It appears that there's 3, yes 3 instrumentals on

treeduck

Three instrumentals on the new album, good or bad?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Three instrumentals on the new album, good or bad?

• 1 It's good - less chance for filler vocal tracks
    • 2 I'm not sure I like it, maybe we're missing out somehow
    • 3 No we'll get less of Geddy's voice
    • 4 I like it, it means much more variety
    • 5 I'll have to think about this one
    • 6 I don't believe it - like Highlander there can only be ONE
    • 7 I'll wait for official confirmation before I decide
    • 8 Yes, this is what could make the album great!!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 28 2007, 09:29 AM)
At first I was gonna say that I too couldn't see what the big deal is with making a spoiler about the new album, even if it were true information, and as far as I'm concerned this is still very much in the rumor category, much as the album title will be called Snakes on a Plane or Snakes and Ladders or whatever. wacko.gif

Thinking about it more, I guess there ARE aspects that I would like to not know before listening. For example, my biggest delusional fantasy is that they'll have keyboards. If someone started a thread a month before the album came out and said definitively NO KEYBOARDS, that would totally suck. I mean, I know the chances of keyboards are like 1%, but I want to enjoy my delusional 1% fantasy until I hear the album. I guess I do want to have a large element of surprise while listening. I may even stop visiting this sub-forum for a little while before the album comes out for fear of having certain surprises ruined.

Oh, and about the 3 instrumentals. All I can is it would mean there would be AT LEAST 3 songs I would definitely like, if not love. That being said, their last 3 instrumentals, while all good, were nowhwere near in the same league as YYZ and La Villa.

Time will tell...

When you say keyboards, do you mean full-on keyboards like in "Subdivisions" and "DEW" and most of the Hold Your Fire era, or would you be happy with the triggered keyboard-like sounds like on Presto and after?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jan 25 2007, 11:32 PM)
I heard from someone who knows Greg, who's a friend of Amy who used to be the nanny for Jims kids. Anyhow, Jims youngest, Jim Jr., recently ran into Katrina, who used to run a record store back in St. Louis. Katrina has been talking with Rich about his bands latest cd, "Rumor Has It", and it seems that some of the early mixes got released on the internet. Not knowing what to do, Rich called Alexa, who is an entertainment lawyer from LA. She told Rich that, rumors are what make the business go around and any publicity is good publicity, so he should just let it go. Rich replied, "but these people have no idea what they are talking about and they are killing our buzz and hype"! Alexa then gave Rich the number of her most secret source, hoping the answer could be found. Rich called this number but only got the answering machine. The greeting was, "how did you get this number? ... Ah, you're a rumor starter with no proof, that's how". Rich was furious at this message and decided to leave a message of his own. It said, "unless you know me, don't start rumors about me...especially because my new album is called "Rumor Has It" ! "

wacko.gif wacko.gif fing.gif bolt.gif

Oh yeah, 3 Instrumentals?? That's not a smart move and unheard of also. No way.......

laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 28 2007, 08:06 AM)
At first I was gonna say that I too couldn't see what the big deal is with making a spoiler about the new album, even if it were true information, and as far as I'm concerned this is still very much in the rumor category, much as the album title will be called Snakes on a Plane or Snakes and Ladders or whatever.  wacko.gif

Thinking about it more, I guess there ARE aspects that I would like to not know before listening.  For example, my biggest delusional fantasy is that they'll have keyboards.  If someone started a thread a month before the album came out and said definitively NO KEYBOARDS, that would totally suck.  I mean, I know the chances of keyboards are like 1%, but I want to enjoy my delusional 1% fantasy until I hear the album.  I guess I do want to have a large element of surprise while listening.  I may even stop visiting this sub-forum for a little while before the album comes out for fear of having certain surprises ruined.

Oh, and about the 3 instrumentals.  All I can is it would mean there would be AT LEAST 3 songs I would definitely like, if not love.  That being said, their last 3 instrumentals, while all good, were nowhwere near in the same league as YYZ and La Villa.

Time will tell...

When you say keyboards, do you mean full-on keyboards like in "Subdivisions" and "DEW" and most of the Hold Your Fire era, or would you be happy with the triggered keyboard-like sounds like on Presto and after?

I would love keyboards like they used them from 1976-1981 or so. I wouldn't expect the level of the 1982-1987 stuff as that seriously influenced the sound.

I'll take what I can get, but I'm not expecting any at all.

That being said, their last 3 instrumentals, while all good, were nowhwere near in the same league as YYZ and La Villa.

Wow me and Goober agree on something exactly!!

ohmy.gif trink39.gif bekloppt.gif

Oh, and about the 3 instrumentals. All I can is it would mean there would be AT LEAST 3 songs I would definitely like, if not love.

You're more likely to dislike vocal songs and enjoy instrumentals? Can you expand on this Goobs...?

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jan 28 2007, 03:30 PM)
It doesn't matter if it's speculation or not, because of the big title, etc, there'll always be a thought in the back of my mind that there's going to be 3 instrumentals on there.

You'll have to kill me then...if you can...

wink.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 28 2007, 08:40 PM)
It doesn't matter if it's speculation or not, because of the big title, etc, there'll always be a thought in the back of my mind that there's going to be 3 instrumentals on there.

wink.gif

I won't kill you, maybe take a limb, something like that.

What would you rather keep?

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jan 28 2007, 03:42 PM)

wink.gif

tongue.gif

Well I don't need my head for anything...

I can drink through the hole in my neck...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 28 2007, 08:44 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jan 28 2007, 03:42 PM)

wink.gif

tongue.gif

Well I don't need my head for anything...

I can drink through the hole in my neck...

trink38.gif

I'm not too good with decapitations, but i'll give it a go.

I read that it's totally true. yes.gif

There WILL be 3 instrumentals.

Ironically it seems that since Neil started doing interviews and being more outgoing with the press and fans... he has lost his ability to WRITE lyrics. Geddy and Alex had written some lyrics but ripped them up right before entering the studio. Since Neil was suffering from writer's block... they decided to just go with the instrumentals. Two of which will be all three members playing various KEYBOARDS, which interestingly have been fully added to the mix.

Geddy is quoted as saying... "For all you fans that don't like anything NEW... this is the album for YOU". He went on to gripe about how fans on Rush boards have the audacity to complain about their music and since they obviously have no growth in their tastes... why bother being creative. "This new album will sound just like SIGNALS and 2112 and MOVING PICTURES, so all you BITCHY fans will be happy. We're sick of trying to GROW and have talentless bitches complain about us on the internet. So maybe we'll just put copies of our old albums inside a new package and you can all drool over THAT". Alex was heard to say... "YEAH... f**k RUSHGOOBER ANYWAY!!!" Neil smiled and told the boys to calm down. Since he has such an appreciation for the fans now, he thought their outburst was totally inappropriate and would be replacing them with a new bass player/singer and keyboard player, no guitarist, for the next album.

This is NOT rumor. You can read the full text HERE

yes.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 28 2007, 03:47 PM)
I read that it's totally true. yes.gif

There WILL be 3 instrumentals.

Ironically it seems that since Neil started doing interviews and being more outgoing with the press and fans... he has lost his ability to WRITE lyrics. Geddy and Alex had written some lyrics but ripped them up right before entering the studio. Since Neil was suffering from writer's block... they decided to just go with the instrumentals. Two of which will be all three members playing various KEYBOARDS, which interestingly have been fully added to the mix.

Geddy is quoted as saying... "For all you fans that don't like anything NEW... this is the album for YOU". He went on to gripe about how fans on Rush boards have the audacity to complain about their music and since they obviously have no growth in their tastes... why bother being creative. "This new album will sound just like SIGNALS and 2112 and MOVING PICTURES, so all you BITCHY fans will be happy. We're sick of trying to GROW and have talentless bitches complain about us on the internet. So maybe we'll just put copies of our old albums inside a new package and you can all drool over THAT". Alex was heard to say... "YEAH... f**k RUSHGOOBER ANYWAY!!!" Neil smiled and told the boys to calm down. Since he has such an appreciation for the fans now, he thought their outburst was totally inappropriate and would be replacing them with a new bass player/singer and keyboard player, no guitarist, for the next album.

This is NOT rumor. You can read the full text HERE

yes.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 28 2007, 03:11 PM)
At first I was gonna say that I too couldn't see what the big deal is with making a spoiler about the new album, even if it were true information, and as far as I'm concerned this is still very much in the rumor category, much as the album title will be called Snakes on a Plane or Snakes and Ladders or whatever.  wacko.gif

Thinking about it more, I guess there ARE aspects that I would like to not know before listening.  For example, my biggest delusional fantasy is that they'll have keyboards.  If someone started a thread a month before the album came out and said definitively NO KEYBOARDS, that would totally suck.  I mean, I know the chances of keyboards are like 1%, but I want to enjoy my delusional 1% fantasy until I hear the album.  I guess I do want to have a large element of surprise while listening.  I may even stop visiting this sub-forum for a little while before the album comes out for fear of having certain surprises ruined.

Oh, and about the 3 instrumentals.  All I can is it would mean there would be AT LEAST 3 songs I would definitely like, if not love.  That being said, their last 3 instrumentals, while all good, were nowhwere near in the same league as YYZ and La Villa.

Time will tell...

I would love keyboards like they used them from 1976-1981 or so. I wouldn't expect the level of the 1982-1987 stuff as that seriously influenced the sound.

I don't expect any, either. By all accounts this is going to be a guitar-bass-drum-vocals record with not a lot of layering. But I bet we hear some guitar solos this time. wink.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 28 2007, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 28 2007, 03:11 PM)

Time will tell...

I don't expect any, either. By all accounts this is going to be a guitar-bass-drum-vocals record with not a lot of layering. But I bet we hear some guitar solos this time. wink.gif

I really hope so because if he doesn't rip his guitar up this time he probably never will...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 28 2007, 12:23 PM)
Oh, and about the 3 instrumentals.  All I can is it would mean there would be AT LEAST 3 songs I would definitely like, if not love.

You're more likely to dislike vocal songs and enjoy instrumentals? Can you expand on this Goobs...?

I could, but I'm not going to. tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 28 2007, 04:45 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 28 2007, 12:23 PM)
Oh, and about the 3 instrumentals.  All I can is it would mean there would be AT LEAST 3 songs I would definitely like, if not love.

I could, but I'm not going to. tongue.gif

653.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif 653.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif 653.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

http://www.greytwear.com/gra/Thank%20you%20card.gif

Neil did guarantee us of 1 instrumental on his last blog.

I doubt that there will be 3.

Unless it's done in the format of By Tor And The Snow Dog/ 2112 something like that

_________ Song

PartI

PartII

PartIII

that sounds more logical to me.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 11 2012, 05:37 PM)
Well. well, well five years later and it looks like I was right!

tongue.gif  To all those people who laughed at 3 instrumentals on a RUSH album!

moon.gif

joker.gif

It's been boiling under your feathers for 5 f***ing years hasn't it duck? trink38.gif

I wonder how many folks will browse this thread and spaz out and say, "WHAT?! 3 instrumentals again?! I call bullshit!!!" Or I guess the other set of spazzes could say, "SHIT YEAH! 3 instrumentals again! I really loved the last 3 on S & A!"

laugh.gif