Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

I agree, Tick. I´m not saying it wasn´t all his doing. It was. But maybe with a bit more open dialogue he could get those guys to agree on a shorter break...I wasn´t there of course, so it´s all a huge guess on my part. At that time he seemed quite dominant in DT, and the other guys took the first chance they could to get the control back. I think things are a bit more "harmonic" in the band these days, but it turned into "Petrucci & Friends" a bit too much for me.

Well, Jordan has a lot of influence. JP doesn't want any. MM is just happy to be on board. James is just trying to keep his voice in working order. JP is the man now, and he has done well as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

I agree, Tick. I´m not saying it wasn´t all his doing. It was. But maybe with a bit more open dialogue he could get those guys to agree on a shorter break...I wasn´t there of course, so it´s all a huge guess on my part. At that time he seemed quite dominant in DT, and the other guys took the first chance they could to get the control back. I think things are a bit more "harmonic" in the band these days, but it turned into "Petrucci & Friends" a bit too much for me.

Well, Jordan has a lot of influence. JP doesn't want any. MM is just happy to be on board. James is just trying to keep his voice in working order. JP is the man now, and he has done well as far as I'm concerned.

3142889689_10ccb9b7f0_b.jpg

• Like 1

Well all this talk about MP is making my head spin.

Very interesting though! I never quite realised the amount of friction this band had between them and MP.

But anyway...music...played Octavarium today. It used to blow me away. Now?

It's a nice album. It's not kept the initial excitement that made it so enthralling for a while.

But I still love These Walls. Really connect with that song! All in all though, it's very good but Train Of Thought has risen for me as the better of the two. I don't really like the title track.

Gonna play another early favourite of mine soon: Black Clouds. It felt like a tribute to gothic metal in certain ways and for that, I enjoyed it. A fun, often silly album with breathtaking moments of grandeur that just hit the spot in the right place.

At least...That's how I remember it!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Well all this talk about MP is making my head spin.

Very interesting though! I never quite realised the amount of friction this band had between them and MP.

But anyway...music...played Octavarium today. It used to blow me away. Now?

It's a nice album. It's not kept the initial excitement that made it so enthralling for a while.

But I still love These Walls. Really connect with that song! All in all though, it's very good but Train Of Thought has risen for me as the better of the two. I don't really like the title track.

Gonna play another early favourite of mine soon: Black Clouds. It felt like a tribute to gothic metal in certain ways and for that, I enjoyed it. A fun, often silly album with breathtaking moments of grandeur that just hit the spot in the right place.

At least...That's how I remember it!

The run of albums from their debut through Octavarium was EPIC. Systematic Chaos fell kinda flat for me (some great tracks but overall a average album).

Then Black Clouds came out and I loved it. Still do. Big bombastic prog metal. And the cover CD is also a great listen. Black Clouds had a lot of little Rush nods on it as well. Xanadu in the slow section of Count Of Tuscany and the intro guitar on Best Of Times (Spirit Of Radio). DT has always had a strong Rush influence in their music....pretty obvious one in fact.

Like I said a few pages ago, I love the first two albums post MP. I just feel there is something missing. It is a musical energy thing that is hard to explain. But the chemistry between MP and JP is undeniable and they are better together than apart.

Simple as that.

And Magnini's drums sound like crap in the studio. Got to be frank. That snare sound is cringe inducing on DT and hard to overcome. On a dramatic Turn Of Events it is not nearly as prevalent. But on the last albums.....lord man. Sounds like a synthetic drum sound. So bad.

I love The Winery Dogs BTW. Both albums sizzle.

I have a feeling you will see MP back with DT in a few years. In fact mark it down. They will do an epic evening with tour and do huge ticket sale numbers.

The Astonishing for all intensive purposes was a major flop with all the long time fans. Just a huge build up and marketing campaign and the music fell flat on it's face. It's bloated, meandering, and quite frankly.....boring.

Edited by Todem

Looks like I'm saving some money and missing this tour when it hits the US. Not interested in a nostalgia tour. I'd go if there was even one new song.

I'll console myself with the Astonishing live CD if there is one.

IS there going to be one?

I haven't heard anything about this but I would've bet money they taped at least one of those shows.

I don't think anything was ever announced but they've released something live for every album since Train Of Thought (Six Degrees if we're counting official bootlegs) except for Black Clouds and given the love they have for it I would have expected it. Usually though they SAY when they are recording a show. if it was a for a DVD though someone would have noticed cameras so it might be a CD only surprise release. Who knows though? They are kind of busy with the nostalgia thing right now.

Listened to Systematic Chaos again today. I love how clear each instrument is on this album!!! I get why people criticize it, but I can´t help but feel that a lot of people unfairly judge this album. Some of the songs are way too long and overbearing, but once you spend time absorbing them and knowing little details here and there, listening to the whole thing is a rewarding experience. It´s the last album where I feel Portnoy pushed his boundaries as a drummer. Black Clouds is a great album too, but in my opinion he didn´t bring much to the table drum-wise on that album.
  • Like 2

Listened to Systematic Chaos again today. I love how clear each instrument is on this album!!! I get why people criticize it, but I can´t help but feel that a lot of people unfairly judge this album. Some of the songs are way too long and overbearing, but once you spend time absorbing them and knowing little details here and there, listening to the whole thing is a rewarding experience. It´s the last album where I feel Portnoy pushed his boundaries as a drummer. Black Clouds is a great album too, but in my opinion he didn´t bring much to the table drum-wise on that album.

now i strongly dislike the album as a whole.....BUT.......The Ministry of Lost Souls is one of my fav DT songs.

i can't say enough about that song.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

It's the only Dream Theater album that I have to fight to get through. I don't think it was mastered well at all and the cartoon/fantasy metal aspect is a huge turn off for me.

That said, I do like Constant Motion, Repentance and. Prophets Of War. (Especially live.) I like Black Clouds better though It's not really pushing any envelopes.

I love Black Clouds.

Scenes and Octavarium have lost my interest by BC remains my favourite!

My fav still remains Scenes and that will never change.

however Six degrees is now in my number 2 slot.

with the self titled moving up to number 3........Octavarium is now 4th.

Theres some really great stuff on BC but it's overwrought with stuff i just HATE.

Wither

The Best of times

Count of Tuscany

Take out those. for me it becomes a great 3 song, 37 min album, lol

Mick

Theres some really great stuff on BC but it's overwrought with stuff i just HATE.

Wither

The Best of times

Count of Tuscany

Wait, what... this is the stuff you hate?!

Tell me I've got that backward. These are three of the four best songs on the album.

Edited by KenJennings

Wither

The Best of times

Count of Tuscany

Wait... this is the stuff you hate?!

Tell me I've got that backward.

yup. i really don't like those songs at all.

Tuscany has some ok moments but i feel it's long for long's sake.

Mick

Wither

The Best of times

Count of Tuscany

Mick

I think it's fun. Which makes up for it being so derivative. The same I cannot say about Octavarium. Awful exercise in self indulgence.

Wither

The Best of times

Count of Tuscany

Mick

I think it's fun. Which makes up for it being so derivative. The same I cannot say about Octavarium. Awful exercise in self indulgence.

nope Octavarium the song is AMAZING.

The album is iffy.

Mick

• Like 2

My issue with Count Of Tuscany is the same as Mick's. Just always felt it was long just for the sake of it. I like the song but it would be better if they trimmed the fat off it. I feel the same way about Best Of Times. Don't really care for that song as a whole though.

Nightmare To Remember, Rite Of Passage and Shattered Fortress are far and way the best songs on the album.

With all the hate Systematic Chaos gets, I wonder if I'm the only one who has always loved In The Presence Of Enemies. Got a really good response when I saw them on that tour. Got me thinking it was a big fan favorite. Maybe I was wrong.

• Like 2

My issue with Count Of Tuscany is the same as Mick's. Just always felt it was long just for the sake of it. I like the song but it would be better if they trimmed the fat off it. I feel the same way about Best Of Times. Don't really care for that song as a whole though.

Nightmare To Remember, Rite Of Passage and Shattered Fortress are far and way the best songs on the album.

With all the hate Systematic Chaos gets, I wonder if I'm the only one who has always loved In The Presence Of Enemies. Got a really good response when I saw them on that tour. Got me thinking it was a big fan favorite. Maybe I was wrong.

In the presence i enjoyed when i heard them play the Full thing live.

that and Ministry of Lost souls are about the only songs i Like on SC.

I just felt on SC and Black Clouds they were going for a sound and mood that just didn't fit them one bit.

Mick

• Like 1

Though this isn't my favorite DT album it does have one of my favorite songs of theirs (In the Presence of Enemies 1 & 2). Runner up is The Dark Eternal Night. The rest is ehhh.

TCoT is awesome BUT it would be way better if they cut out the 5 minute part where he's in the cellar with all the RARE VINTAGE / Xanadu part 2 bit.

Nightmare to Remember is only hampered by the same- the last 2 minutes or so could be cut off and it'd be a much better song for it.

I'm with you on Rite of Passage, that's a good one.

Edited by Del_Duio

Wither

The Best of times

Count of Tuscany

Mick

The album is iffy.

Mick

Octavarium the song is probably a top 3 DT song for almost everybody.

• Like 1

Wither

The Best of times

Count of Tuscany

Mick

The album is iffy.

Mick

Octavarium the song is probably a top 3 DT song for almost everybody.

i can't see how anyone could find it boring. and that live Score version. more please, lol

Maybe it's cause i'm a floyd fan. it it wasn't for the 6 degrees Suite it would be my fav DT epic.

Mick

• Like 1

Depending on how we're defining it, A Change of Seasons is DT's best epic. Octavarium is second.

i never got the praise for Seasons. i mean it's ok. but ift never blew me back like it seems to do for others

Mick

With talk like that, we're gonna' abuse and then ignore him!

• Like 1

Count of Tuscany doesn't start smoking for me until the instrumental break. Before that it kind of seems forced.

I think Nightmare To Remember is probably my least favorite on that album. The lyrics put a damper on it for me.