How do you read your books?

deadwing2112

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is a really good book, noise won't bother me. If I am having trouble getting into the story or following what's happening , I need silence.

I'll read anywhere - at work, in the car (NOT while driving), on the couch, on the backporch...

I prefer silence, and I prefer the backporch, because then I can chainsmoke while I read. I like that.

I do a lot of my reading in bed, so that's in silence (apart from Pauline's snoring, which fans of electronic-ambient-minilamist-experimentation would probably interpret as Sigur Ros remixed by Aphex Twin.)

If I'm up and about, I read with the MP3 player on, but only with familiar music, and nothing too heavy. PLaying air guitar and reading at the same time don't really mix.

QUOTE (bytor11 @ Aug 10 2006, 02:28 PM)
Left to right, top to bottom, string the words together to form sentences, string the sentences together to form paragraphs, etc....
rofl3.gif

I read right to left, bottom to top, taking each character individually...

confused13.gif

I'm usually in a well-enough lit room, with complete silence. it usually helps if I can sit, or I'll spend alot of time changing positions on a bed.

I can handle a bit of noise, but if its actual talking, and not whispering, i get "Reading The Same Sentence Over And Over Syndrome".

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 11 2006, 09:38 AM)
Total silence lying in bed

Same here! That way I can really let myself go and get into the story. Otherwise, if there's noise I may miss some small detail that ends up being relevant later on in the book.

if its a good book, it doesnt matter whats goin on

round me, I can just lose myself in the book smile.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 15 2006, 11:53 PM)
Music is the way to go.  But that's what I say about everything.  I enjoy silence the most when there's music accompanying it smile.gif

Hahaha! I have music playing for many activities, but not usually when reading, unless I am reading a really bleak and depressing non-fiction book and need to be reminded of good things in the world, like music. I generally prefer silence, but background noise is a given in this house. If I am totally into a book, I will read it with the TV blaring in the next room, while I am stirring spaghetti sauce, if necessary; otherwise, I can't concentrate if the BGN is too loud.

Depends on the mood I'm in, I guess. I like reading while listening to jazz. Miles Davis is probably my favorite reading music. I don't like to listen to music with lyrics while reading. It seems to confuse my mind when I hear people singing and I'm trying to comprehend what's on the page. Although, sometimes I just like to sit down in a nice quiet room and read. No matter what the occasion, I still get the same enjoyment out of reading a good book.

i can read in just about any condition... noisy cafe, quiet room, outside with nature and whatever else is going on around me (right now, alot of construction... wacko.gif )...i'd say the biggest distraction for me would be the TV... if that is on....i have a hard time concentrating....