Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

I would say Deadwing, but Fear of a Blank Planet would also be a good choice. Deadwing is my favorite of the two though.

I got In Absentia and loved it!! I'm liking their "older material" a little more, I think Deadwing is going to be next. :cheers:

Deadwing is my favorite.

Well I really appreciate the advice!! :cheers:

My Personal PT Albums:

1.) Lightbulb Sun

2.) Stupid Dream

3.) Signify

4.) The Sky Moves Sideways

5.) On The Sunday Of Life

6.) Up The Downstairs

7.) Deadwing

8.) Fear of a Blank Planet

9.) In Absentia

10.) The Incident

I "would" recommend the earlier stuff as that is much better than the newer albums...but most people when they think of PT, they say "Oh, Did they make the songs ..."Way Out of Here, Trains, and Lazarus?" The newer stuff is easier to get into because more people enjoy and relate to it as there's more Progressive Metal bands now then Psychedelic. I prefer the earlier stuff by far. I Love experimentation which is why Post-Rock is my favorite genre of music. I don't know, I just LOVE obscure types of music.

Nice to see Lightbub Sun as your favorite album, Nate. Its really pretty underrated and its currently my second favorite PT album.

I may as well rank them. 5 & 6 are essentially tied.

1. In Absentia

2. Lightbulb Sun

3. Deadwing

4. Stupid Dream

5. Signify

6. Fear of a Blank Planet

7. The Incident

8. The Sky Moves Sideways

9. Up The Downstairs

I don't have Voyage 34 or the debut. I need to get them soon.

Finally finished disc 1 of Octane Twisted, and on track 3 of disc 2. Disc 2 is so much better than disc 1. They did a really good job on disc 1 of playing The Incident all the way through, but I didn't like it nearly as much as I like the studio version. The stuff on disc 2 just sounds so much better. I don't really know how to explain the difference except to say it sounds much more alive, and has a lot more energy, like a live performance should.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Oct 1 2012, 08:24 PM) QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Oct 1 2012, 04:11 AM) I just pre-ordered my copy.

Can't wait!

1022.gif

Me either! trink38.gif

Pre-order accomplished smile.gif

Excellent.

trink39.gif

I saw that tour twice, and was completely blown away.

What did you think of the OT set UT? :D-13:

The discs are great. So is the DVD. I really like the Russia on Ice/Anesthetize combo.

As for seeing the tour, they played different sets each time. The first time was the Incident in it's entirety.

The second time we saw that tour, it was the one show without Coheed and Cambria (Karnivool opened), Now that show was off the chain!

Edited by Unattractive Truth
  • Like 1

http://www.ultimate-...re_a_movie.html

Is there a different kind of pressure working on a solo project with your name on compared to, say, Porcupine Tree?

Steven Wilson: It's my third solo record. I kind of hesitate to call it a project. For me it's more than a project now, this is what I do. In a way this is what I've been working towards for a long time.

Well, there you have it. Porcupine Tree is done.

Edited by Dscrapre

Is there a different kind of pressure working on a solo project with your name on compared to, say, Porcupine Tree?

Steven Wilson: It's my third solo record. I kind of hesitate to call it a project. For me it's more than a project now, this is what I do. In a way this is what I've been working towards for a long time.

Oh of course. Porcupine Tree is gone forever and will never EVER come back. Why is everyone trying to prove that Porcupine Tree is dead? Has Steven Wilson or any other members of the band said it's over? No.

It's only been 3 years. Rush takes about 5 just to make an album. System of a Down was on hiatus for 5 years. They've been back since 2011 and still haven't made an album. I'm getting real sick of everyone saying the end is near for PT. Just look at what Steven says

The biggest lesson I learned was quite early in my career: never' date=' ever do anything to please anyone but yourself.

So I say sit back, relax, and enjoy the music.

• Like 1

After hearing Wilson's new record I don't really care if PT put out new material. I mean this new album is stellar. Love the direction he has taken the music. He really out did himself this time around. It's the album of the decade. I listen to it once a day. I don't get sick of it either. I should be sick of it by now but I ain't.

Oh of course. Porcupine Tree is gone forever and will never EVER come back. Why is everyone trying to prove that Porcupine Tree is dead? Has Steven Wilson or any other members of the band said it's over? No.

It's only been 3 years. Rush takes about 5 just to make an album. System of a Down was on hiatus for 5 years. They've been back since 2011 and still haven't made an album. I'm getting real sick of everyone saying the end is near for PT. Just look at what Steven says

The biggest lesson I learned was quite early in my career: never' date=' ever do anything to please anyone but yourself.

:goodone:

Exactly!!!

Richard Barbieri was talking about PT in a recent interview and he didn't hint AT ALL towards them being over. He was talking about how he thinks the next PT album will sound and how he would like the whole band to collaborate on the songwriting. Look at how often No-man records and they are still a band. I've said this countless times but as long as SW is making the music he wants to make, then I'm happy. I'll take an inspired solo album over an uninspired PT album any day.

• Like 2

See, the difference between those bands and PT is that PT hasn't been doing ANYTHING for the last three years. Rush tours during the periods between albums and generally remains active, SoD has also been touring. Look at PT. No tours, no news, nothing. Go to the website, it's a ghost town. They don't even have merchandise for sale anymore. All of the members are off doing other stuff. Richard may be talking about the next album, but how do we know it's not just wishful thinking?

Here's what I think happened: Steven Wilson started recording Insurgentes as an exercise in artistic freedom. After it turned out to be successful, he realized that he didn't need PT anymore and that he could go out on his own. Now look, the guy is writing material with the guys in his touring band in mind. The guys in the touring band are performing on the album. Several parts were written by members of the touring band. To me, this isn't a solo project anymore. This is a new band.

Me personally: I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to have a new Porcupine Tree album and be able to catch a concert, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm just happy that Steven is still out there putting out great music. So far, I like everything that this guy does, so for me it's all good. :ebert:

Actually, System of a Down weren't touring. They were on a hiatus like PT until a short time ago.

Only SW knows at this point. Wilson is a testament to great music and how it's crafted. He wasn't sure where PT could go with their sound after The Incident. So, instead of churning out an album with PT as the brand name, he branched out and did something different.

I'm pretty sure PT will be back once he's satisfied with what he's done with his solo career.

• Like 1

Actually, System of a Down weren't touring. They were on a hiatus like PT until a short time ago.

That's what I mean. The context of Union's post seemed to indicate that he was referencing their activity after they reunited. I know that bands go on hiatus all the time. It just seems to me that Steven Wilson is trying to branch out on his own. In that last interview, he explicitly said that this project is what he does now, as if to imply that everything else, PT included, is very much on the back burner (if it's even on the stove anymore). Maybe PT will come back, I just don't think so.

"So the inevitable question, which I hope a thousand other people aren’t also asking you these days, is what is the current state of Porcupine Tree? You guys just released the live set ‘Octane Twisted,’ so it seems to still be an active undertaking."

"No plans, no plans particularly. Yeah, the live album came out, although I didn’t really want it to, but I was outvoted. That’s okay, but it’s not our best performance. There’s no plans, which doesn’t mean that it’s not going to happen again, but—you know, the thing is, if I said to anyone when they were twenty years old, “You’re going to have the same job with the same people in the same office for your whole life,” they’d be horrified. It’s amazing how many music fans expect—I guess because it is quite normal—you to do the same thing your whole life. That’s not why I got into music, you know? I love doing different things and—well, you know—starting new projects. I don’t mean to put it down, because I love it, but Porcupine Tree was just another project that got more successful than the other ones."

"You started it yourself as a solo venture."

"Yeah, and for whatever reason it took off and I put a band together and we toured for fifteen years. It kept going and getting bigger and bigger, and it was great and I enjoyed the ride but I felt that on the last record [‘The Incident’], we were starting to get stuck in a rut and I thought, “Okay, it’s time to do something different.” And it’s amazing the kind of horror, gnashing of teeth reaction that it got. But the band hasn’t broken up necessarily, so I’m not interested in making any sort of melodramatic big break-up thing. There are no plans, and I have lots of plans now for this record."

http://www.examiner.com/article/steven-wilson-reflects-on-his-incredible-career

Edited by RushYesZeppelin

That's what I mean. The context of Union's post seemed to indicate that he was referencing their activity after they reunited. I know that bands go on hiatus all the time. It just seems to me that Steven Wilson is trying to branch out on his own. In that last interview, he explicitly said that this project is what he does now, as if to imply that everything else, PT included, is very much on the back burner (if it's even on the stove anymore). Maybe PT will come back, I just don't think so.

Just as Serj Tankian would have done in 2007. His solo career is what he was doing. System of a Down was on the back burner. They did absolutely nothing for 5 years. PT has done nothing for 3. You're acting like PT is dead and gone forever when not a single member has said something negative about the band's future other than them enjoying what they are currently doing

And plus, even if Porcupine Tree's no longer as big of a priority as his solo career is right now, that doesn't mean Steven is gonna disband PT because of it. No-Man and Bass Communion are still active SW projects even though for the past 12 or so years, there's been a new album for those projects every 3-5 years. This 3+ year hiatus does not bother me that much to be honest. I'm just glad the guy's still releasing music in some sort of way, wether it be his solo career, or w/e. Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 1

I've been saying that PT is dead for nearly 2 years now. Never mind SW hasn't said it for fact, never mind that other members of the band think they will get back together-look at the evidence.

last gigs were Radio City and Royal Albert Hall. For a band like PT it's like climbing everest. Where the hell could they go after that?

Andy Leff, the manager of the band was quoted as saying no more PT

Plans for PT getting put back all the time and becoming even more vague over time

SW has acknowledged in recent interviews the Incident wasn't as good as he hoped

He has also stated in recent interviews that he doesn't want to do that again ie PT

He could make a load of money with PT but doesn't WANT to

Wasn't particularly happy about the release of Octane Twisted but got out voted by the rest of the band

For those of you in any doubt about the future of PT, check out the interviews in the thread on his new album. And for those of you who won't believe it til he says so, he ain't gonna do that. One, maybe he can't as PT is a band, and secondly, he's not gonna alienate a HUGE chunk of his fanbase that are linked to him because of PT.

If Porcupine Tree were truly over, Wilson would say it. Of course he's going to talk about his solo work now that he's doing it. I can't just ignore the fact that no one in the band has said the band is over. That's pretty much what convinces someone about a band being finished. Besides, other members of the band have been talking about PT's future direction.

It's possible we won't see PT for another couple of years or so, but you're not convincing me that they're done just because Wilson is talking about how much he enjoys doing what he's doing now.