It appears that there's 3, yes 3 instrumentals on

treeduck

Three instrumentals on the new album, good or bad?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Three instrumentals on the new album, good or bad?

• 1 It's good - less chance for filler vocal tracks
    • 2 I'm not sure I like it, maybe we're missing out somehow
    • 3 No we'll get less of Geddy's voice
    • 4 I like it, it means much more variety
    • 5 I'll have to think about this one
    • 6 I don't believe it - like Highlander there can only be ONE
    • 7 I'll wait for official confirmation before I decide
    • 8 Yes, this is what could make the album great!!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF this is true..then I would think they are shorter songs between longer songs...remember Alex said in the interview that the fans are going to be surprised by the new album...

IMO it could mean a couple of longer songs...I can`t see them recording 3 Instrumentals running something like 4-5 minutes each...

I picked the "IT'S GREAT BECAUSE IT MEANS VARIETY" choice.

But I have to be brutally honest, I will not believe anything until I see the album in front of me. I have never pictured Rush making more than one instrumental on an album.

Don't get me wrong: Would 3 instrumentals rock? Absolutely...as long as they're up to par with their previous 5 instrumentals, the album would seriously rock.

I'm all for instrumentals...Rush has never let me down with any of them personally. If they could make something like "Strangiato" again, that would completely blow my mind! Incredible really.

But like I said...I cannot really believe in any 'rumours' until I have the album in my stereo, and have heard it for myself.

Even 'Peaceable Kingdom' was recorded to be an instrumental. It was changed at the last minute...so you never really know what to expect.

I will just wait and see what happens!

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jan 25 2007, 11:36 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 25 2007, 11:34 PM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jan 26 2007, 01:32 AM)
I heard from someone who knows Greg, who's a friend of Amy who used to be the nanny for Jims kids. Anyhow, Jims youngest, Jim Jr., recently ran into Katrina, who used to run a record store back in St. Louis. Katrina has been talking with Rich about his bands latest cd, "Rumor Has It", and it seems that some of the early mixes got released on the internet. Not knowing what to do, Rich called Alexa, who is an entertainment lawyer from LA. She told Rich that, rumors are what make the business go around and any publicity is good publicity, so he should just let it go. Rich replied, "but these people have no idea what they are talking about and they are killing our buzz and hype"! Alexa then gave Rich the number of her most secret source, hoping the answer could be found. Rich called this number but only got the answering machine. The greeting was, "how did you get this number? ... Ah, you're a rumor starter with no proof, that's how". Rich was furious at this message and decided to leave a message of his own. It said, "unless you know me, don't start rumors about me...especially because my new album is called "Rumor Has It" ! "

wacko.gif  wacko.gif  fing.gif  bolt.gif

You just wasted three minutes typing a message that could have taken you 10 seconds...

wink.gif

You didn't like my story? I have 3 more for you, they're on my new album. rofl3.gif

rofl3.gif goodpost.gif

I won't believe anything until I have the album in my hands!

Having 3 instrumentals goes against what Neil wrote in his update back in December on having ONE "mental instrumental". I also remember Alex saying something to the effect of this album being "musically and lyrically expansive". I think it's a great idea, having 3 instrumentals, but it goes against what we've heard- unless of course they tacked the other 2 instrumentals on at the end of recording to be spontaneous. I always enjoy rumors like this though...

I love their instrumentals...but one per album is plenty. I love Geddy's voice, so I prefer hearing him sing as much as possible. Plus Peart's lyrics are usually a strong suit....so why sacrifice Ged's voice and Peart's pen for two additional instrumentals? Not worth it.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jan 26 2007, 02:09 PM)
Tree, seriously, if you're going to make threads like this, don't make the title so suggestive and put Spoiler at the front, because, basically, you've spoiled it for me, and no doubt, alot more people.

Thanks a bunch sarcasm.gif

There's no official confirmation of this information whatsoever so how can it be a spoiler. It's just mere speculation at the moment and nothing more.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jan 26 2007, 01:32 AM)
I heard from someone who knows Greg, who's a friend of Amy who used to be the nanny for Jims kids. Anyhow, Jims youngest, Jim Jr., recently ran into Katrina, who used to run a record store back in St. Louis. Katrina has been talking with Rich about his bands latest cd, "Rumor Has It", and it seems that some of the early mixes got released on the internet. Not knowing what to do, Rich called Alexa, who is an entertainment lawyer from LA. She told Rich that, rumors are what make the business go around and any publicity is good publicity, so he should just let it go. Rich replied, "but these people have no idea what they are talking about and they are killing our buzz and hype"! Alexa then gave Rich the number of her most secret source, hoping the answer could be found. Rich called this number but only got the answering machine. The greeting was, "how did you get this number? ... Ah, you're a rumor starter with no proof, that's how". Rich was furious at this message and decided to leave a message of his own. It said, "unless you know me, don't start rumors about me...especially because my new album is called "Rumor Has It" ! "

wacko.gif wacko.gif fing.gif bolt.gif

Oh yeah, 3 Instrumentals?? That's not a smart move and unheard of also. No way.......

HEY!!!!

I KNOW GREG!!!!

common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 26 2007, 11:16 AM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jan 26 2007, 02:09 PM)
Tree, seriously, if you're going to make threads like this, don't make the title so suggestive and put Spoiler at the front, because, basically, you've spoiled it for me, and no doubt, alot more people.

Thanks a bunch sarcasm.gif

There's no official confirmation of this information whatsoever so how can it be a spoiler. It's just mere speculation at the moment and nothing more.

some people do not want to even SEE speculation. just because it's ok with you...etc. confused13.gif

you have also been singled out as the one person who would spoil shit for whatever reason, so that should make you even more careful not to piss people off.

speculation or not, the title makes people feel as if spoiled. just handle it and stop justifying yourself.

QUOTE (daveyt @ Jan 26 2007, 07:11 PM)
you have also been singled out as the one person who would spoil shit for whatever reason, so that should make you even more careful not to piss people off.

speculation or not, the title makes people feel as if spoiled. just handle it and stop justifying yourself.

Read.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 25 2007, 11:41 PM)
When the actual album title is announced, we'll be making a seperate forum just for new album discussion. It will be required that any threads containing concrete info about the album MUST contain the word SPOILER in the title.

Right now, aside from what we're seeing in interviews or blogs from the actual band members and producer, much of what is being discussed here is speculation and rumor. Rumors are not spoilers.

How on earth could someone expect to read this forum and not see rumours everywhere? I have no idea why people are getting so worked up over seeing something even when it has no confirmation behind it whatsoever.

Anyways, 3 instrumentals would be too much IMHO. Neil is too great of a writer, and Geddy is too great of a singer. One is enough for me. Not that I don't like the instrumentals (I'm listening to LVS right now) but it's not what they're best at.

It's an interesting idea, but I can't vote on anything I'm not certain of being completely legitimate.

After reading the "source rumor" from the Preproduction Thread, I took it in jest because you know how those things are. I have a feeling the person, if actually hearing some early mixes, might have been hearing insturmental version of lyrical songs similar to the tracks on The Boys in Brazil second disk on Rush in Rio.

I could go either way, when you get down to it, this is band who are known for their musicianship as much, if not more, as songwriting. Even though I love Pearts writings lyrically or novella, why not work with your strenghts?

Whatever they do, I'm still in. They had me at, "A modern day warrior..." biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, the instruments on the instrumentals in question are kazoo, bass kazoo, and triangle.

Seriously, what if they have recorded another epic and some or all of the instrumentals are shorter pieces within the framework of a longer suite of songs?

Seems like this would kick a$$ and please almost everyone on the board.

At first I was gonna say that I too couldn't see what the big deal is with making a spoiler about the new album, even if it were true information, and as far as I'm concerned this is still very much in the rumor category, much as the album title will be called Snakes on a Plane or Snakes and Ladders or whatever. wacko.gif

Thinking about it more, I guess there ARE aspects that I would like to not know before listening. For example, my biggest delusional fantasy is that they'll have keyboards. If someone started a thread a month before the album came out and said definitively NO KEYBOARDS, that would totally suck. I mean, I know the chances of keyboards are like 1%, but I want to enjoy my delusional 1% fantasy until I hear the album. I guess I do want to have a large element of surprise while listening. I may even stop visiting this sub-forum for a little while before the album comes out for fear of having certain surprises ruined.

Oh, and about the 3 instrumentals. All I can is it would mean there would be AT LEAST 3 songs I would definitely like, if not love. That being said, their last 3 instrumentals, while all good, were nowhwere near in the same league as YYZ and La Villa.

Time will tell...