Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

Wow, one bad album and people want Portnoy back already?

Dramatic turn and the self titled are their best albums since Six Degrees. Those two albums turn out nowhere near as good if he was still there. The band sounds revitalized with his departure. It seemed like Portnoy was holding something back with them in the song writing.

Let's wait to hear the next album before we start talking about bringing him back. I think the band will be just fine without him.

i don't really want him back like..... at ALL.........cause like i said he and his ego scares the fukk outta me, lol.

But TA was underwhelming and it's fun to speculate.

in reality i really have no doubt that the next album will be back on track.

portnoy back in DT makes me think of one thing. and i'm quoting mike here......RAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWR!!!!!!!!!!

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Dramatic turn and the self titled are their best albums since Six Degrees. Those two albums turn out nowhere near as good if he was still there. The band sounds revitalized with his departure. It seemed like Portnoy was holding something back with them in the song writing.

Let's wait to hear the next album before we start talking about bringing him back. I think the band will be just fine without him.

i don't really want him back........cause like i said he and his ego scares the fukk outta me, lol.

portnoy back in DT makes me think of one thing. and i'm quoting mike here......RAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWR!!!!!!!!!!

Mick

I love that moment in A Nightmare To Remember!

That album was bae.

BAAAEEEEEEE

I forgot how much fun debating DT is.

i don't really want him back........cause like i said he and his ego scares the fukk outta me, lol.

Mick

That album was bae.

BAAAEEEEEEE

i knew if any band would bring you out DT would, lol.

but i really don't miss MP.

and i actually love the work he's done since DT so leave him be i say. please for the love of God stay away Mike, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Mick

That album was bae.

BAAAEEEEEEE

i knew if any band would bring you out DT would, lol.

but i really don't miss MP.

and i actually love the work he's done since DT so leave him be i sat.

Mick

SC sucks hard.

Always will.

Eew. I own that filth.

• Like 1

Discounting TA.....the mangini era produced 2 of the BEST DT albums in years.

I ADORE turn of Events and the self Titled.

Mick

I loved them.

I think I need to return to them.

It would do me some good to take a break from Paradise Lost.

• Like 1

Mick

The only way I want Portnoy near the band again is if he's brought in to produce Mangini's drum sound next time.

Ego or not, the guy knew how to mix the friggin' drums!

• Like 2

Mick

The only way I want Portnoy near the band again is if he's brought in to produce Mangini's drum sound next time.

not that my friend i'd be down for. he did know how drums should sound. just bar him from any input on the songs, lol

Mick

Mick

not that my friend i'd be down for. he did know how drums should sound. just bar him from any input on the songs, lol

Mick

Not gonna happen. Ever.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Not gonna happen. Ever.

oh i know it won't lol

bottom line is Portnoy is done with DT.

I don't even think Lebrie would want Mike back.

lot of tensions between those two. james looked giddy in that search for a new drummer documentary, lol

Mick

James and Myung had a hard time with Portnoy´s personality towards the end of his tenure with DT. I dare say that if Mangini decides to leave the band, they´re more likely to call someone else rather than calling Portnoy back in. I think James had an issue with Portnoy trying to entertain the crowd and overshadowing him as frontman. I´m not sure about the issue with Myung, I guess Portnoy had a dominant personality which just ran over Myung a bunch of times. There´s an audio commentary of one of their live DVDs where Portnoy unceremoniously slams one of Myung´s comments.

Mick

Mick

Not gonna happen. Ever.

oh i know it won't lol

bottom line is Portnoy is done with DT.

I don't even think Lebrie would want Mike back.

lot of tensions between those two. james looked giddy in that search for a new drummer documentary, lol

Mick

If i recall correctly bcsl is their best seller and sales have declined since. I also heard how poorly attended the ta tour was here in the states.

Since its about money they likely would make more of it with mp.

When you look at what mp has done and who he has played with vs what dt has done its clear to me he made the right choice.

James is a great singer but he is dated.

James and Myung had a hard time with Portnoy´s personality towards the end of his tenure with DT. I dare say that if Mangini decides to leave the band, they´re more likely to call someone else rather than calling Portnoy back in. I think James had an issue with Portnoy trying to entertain the crowd and overshadowing him as frontman. I´m not sure about the issue with Myung, I guess Portnoy had a dominant personality which just ran over Myung a bunch of times. There´s an audio commentary of one of their live DVDs where Portnoy unceremoniously slams one of Myung´s comments.

I get why they would never want to go back to MP. He must be a nightmare to work with, especially when he feels comfortable enough to be his full overbearing self. As a vocalist I would hate having him in back of me playing front man.

• Like 2

I get why they would never want to go back to MP. He must be a nightmare to work with, especially when he feels comfortable enough to be his full overbearing self. As a vocalist I would hate having him in back of me playing front man.

Yeah but dont you think that mp and pettrucci have a unique chemistry?

I watched a live Liquid tension experiment video last night. Damn they were laying it down. Teminded me of why i loved dt back in the day.

• Like 1

me too. Watching some of the portnoy era DVD'S i can totally see how james might get pissed off.

Mike clearly had a vision/delusion of being the front man. and it must have been annoying having his water/spit fly near your equipment, lol

Mick

I think people tend to look at MP´s contribution to the band under a negative light because of how poor BCSL and Sys Chaos were received upon release and how he was basically taking over the band as the albums went on. But he took the band to where it is today - granted, he and the others, but he made more than half of the decisions of DT when he was a member. I think the whole situation of hi departure could have been dealt with more properly. Unfortunately, he thought he was irreplaceable and called everybody else´s bluff. Of course, his rants on social media did not help his reputation.
  • Like 1

I think people tend to look at MP´s contribution to the band under a negative light because of how poor BCSL and Sys Chaos were received upon release and how he was basically taking over the band as the albums went on. But he took the band to where it is today - granted, he and the others, but he made more than half of the decisions of DT when he was a member. I think the whole situation of hi departure could have been dealt with more properly. Unfortunately, he thought he was irreplaceable and called everybody else´s bluff. Of course, his rants on social media did not help his reputation.

when i look at it as him calling their bluff.......i do feel bad for him. it must have hurt. but at the same time......did he really think the band would roll over and Wait? I respect them much more for not being pushed around.

it all worked out.

the band sees happier.

and mike.....well he would marry Neal Morse if he could. he LOVES his gig there.

Mick

• Like 2

I like most of what he released after leaving DT. Especially The Winery Dogs and Flying Colours. And actually, I was listening to PSMS the other day, and loved that project!!! Too bad they decided not to carry on. It would be nice to hear them do new material in studio. All they did was a tour with selected covers from each members´ repertoire.
  • Like 1

I like most of what he released after leaving DT. Especially The Winery Dogs and Flying Colours. And actually, I was listening to PSMS the other day, and loved that project!!! Too bad they decided not to carry on. It would be nice to hear them do new material in studio. All they did was a tour with selected covers from each members´ repertoire.

That may be because tony mcalpine has been sick. Hopefully he is feeling better.

• Like 1

That may be because tony mcalpine has been sick. Hopefully he is feeling better.

I think he´s recovered now, but that band did not get much traction. The whole tour was a disastrous affair. Musically though, I really like what they released.

His departure from DT is all his doing. You can't tell your mates you want to chill for 2 or 3 years so it can be fresh for you when you are ready to resume just so you can pursue other projects. It doesn't work that way. These guys have only so many years to work hard and earn. Losing a few years is not acceptable. You can't expect a band like DT to be ok with that, when the real reason was his romance with Avenged Sevenfold. He wanted that gig, and when they let him go he wanted to crawl back with his tail between his legs and play the victim card. They didn't fire him, he quit. He played his cards wrong and can only blame himself. He gave the band an out from his controlling thumb and they took it and ran.

• Like 3

I agree, Tick. I´m not saying it wasn´t all his doing. It was. But maybe with a bit more open dialogue he could get those guys to agree on a shorter break...I wasn´t there of course, so it´s all a huge guess on my part. At that time he seemed quite dominant in DT, and the other guys took the first chance they could to get the control back. I think things are a bit more "harmonic" in the band these days, but it turned into "Petrucci & Friends" a bit too much for me.
  • Like 2

His departure from DT is all his doing. You can't tell your mates you want to chill for 2 or 3 years so it can be fresh for you when you are ready to resume just so you can pursue other projects. It doesn't work that way. These guys have only so many years to work hard and earn. Losing a few years is not acceptable. You can't expect a band like DT to be ok with that, when the real reason was his romance with Avenged Sevenfold. He wanted that gig, and when they let him go he wanted to crawl back with his tail between his legs and play the victim card. They didn't fire him, he quit. He played his cards wrong and can only blame himself. He gave the band an out from his controlling thumb and they took it and ran.

then didn't he go off on a portnoy fit when A7F Didn't want him full time?

or am i making that up?

lol.

Mick

• Like 1

He was all over the place at that time, Mick, so you might be right. Then the next thing he did was Adrenaline Mob...what a wasted opportunity - working with Russel Allen and producing something so formulaic!!
  • Like 2