit. But it seems pretty far out there to me.

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Aug 12 2012, 11:19 PM)

You really make SW out to be some sort of idiot that doesn't know what he's doing with his projects. I don't really get that. He's building up all this hype for his solo career just so he can kill PT at the right time? I mean, if you're right, I'll give you credit. But it seems pretty far out there to me.

No what he's saying is that it would be a risk if Wilson wrapped up PT before he did this solo thing. As long as PT is still "there" then he has his audience. Once PT goes his fanbase will fragment and he'll be much less successful.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 12 2012, 05:54 PM)
I think Steven is just into his thing right now. PT is not done.

PT was a band extension of SW. It was SW not being a solo artist per se, but testing the waters. PT was a device for him. He is riding a wave now as a solo artist.

I miss PT immensely.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Aug 12 2012, 06:57 PM)
No what he's saying is that it would be a risk if Wilson wrapped up PT before he did this solo thing. As long as PT is still "there" then he has his audience. Once PT goes his fanbase will fragment and he'll be much less successful.

Could be. I expect what you say. I really do not dig much solo stuff he does, but obviously, many do,

QUOTE (Tony R @ Aug 12 2012, 05:57 PM)
QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Aug 12 2012, 11:19 PM)

Which is pure bull. You like Steven Wilson? You go see his show, whether PT is "existing" or not. Anyone who skips out as a fan because PT ends up calling it a day isn't exactly a great fan. I mean, yeah, if you don't like his solo work, then you would obviously want to see PT perform. But I don't think SW is dangling the band for a while to keep his solo career afloat. That's kinda ridiculous.

I really don't think it'll fragment anything. Unless you expect to hear PT material at a SW solo concert, which would be your problem.

Question, and sorry if this has already been covered (this thread is currently 169 pages long...).

Why is Stupid Dream the only PT album NOT available for download? Amazon, iTunes, whatever... Its not available. And I havent found an answer through normal searches.

QUOTE (humble-dumb @ Aug 14 2012, 03:27 PM)
Question, and sorry if this has already been covered (this thread is currently 169 pages long...).

Why is Stupid Dream the only PT album NOT available for download? Amazon, iTunes, whatever... Its not available. And I havent found an answer through normal searches.

Stupid Dream's available to download here, but I'll give you a heads up, this is a FLAC download so you'll need something like VLC Player (it's free) to play it.

https://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupine...roduct/94/1184/

As to why it's not on Amazon, iTunes, etc. I can't answer that because I don't know why either. It was once available on iTunes as I recall seeing it on the iTunes store about 2 years ago, but I guess it disappeared since then.