Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

Porcupine Tree is as over as King Crimson was after Red in 1974.

They'll come back, and it will be different.

SW must be asked 365 times a year when the band will end their hiatus, if he wanted to disband PT, he would have said it.

But a HUGE section of his fanbase has come to him through PT, which, don't forget was originally a side project to No Man. Said it before, but Wilson is quite savvy about his "buisiness" and he knows full well that if he kills off PT he will lose a good percentage of that fan base because of peoples attachment to him through PT.

Don't get me wrong, l would love more PT but l think that ship has long sailed, whatever SW says. I would be delighted to be proved wrong.....................................

I did not like The Incident when it came out, but about a year or so later I heard it and enjoyed it. Last summer I started listening to it quite a bit and found the live version to be a wonderful listen. It is not FOABP, but it is good in its own right. Took a while for me to get into it though.

I agree Fear is superior to The Incident but I took to it straight away. I would rank the albums as Fear, The Incident and Deadwing and believe PT are still on a roll.

I agree they are on a roll. I thought they peaked at FOABP, but I also think that Deadwing is phenomenal. As much as I love Signify, Sky, and Voyage, I really like the direction they took with Deadwing, In Absentia and what followed. For a few years, they were constantly in my car, home, and workplace. At the time, even more than Rush, gasp...

octane twisted is not very good. the performance is great but the sound is pure crap. just some board mix.

Dunno what you're listening to it on but it sounds super-fine for me, luvin it :huh:

:goodone:

I did not like The Incident when it came out, but about a year or so later I heard it and enjoyed it. Last summer I started listening to it quite a bit and found the live version to be a wonderful listen. It is not FOABP, but it is good in its own right. Took a while for me to get into it though.

I agree Fear is superior to The Incident but I took to it straight away. I would rank the albums as Fear, The Incident and Deadwing and believe PT are still on a roll.

I agree they are on a roll. I thought they peaked at FOABP, but I also think that Deadwing is phenomenal. As much as I love Signify, Sky, and Voyage, I really like the direction they took with Deadwing, In Absentia and what followed. For a few years, they were constantly in my car, home, and workplace. At the time, even more than Rush, gasp...

I got into PT when FOABP came out. I loved it and thought it was an amazing concept album. I quickly got Deadwing and In Absentia, followed later by Lightbulb Sun. These last 4 releases (In Absentia through The Incident) are my favorites. While I like the earlier PT ok, for me it doesn't compare to the metal years.

Oh boy, time to get controversial...

SW's prog rock > his prog metal

So I'm more than fine with any length of a hiatus. In fact, I didn't even care about PT until I heard SW's 2011 album. You could dig through my TRF posts and see that pretty clear.

The thing was, I was being directed wrong. FOABP and Absentia are PT's weaker albums to me. I still think the majority of Absentia is kind of monotonous.

Up the Downstair, Deadwing (there they got the metal bits right imo), and Stupid Dream would have to be my favorites.

Edited by Mr. IsNot

So I'm more than fine with any length of a hiatus. In fact, I didn't even care about PT until I heard SW's 2011 album. You could dig through my TRF posts and see that pretty clear.

The thing was, I was being directed wrong. FOABP and Absentia are PT's weaker albums to me. I still think the majority of Absentia is kind of monotonous.

Up the Downstair, Deadwing (there they got the metal bits right imo), and Stupid Dream would have to be my favorites.

Deadwing is the least metal album of that period, and in many ways it is my favorite. They just seemed to get everything really right on that rekkid.

Up The Downstair? Bleck! Signify was the first decent release start to finish, IMO. The tripe his solo work has been has turned me off even more to the early PT space rock. I don't even think you can compare UTD to IA. Two totally different releases.By far, his Opeth influenced material is just about his best. His King Crimson influenced stuff is very bland. Edited by Gompers

Up The Downstair? Bleck! Signify was the first decent release start to finish, IMO. The tripe his solo work has been has turned me off even more to the early PT space rock. I don't even think you can compare UTD to IA. Two totally different releases.By far, his Opeth influenced material is just about his best. His King Crimson influenced stuff is very bland.

I think he came closest to sounding like Opeth on The Incident. The beginning of Blind House is totally ripped off of different Opeth songs, especially Derelict Herds. Circle of Manias is pure Opeth crunch. I think SW achieved this benchmark, felt he couldn't take that sound any further, and decided he was bored with it. I can understand that, but it doesn't mean I'm going to like what he does next (Heritage.)

After reading all the great things being said about Octane Twisted, I bought the download off of iTunes this morning, but have not yet been able to listen to it.

Can't wait!

Hoping it's as good as I'm imagining.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/Smilies%20GIFs/fingersx.gif

After reading all the great things being said about Octane Twisted, I bought the download off of iTunes this morning, but have not yet been able to listen to it.

Can't wait!

Hoping it's as good as I'm imagining.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/Smilies%20GIFs/fingersx.gif

Yeah it's good!

Fine souvenir of that tour ;)

I finally decided to give them a listen and I see what I've been missing out on!! I've heard two awesome songs and loved them! Any suggestions on some good songs to listen too?

What have you heard already?

Got through the Octane Twisted video. Those are some purty guitars. More than anything, this video makes me want to buy a fretless Wal bass. The second audio disc is great and I understand why it wasn't represented on video, but I would have loved to see the songs as well. I missed this tour (I caught FOABP in Albany) and this sort of makes up for that. Going to watch it again soon.

I finally decided to give them a listen and I see what I've been missing out on!! I've heard two awesome songs and loved them! Any suggestions on some good songs to listen too?

If you like Pink Floyd, try their early stuff up through Lightbulb Sun. If you like more metal in your cereal, try anything from In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet, or The Incident. If you like King Crimson/Jethro Tull, try Heritage.

I know the PT monkeys will be flinging poo at me over this, but IDGAF!!!

:LOL:

If you like Pink Floyd, try their early stuff up through Lightbulb Sun. If you like more metal in your cereal, try anything from In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet, or The Incident. If you like King Crimson/Jethro Tull, try Heritage.

:

:LOL: :LOL: I'm definately gonna have to give some of these albums a listen, thank you!! :cheers:

Heritage? Did you mean Grace For Drowning?

If you decide to start with Lightbulb Sun, don't give up on it if you don't like it. It was my first PT album and I was mostly bored by it. I let it grow on me and now its one of my favorites. Russia on Ice alone is worth the price of the album.

Same shit! It's the same shit!

:laughing guy:

I can't believe I did that. I hadn't even started drinking yet.

I'm thinking about getting In Absentia. I've heard a few good tracks off that album. Is that a good enough start?

I'm thinking about getting In Absentia. I've heard a few good tracks off that album. Is that a good enough start?

Its probably the best album to start with.

Its probably the best album to start with.

What's a good second album to go with. Haha sorry when I get into a band, I get INTO them :LOL:

I would say Deadwing, but Fear of a Blank Planet would also be a good choice. Deadwing is my favorite of the two though.

I got In Absentia and loved it!! I'm liking their "older material" a little more, I think Deadwing is going to be next. :cheers:

• Like 1

I would say Deadwing, but Fear of a Blank Planet would also be a good choice. Deadwing is my favorite of the two though.

I got In Absentia and loved it!! I'm liking their "older material" a little more, I think Deadwing is going to be next. :cheers:

Deadwing is my favorite.