It's obvious why Tai Shan and High Water

treeduck

Thats funny because I think they are the two strongest tracks on the CD (well except for mission). I guess it all depends on individual taste.

The entire record is a "FORCE TEN!"

Pat isn't a drummer so he doesn't get how incredible Neil's playing is on both those tracks.

If anything "Second Nature" is a weaker track than "Tain Shan" or "High Water" but I love every track and it's one of the funnest records to play to on the drums regardless of electronic triggers and percussion. I play to the record with my organic kit and it works out just fine.

"Hold Your Fire" is a masterpiece. From start to finish.

I feel sorry for humans who dislike this record. Then again who cares. To each their own.

I hate "Vapor Trails."

That's life.

The bass playing is the killer shit on HYF Earl, not the drums with that electro tupperware snare. That's the one thing you can say about this album the bass playing rules. Geddy owns this album with his bass gymnastics. There's more great basslines and intricate but melodic bass passages on this album than in a Jaco Pastorius Fender Jazz Bass museum warehouse.

PAT!

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

Sorry! Brainwashed drummer here! Geddy's baselines are literally off the charts on "Hold Your Fire!" You called it! "Turn The Page?" Holy SHIT!

The man is a LEGEND! I LOVE GEDDY LEE AND HE'S NICE TO ME! LOL!

Geddy blows my mind. Next to Thunder Fingers, Chris Squire and Les Claypool, and perhaps Steve Harris Geddy is IT!!!

If Neil played all organic drums on "Hold Your Fire" would you dig it more?

• Like 1

Thats funny because I think they are the two strongest tracks on the CD (well except for mission). I guess it all depends on individual taste.

Pat isn't a drummer so he doesn't get how incredible Neil's playing is on both those tracks.

If anything "Second Nature" is a weaker track than "Tain Shan" or "High Water" but I love every track and it's one of the funnest records to play to on the drums regardless of electronic triggers and percussion. I play to the record with my organic kit and it works out just fine.

I feel sorry for humans who dislike this record. Then again who cares. To each their own.

I hate "Vapor Trails."

That's life.

The bass playing is the killer shit on HYF Earl, not the drums with that electro tupperware snare. That's the one thing you can say about this album the bass playing rules. Geddy owns this album with his bass gymnastics. There's more great basslines and intricate but melodic bass passages on this album than in a Jaco Pastorius Fender Jazz Bass museum warehouse.

PAT!

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

Sorry! Brainwashed drummer here! Geddy's baselines are literally off the charts on "Hold Your Fire!" You called it! "Turn The Page?" Holy SHIT!

Geddy blows my mind. Next to Thunder Fingers, Chris Squire and Les Claypool, and perhaps Steve Harris Geddy is IT!!!

Well I don't hate the album, but to quote Peart, it is what it is. I think it's ok, I like some songs on there, but it has a plastic drum sound, too much synth and not enough guitar.

• Like 1

I hate "Vapor Trails."

That's life.

PAT!

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

Well I don't hate the album, but to quote Peart, it is what it is. I think it's ok, I like some songs on there, but it has a plastic drum sound, too much synth and not enough guitar.

Hahahaha! "It is what it is and whatever......... it is what it is and forever......" Yup! Neil the genius. With a pen and Promark 747s. THE MAN!

I would blame production on that record.

I love Alex's guitar work on "HYF." Amazing.

I understand your take on Neil's overcompensation for drum triggers and electronics. MEH!

But it doesn't matter to me.

We are all programed differently.

I fell in love with GUP, PW and HYF after one listen.

When I heard "Signals" on cassette on it's actual release day, I remember sitting on my bed listening to this album on my Pioneer stereo.

I literally wanted to cry. I was so pissed. I ejected the tape and threw it across the room in anger.

I couldn't even believe the weak keyboard pop crap my young restless romantic ears were listening too!

I HATED "SIGNALS" when it came out. "Where's the fuckking guitar?" Is this a new Police record??? Pure shite I had thought.

But then over the years I grew to love it.

It's amazing how I accepted "GUP" "PW"and "HYF" instantly.

I fell in love with GUP in one listening.

Hell I love "Presto." I love "Roll The Bones" minus that rap crap." "Counterparts" is their last masterpiece.

It is what it is and fuckk it....... whatever!

RUSH RULES FOR ALL ETERNITY!

• Like 1

I hate "Vapor Trails."

That's life.

PAT!

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

Hahahaha! "It is what it is and whatever......... it is what it is and forever......" Yup! Neil the genius. With a pen and Promark 747s. THE MAN!

I understand your take on Neil's overcompensation for drum triggers and electronics. MEH!

When I heard "Signals" on cassette on it's actual release day, I remember sitting on my bed listening to this album on my Pioneer stereo.

I literally wanted to cry. I was so pissed. I ejected the tape and threw it across the room in anger.

I couldn't even believe the weak keyboard pop crap my young restless romantic ears were listening too!

I HATED "SIGNALS" when it came out. "Where's the fuckking guitar?" Is this a new Police record??? Pure shite I had thought.

Hell I love "Presto." I love "Roll The Bones" minus that rap crap." "Counterparts" is their last masterpiece.

Yeah it took me a while to get into Signals too, and I was hoping for a total return to heavy guitars on GUP too. By Power WIndows though I was ok with the synth sound and enjoyed it for what it is. There was plenty of other bands I was into who were doing the heavy guitar shit I like.

• Like 1

I hate "Vapor Trails."

That's life.

PAT!

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

Yeah it took me a while to get into Signals too, and I was hoping for a total return to heavy guitars on GUP too. By Power WIndows though I was ok with the synth sound and enjoyed it for what it is. There was plenty of other bands I was into who were doing the heavy guitar shit I like.

Oh Pat!

I am glad we are typing again. I think you haven't been around lately.

It's nice to catch up.

You are my Rush Brother. I felt the same way too, but for some reason GUP changed my life.

I was like you Pat.

Already in love with RUSH and listening to everything album back in 1981 it didn't matter.

I have a quick story for Pat.

I wil just pretend that this is a PM.

I don't trust PMS anyway.

Anyone with a "Lock And Key" can read anything!

As I have said many times on here and it is cliche. "Moving Pictures" got me into RUSH.

I will say that "Tom Sawyer" didn't do it for me. I was always a "YYZ" kid. Fell in love instantly. Kind of funny I found drums before RUSH! YUP!

So my story is this.....

My friends Doug and Derek Satre back in 1980 got me into The Who, Blondie, and The Clash. But I remember I went to Rainbow Records with both of them. They were twins.

Derek and I were in the cassette section.

I asked Derek that I wanted to find a band that was heavy and kicked ASS!!!

So Derek went to the Rush section and pulled out "Permanent Waves."

As a seventh grader but a kid who was obsessed with music looked at that album cover and I said to myself,,,,,, Ummmmm, lame album cover.... I don't think RUSH is a band for me!

LAME!

if I had just listened to my friend I would have bought that cassette.

But heck I fell in love with them anyway!

I've lost my focus.

Pat, I love the synth years of RUSH.

I think I embraced the Synth Rush Era because I was in high school.

I had to go to two different high schools Pat.

I didn't get to be with all of my friends.

I was always a dork and a nerd but it sucked when you had to go to two different high schools.

"Be cool or be cast out Pat."

I lived the life of a Rush Nerd.

Some on here thing I'm an asshole.

Some thing I'm a jerk.

But yes, I am still a dork and a nerd. Proud of it.

Most leaders and successful humans on the Earth are nerds and outcasts.

I'm a total dork, but I also run a very successful company.

So hey...

"it is what is is and whatever."

I wish all of you who read this good luck and a fun life.

My life is about to change. Hopefully for the better but I cannot type about it in a public forum.

73 warned me many years ago not to be so open and trusting.

I'm a fool, but I hope it's not to late to learn.

"Crash N Burn"

Pat Travers

Not me baby.

Love ya Pat!

You have been one of my real friends on here since the fucckking beginning.

Regardless of Rush banter and bullshit, RUSH will never be topped by anyone fukking band. Not even Priest Pat. Sorry!

RUSH!

No band will ever touch them.

JMO

I can't believe a nobody like me was able to say hi to Geddy last week at a ball game. I was the only A's fan in the diamond seats.

I showed Ged my Rickey Henderson jersey and my Matt Chapman tee shirt.

He smiled and nodded at me.

Some dork flying all the way from California to see three Blue Jay A's games.

I watched my A's team get swept.

So what.

I had one of the greatest times in my life with my friends and the new friends I met.

Geddy is a wonderful guy. I love him.

Life is short.

I've been lucky enough in my life to meet all three.

I know I will meet them all again.

It's called faith mixed in with mathematics, karma and luck.

I'm living proof you can do it all!!

RUSH LIVES!

Find your own passion in life. I've done it!

• Like 1

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jan 6 2007, 12:31 AM)

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 5 2007, 12:16 AM)

Yeah those Japanese-sounding chordal motifs he does are good...

They are Chinese dude! Come on! trink39.gif

I said Japanese-sounding, not actually Japanese, ie they sound Japanese to me, this is called descriptive writing just so you know...

Anyway they remind me a little of Eric Johnson on Tones it may have been where he got the idea from...

Eric Johnson utilizes the “koto” technique (see Guitar World article here about it.) He uses the "koto" technique on

from Tones and the live version of
from his 1988 appearance on Austin City Limits.

There isn't any 'guitar-related' interviews per se that Alex did to promote Hold Your Fire explaining if he used the "koto" technique on 'Tai Shan' or not. Geddy and Alex were interviewed by Guitar World here, but nothing about 'technique' was really discussed.

Check out this 2017 review of Hold Your Fire posted here. 'Second Nature' and 'Tai Shan' are rated the lowest with 'Prime Mover' and 'High Water' following suit.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jan 6 2007, 12:31 AM)

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 5 2007, 12:16 AM)

Yeah those Japanese-sounding chordal motifs he does are good...

They are Chinese dude! Come on! trink39.gif

I said Japanese-sounding, not actually Japanese, ie they sound Japanese to me, this is called descriptive writing just so you know...

Anyway they remind me a little of Eric Johnson on Tones it may have been where he got the idea from...

Eric Johnson utilizes the “koto” technique (see Guitar World article here about it.) He uses the "koto" technique on

from Tones and the live version of
from his 1988 appearance on Austin City Limits.

There isn't any 'guitar-related' interviews per se that Alex did to promote Hold Your Fire explaining if he used the "koto" technique on 'Tai Shan' or not. Geddy and Alex were interviewed by Guitar World here, but nothing about 'technique' was really discussed.

Check out this 2017 review of Hold Your Fire posted here. 'Second Nature' and 'Tai Shan' are rated the lowest with 'Prime Mover' and 'High Water' following suit.

He uses it on Victory too at the end I think.

I hate "Vapor Trails."

That's life.

PAT!

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

Oh Pat!

It's nice to catch up.

You are my Rush Brother. I felt the same way too, but for some reason GUP changed my life.

I was like you Pat.

Already in love with RUSH and listening to everything album back in 1981 it didn't matter.

As I have said many times on here and it is cliche. "Moving Pictures" got me into RUSH.

I will say that "Tom Sawyer" didn't do it for me. I was always a "YYZ" kid. Fell in love instantly. Kind of funny I found drums before RUSH! YUP!

So my story is this.....

My friends Doug and Derek Satre back in 1980 got me into The Who, Blondie, and The Clash. But I remember I went to Rainbow Records with both of them. They were twins.

As a seventh grader but a kid who was obsessed with music looked at that album cover and I said to myself,,,,,, Ummmmm, lame album cover.... I don't think RUSH is a band for me!

LAME!

I've lost my focus.

I was always a dork and a nerd but it sucked when you had to go to two different high schools.

Some thing I'm a jerk.

So hey...

My life is about to change. Hopefully for the better but I cannot type about it in a public forum.

"Crash N Burn"

Pat Travers

Not me baby.

Love ya Pat!

Regardless of Rush banter and bullshit, RUSH will never be topped by anyone fukking band. Not even Priest Pat. Sorry!

RUSH!

JMO

I can't believe a nobody like me was able to say hi to Geddy last week at a ball game. I was the only A's fan in the diamond seats.

So what.

I had one of the greatest times in my life with my friends and the new friends I met.

Life is short.

RUSH LIVES!

I got into RUSH before Moving Pictures came out it was Permanent Waves that got me started, then ATWAS, I thought it was two different bands at first. I remember I bought Hemispheres from WHSMITH. I got the Canadian A Farewell to Kings, I still have it too, and 2112.

When are you going to use the KOTO technique Earl??

• Like 1

I hate "Vapor Trails."

That's life.

PAT!

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

Oh Pat!

It's nice to catch up.

I was like you Pat.

So my story is this.....

LAME!

I've lost my focus.

Some thing I'm a jerk.

So hey...

"Crash N Burn"

Pat Travers

Not me baby.

Love ya Pat!

RUSH!

JMO

So what.

Life is short.

RUSH LIVES!

I got into RUSH before Moving Pictures came out it was Permanent Waves that got me started, then ATWAS, I thought it was two different bands at first. I remember I bought Hemispheres from WHSMITH. I got the Canadian A Farewell to Kings, I still have it too, and 2112.

When are you going to use the KOTO technique Earl??

I once again agree with you. So yes, I started out with Moviing Pictures then worked my way back in reverse and when I heard Hemispheres and A Farewell To Kings for the first time I thought they were two different bands too!!

I had to cheat and look up the KOTO technique. Very interesting effect. Very Eric Johnson.

• Like 1

Tai Shan in my opinion is not bad, but it just doesn’t fit the overall mood of Hold Your Fire well. As for High Water, I personally liked that song and thought it was decent. It’s understandable why you would see the songs as weaker compared to the rest of the album though.

The most depressing lyrics Peart ever wrote, I wish I had that instinct, I wish I had that drive

From the guy who wrote 2112. Sad!

With the theme of authoritarianism, let's not forget the seriousness of "My lifeblood...Spills over"

Edited by The400Boys

It's all a matter of taste.

As for Geddy and Alex's taste, they hated Tai Shan.

In the past, Geddy described "Tai Shan" as "an error," saying that the guys "should have known better." Back in 2016, Alex Lifeson said the song is "easily" "one of the worst" songs the band has released.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/geddy_lee_names_rush_song_he_doesnt_like_shares_opinion_on_modern_extended-range_basses.html

High Water is better than Tai Shan, Open Secrets, and Mission. It's on par with Lock and Key and Turn the Page.

Tai Shan is the weakest, but I'm glad they released it. It is definitely worth listening to.

• Like 1

The other thing that takes away from Tai Shan & High Water is that lyrically, they don't really fit with the theme of the album.

Like I mentioned earlier, I pretend the album ended with Turn The Page and TS and HW are just two bonus tracks not directly related to anything that came previously

I loved "High Water"! It is so refreshing to hear..and I still think that 'Tai Shan" is not loved at all. I heard it and while far be it for me to not liked a song from my boys, this is the only one I didnt liked. It hard to think that you dont love a Rush song, but there it is. Although I loved the 80s Rush era the most (Here we go again!), this is it for me.

I think High Water is fine way to end the album. Very good lyrics, Geddy sings it beautifully with lots of emotion and is a solid song.

I don't have a problem with Tai Shan. I like it a lot but enjoy it even more since they were able to pull it off. Somehow a rock band evokes the sound/mood that fits this song perfectly.

• Like 1

Why are Tai Shan and High Water so much weaker than the rest of Hold your Fire? I mean they're ok, not as hideous as some people make out on here, but they are a steep drop off from the rest of HYF. So why is that? Well I think it's pretty obvious...

In 1987 albums lengths were expanding to fit in with CD capabilities for holding data. When Rush came to record Hold your Fire it must have been decided that at least 10 songs were required. Rush had been used to 8 song albums or less; the previous 3 were 8, then 7, 6, 4 and so on. The first 8 tunes on HYF are all excellent but the two "extra" tracks that they had to come up with in the same studio time as usual don't quite cut the mustard. Ok 6 months longer between records as the previous few, but then everyone was going 2 years between records by then...

So am I right or am I right?

Totally! Even though the two offending tracks weren't among the last written, it still makes sense that if you have to come up with two more songs, or nearly ten more minutes, of music than you usually do, some of it will probably fall flat. Those two probably wound up at the end so fans could just stop at the usual 8 if they wanted without having to skip anything in-between.

• Like 1

Why are Tai Shan and High Water so much weaker than the rest of Hold your Fire? I mean they're ok, not as hideous as some people make out on here, but they are a steep drop off from the rest of HYF. So why is that? Well I think it's pretty obvious...

In 1987 albums lengths were expanding to fit in with CD capabilities for holding data. When Rush came to record Hold your Fire it must have been decided that at least 10 songs were required. Rush had been used to 8 song albums or less; the previous 3 were 8, then 7, 6, 4 and so on. The first 8 tunes on HYF are all excellent but the two "extra" tracks that they had to come up with in the same studio time as usual don't quite cut the mustard. Ok 6 months longer between records as the previous few, but then everyone was going 2 years between records by then...

So am I right or am I right?

Totally! Even though the two offending tracks weren't among the last written, it still makes sense that if you have to come up with two more songs, or nearly ten more minutes, of music than you usually do, some of it will probably fall flat. Those two probably wound up at the end so fans could just stop at the usual 8 if they wanted without having to skip anything in-between.

Aye!

That was a blast from the past post, 2007? You probably weren't even born then!