Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

I love The Spirit Carries On. It certainly fits very well in the story told on Scenes.

But I never quite got why it became the live staple it has. The band must really like it or it's just an easy song to play. It's not like it was this huge song for them and something the fans are expecting or want to hear every tour.

yea within the album i never skip it.

on live albums or bootleg's where it's a stand alone song i will skip it.

Mick

Hollow Years is a better choice if what they're going for is a slow-tempo ballad.

I've seen them play that song once live and seen them do Spirit multiple times. The response Hollow got from the crowd was better than any of the ones that Spirit got. I'm not saying it didn't get a good response but that chorus for Hollow is such a great sing along live. The crowd drowned James out during it. That never happened with Spirit.

• Like 2

Hollow Years is a better choice if what they're going for is a slow-tempo ballad.

I've seen them play that song once live and seen them do Spirit multiple times. The response Hollow got from the crowd was better than any of the ones that Spirit got. I'm not saying it didn't get a good response but that chorus for Hollow is such a great sing along live. The crowd drowned James out during it. That never happened with Spirit.

Also....excuse me for my views shining through.

but after hearing it over and over the message in Spirit gets so hit you over the head it may be a turn off to some people.

Mick

• Like 1

TAKE ME ACROSS THE WAAA...TTTTTEEEER

MAYBE YOU'LL UN.. DER.. STAAAAAAANNND!

Hollow Years is probably the better standalone song, but within the context of SFAM you can't go wrong with Spirit Carries On.

I like TSCO but yeah it's becoming DT's Spirit of the Radio or something. Imagine if they swapped this out for some oddball like Disappear. Tell me that wouldn't improve the first set a ton.

• Like 1

I saw them play Hollow Years in Perth in 2009, and Petrucci did the same extended solo at the end as he did on Budokan. The crowd went NUTS!

still one of my all time fav solo's. i repeated just the solo like 8 times the first time i heard it, lol

Mick

• Like 1

If you're gonna listen to that album, you may as well go through their whole catalog in order.

I'm up for it. It's been a few months!

• Like 2

Looks like I'm saving some money and missing this tour when it hits the US. Not interested in a nostalgia tour. I'd go if there was even one new song.

I'll console myself with the Astonishing live CD is there is one.

Looks like I'm saving some money and missing this tour when it hits the US. Not interested in a nostalgia tour. I'd go if there was even one new song.

I'll console myself with the Astonishing live CD if there is one.

IS there going to be one?

I haven't heard anything about this but I would've bet money they taped at least one of those shows.

I'll console myself with the Astonishing live CD if there is one.

IS there going to be one?

I haven't heard anything about this but I would've bet money they taped at least one of those shows.

i do not know the tour did well enough to warrant one. I heard the first leg did just ok. while the 2nd tanked so i'd say we're not getting one.

Mick

I listened to Live at Budokan today after a long while. Say what you want about Portnoy´s recent predictability on drums, but his drum parts on certain songs here, like Trial of Tears, Hell´s Kitchen, As I Am etc., when played by Mangini, sound quite weird, and not in a good way. Mangini seems to avoid cymbals at all costs, and some of the Portnoy-era songs played by him sound "empty" and stiff...

I want Portnoy back with the band he founded. While I have really enjoyed the first two CD's with Mike Mangini (TA really fell flat for me after I gave it muliple listens and chances over and over and now it collects dust) the band feels different without Portnoy.

I guess their is too much bad blood between him and Labrie and Ming.....but you never know.

But a certain magic and energy is missing.....it just is.

• Like 1

I want Portnoy back with the band he founded. While I have really enjoyed the first two CD's with Mike Mangini (TA really fell flat for me after I gave it muliple listens and chances over and over and now it collects dust) the band feels different without Portnoy.

I guess their is too much bad blood between him and Labrie and Ming.....but you never know.

But a certain magic and energy is missing.....it just is.

i get so afraid of Portnoy and what he's gonna do, lol cause IMO his last two records with DT sucked and that direction was ALL him.

but..........I'm warming to the idea of him being back. but i do not think it will happen. execpt for future one offs.

he's so involved in everything Neal Morse. i don't see him going back.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Wow, one bad album and people want Portnoy back already?

Dramatic turn and the self titled are their best albums since Six Degrees. Those two albums turn out nowhere near as good if he was still there. The band sounds revitalized with his departure. It seemed like Portnoy was holding something back with them in the song writing.

Let's wait to hear the next album before we start talking about bringing him back. I think the band will be just fine without him.

• Like 1