Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

I don't find anything other than maybe the concept different.

Same ballads they keep throwing at us.

Same typical DT melodies.

Same generic instrumentation.

Candy coated Broadway style, a more saccharine version of some of the stuff they had tried on Systematic Chaos.

I hear nothing new. And the rock opera thing, maybe new to DT but it adds nothing new to the genre.

I am still divided between admiration and boredom. It peaked earlier this weak, but its overall to familiar sounding to impress. I got the same vibe off the last two records as well.

Holy Smokes - you waffle more on this album than any career politician - I've been checking in on the mood for this release and I've seen you praise it as "Fantastic" and the next day it's "Crapola!" "Have trouble making decisions? well, yes and no!" lol :)

Personally, it has fallen waaaaayyyyyy short for me - really not digging it. I've only been able to give it a few chances, but man, really not getting it for me. I've been a fan since I&A in 92; really liked the self titled, but really feel blah about this album. Too many syruppy balads, too many chiche parts, terrible grating fake drum sound - I almost can't listen to it. Rarely have I been so repulsed by an album from a band that I generally like.

Well I am new to this band, and it grew on me to a point, but I have yet to listen to the album and hear it sound any better than it did Monday. The more I have played it the worse it gets.

And only one other album of DT did that to me: Systematic Chaos.

And I also rarely play the last two, and I find the second disc very bland.

Also, I think it is normal for people to have mixed emotions in things. I am just one of the few that likes to detail his emotions on music like this.

There is nothing on this album that strikes me as new. Nothing.

And this is the one album I have been most EXCITED about for 2016. And my favourite band is releasing a new record!

I really have mixed feelings and I don't see why it's OK to be fully negative, OK to be fully POSITIVE, but somehow bad to admit upfront that I AM ABSOLUTELY DIVIDED BY AN ALBUM.

Sorry I am not a fanboy, I am just somebody who believed all the hype, read every stupid poncy email, played The Gift Of Music over and over, looked forward to the concept, joined a forum to discover more about the album and other fans, only to have the entire album before me end up sounding like the same old DT album I have been playing for weeks on end!

In the whole of 2013-2016, not one single new release left me as torn and disappointed as this album, and when it clicked with me earlier this weak, I was adamant and delighted that I might just connect with it.

This album is nothing special.

And I am sorry I bothered trying to discuss this album open mindedly.

Edited by Segue Myles

Look I think the band took a bit of a risk with TA.They knew it would be met with some criticism,and it has! Over on the DT forum naturally the majority of them love it,but there are some members who are not happy at all with it! Where's the shredding ? The aggression ? Too many ballads.Not enough of DTs familiar extended jams and more importantly no tracks beyond the eight minute mark! Other forums are saying the same things too! You have to agree though that most of these points are true,and TA is unlike any DT album!

Did we really want to listen to more of the same from the band again on this release ? The last three or four albums whilst being good,were to much of the same thing I.e. no variety Therefore they've obviously thought they'd go in the opposite direction and try something different! Brave or stupid or both ?

Personally I think it's a bold move from the band,but it will be criticised for a while yet!

At least the band have a decent back catalogue to listen to,but I'll still be enjoying TA for awhile yet,then no doubt they'll be a Live Deluxe Version of the album later,and then in two or three years DT will release an " Old Fashioned Prog Metal Album ",and everybody will be very happy!

• Like 1

Look........this is my opinion........but to say this is not a risky project is crazy to me. after the last 2 being fairly straight forward. this was WAY risky.

a 2 hour rock opera.......with some of the best melodies they've written.

this was out there......it was a chance taken.

most don't like it.....fine.

but i commend the boys for this

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Look........this is my opinion........but to say this is not a risky project is crazy to me. after the last 2 being fairly straight forward. this was WAY risky.

a 2 hour rock opera.......with some of the best melodies they've written.

this was out there......it was a chance taken.

most don't like it.....fine.

but i commend the boys for this

Mick

It was a risky project that would have worked if the music didn't feel old hat.

My last post on the subject.

• Like 1

I had a total Dream Theater Night at the Guitar Center! I went in to the store to buy some Neil Peart 747s. (Please I don't use these sticks because he is my MAN. I've been using 747's for over 30 years.)

Anyway who cares.

So I was able to pick up three pair.

As I was trying to locate the 747 bin I discovered some Mike Portnoy signature series sticks. American Hickory with the white nylon tip. I prefer the Japanese oak, hence the reason for my obsession with the 747.

Anyway I figured that I would try some Portnoy sticks out on my kit so I bought two pair. 10.88 per pair.

I also decided to buy the new DRUM Magazine with Mike Mangini on the cover. Killer pics and articles. One is written by John P. You WetDreamTheaterFanBois should en"snare" this mag.

Anyway I went home and whipped out my bad ass Portnoy drum sticks.

I will confess, they felt very light and where very easy to maneuver over my kit. I prefer solid wood tips but the nylon gives the ride and the hi-hat an extra crispness.

I decided to play "Hemispheres" with the sticks.

Well by the time I got to "The Trees" I cracked a Portnoy stick right down the middle. It was the stick in my right hand. The ride cymbal stick.

I wasn't surprised by this folks.

I hate American Hickory.

You would think that I am some great drummer in a serious famous band.

I am nothing. What irony. My fault. Never got lucky when it came to a band, or a woman for that matter.

I played to the Boz Scaggs album "Silk Degrees" with my Steve Gadd drumsticks.

I shattered one in half and I didn't even get through "Lowdown."

Perhaps it's me.

I don't get it.

Oh well.

• Like 1

I had a total Dream Theater Night at the Guitar Center! I went in to the store to buy some Neil Peart 747s. (Please I don't use these sticks because he is my MAN. I've been using 747's for over 30 years.)

Anyway who cares.

As I was trying to locate the 747 bin I discovered some Mike Portnoy signature series sticks. American Hickory with the white nylon tip. I prefer the Japanese oak, hence the reason for my obsession with the 747.

Anyway I figured that I would try some Portnoy sticks out on my kit so I bought two pair. 10.88 per pair.

I also decided to buy the new DRUM Magazine with Mike Mangini on the cover. Killer pics and articles. One is written by John P. You WetDreamTheaterFanBois should en"snare" this mag.

I will confess, they felt very light and where very easy to maneuver over my kit. I prefer solid wood tips but the nylon gives the ride and the hi-hat an extra crispness.

Well by the time I got to "The Trees" I cracked a Portnoy stick right down the middle. It was the stick in my right hand. The ride cymbal stick.

I hate American Hickory.

I am nothing. What irony. My fault. Never got lucky when it came to a band, or a woman for that matter.

Perhaps it's me.

I don't get it.

Oh well.

Maybe you love your sticks so much and gripped them way too hard Earl!

Candy coated Broadway style, a more saccharine version of some of the stuff they had tried on Systematic Chaos.

I hear nothing new. And the rock opera thing, maybe new to DT but it adds nothing new to the genre.

I am still divided between admiration and boredom. It peaked earlier this weak, but its overall to familiar sounding to impress. I got the same vibe off the last two records as well.

Holy Smokes - you waffle more on this album than any career politician - I've been checking in on the mood for this release and I've seen you praise it as "Fantastic" and the next day it's "Crapola!" "Have trouble making decisions? well, yes and no!" lol :)

Personally, it has fallen waaaaayyyyyy short for me - really not digging it. I've only been able to give it a few chances, but man, really not getting it for me. I've been a fan since I&A in 92; really liked the self titled, but really feel blah about this album. Too many syruppy balads, too many chiche parts, terrible grating fake drum sound - I almost can't listen to it. Rarely have I been so repulsed by an album from a band that I generally like.

Ditto.

Anyway who cares.

I hate American Hickory.

Perhaps it's me.

I don't get it.

Oh well.

Maybe you love your sticks so much and gripped them way too hard Earl!

Hahaha! It sucks being celibate for two years as a drummer buddy.

Yep. I need to "Get A Grip."

Love,

Aerosmith

Ditto.

This is very funny to me.

I hate Dream Theater since "Six Degrees" and I love the new record.

Actually I'm full of shit.

"Octovarium" "Sliver Linings" and the last two with Mangini are excellent.

Almost done with my third listen, and like it even less. I think they bet too much on the format as being the "new thing" they're tryimg. Musically there is absolutely nothing new and nothing that particularly stands out if you've heard at least one more album from their back catalogue.

Oh, and the syrupy melody that permeates the album ("brother can you hear me blablabla") is like The Spirit Carries On dip into a honey pot. I can't stand it!

• Like 3

Almost done with my third listen, and like it even less. I think they bet too much on the format as being the "new thing" they're tryimg. Musically there is absolutely nothing new and nothing that particularly stands out if you've heard at least one more album from their back catalogue.

Oh, and the syrupy melody that permeates the album ("brother can you hear me blablabla") is like The Spirit Carries On dip into a honey pot. I can't stand it!

This.

• Like 1

I'm not faulting Anyone for not liking TA.

what get's me is this

"I wish they'd do something Different."

they do.

"Ew.....i wish it were more like Images."

Can't win, lol

Mick

It´s not the same person making those statements, mate!

• Like 1

Well, I like it and that includes the 5 or 6 NOMAC interludes haha.

I do hear bits and pieces of stuff that sounds similar to other songs of theirs in places- whether it's the actual sound / soundbank or a partial melody. Like I said before, there's a part that sounds like a line delivery from Octavarium (about when his wife died I think), a part that reminds me of something from SFAM, some parts that sound like they're from Behind the Veil and Outcry, etc.

But this to me is a great album still. Does it have more ballads and crap on it than usual? Sure it does, BUT if you take it all in the context of the story and who's supposed to be talking it makes more sense that there's so many softer parts in here (that's what SHE said!) I mean think of the mighty 2112- Somebody else on the boards here said it best, I mean there's 4 or 5 minutes of Alex tuning up with a waterfall for Chrissakes! If it fits the story, it's in baby (also what she.. oh nevermind)

Oh also on a good sound system you can hear Myung better than crappy computer speakers. I think they mixed him lower to sort of blend into what Pettruci's doing, which is pretty much par for the course when it comes to most DT records (self-titled and FII are the exceptions I can think or off the top of my head).

• Like 3

I'm not faulting Anyone for not liking TA.

what get's me is this

"I wish they'd do something Different."

they do.

"Ew.....i wish it were more like Images."

Can't win, lol

Mick

It´s not the same person making those statements, mate!

i know......i wasn't pointing at anyone directly. i just read that a lot and it's stupid, lol'

Mick

This right here.

I think some confuse the album's length with the band trying something radically different. It's really just the opposite for me. It's the same DT, but boring, lifeless, and just plain uninteresting. Not to mention overly lengthy.

I'd be okay with 34 ballads on the album if they were fascinating to listen to. But it's the same LaBrie sighs and dramatic, floaty moments on every damn song. It already gets old by the first half of disc 1. By the time the songs get more entertaining, they've already lost marks.

I understand if people enjoy it, and I'm glad they do. But they're not doing anything differently. They're just doing a longer-than-normal album. It's still fundamental DT. Unfortunately, it's mired in repetition.

• Like 1

This right here.

I think some confuse the album's length with the band trying something radically different. It's really just the opposite for me. It's the same DT, but boring, lifeless, and just plain uninteresting. Not to mention overly lengthy.

I'd be okay with 34 ballads on the album if they were fascinating to listen to. But it's the same LaBrie sighs and dramatic, floaty moments on every damn song. It already gets old by the first half of disc 1. By the time the songs get more entertaining, they've already lost marks.

I understand if people enjoy it, and I'm glad they do. But they're not doing anything differently. They're just doing a longer-than-normal album. It's still fundamental DT. Unfortunately, it's mired in repetition.

This is exactly what I mean.

The reason I am so frustrated as well is that nothing in this album is rubbish, but nothing stands out either. I really want to enjoy it as a whole, but like you said, not even halfway through disc one, it sounds like the same thing over and over! And I do not see how any of this is new for the band. The reason Six Degrees worked so well is because the two sides were not strictly connected to each other. The reason Scenes works so well is because the band were on another level all together back then. They created a rare example of a near flawless metal album.

But The Astonishing neither offends nor overjoys me. I wanted so much to love this! I returned to some older DT, and I can still play it over and over, so it isn't particularly DT burnout.

Nothing compelling going on with this record at all. It is consistently "nice".

• Like 2

Ironically, The Astonishing feels more in line with Transatlantic / Neal Morse that Mike Portnoy plays on, in terms of less "Metal" and more Melodic / Symphonic which I also love. Edited by Duke1
  • Like 1

Some of you need to realize that just because a song has a piano intro and some mellow moments does not make it a ballad. Some act like half the songs on this are ballads, when really it's more like a handful or so.

I think we know that. But at the same time, the constant syrupy vocal stylings can make it seem that way.

• Like 1

So I have had 4 full listens front to back.

I like the album. It's not great. It's not bad. It is a Dream Theatre play. Simply put if you don't immerse yourself in the story this album is bad. If you let yourself get carried away with the narrative and live through the characters the album is a success to certain degrees.

I know what parts I enjoy more than others now and can now go back and play certain suites without having to play it straight through. With that being said my original impression holds true that nothing stands out on it's own. There are some highlights though and here they are:

Lord Nefarious, The Gift Of Music, A Savior In The Square, Three Days, A Life Left Behind, A New Beginning, Moment Of Betrayal, Our New World

8 tunes that to me can stand on their own. Not a lot considering the amount of tracks on the album.

So it is a production that truly is more about the whole rather than the sum of the parts. It really does not work unless you listen to it as a true Rock Opera. And then if your not liking the sounds and pieces....well then it's not going to work. It's a lofty project, I can only imagine how much time, practice and effort went into this, and I hope I am able to see them live on this tour (come to Florida!!!!) to appreciate it with a production behind it in a live setting which I think will give it even more life.

Overall for me it is a 6.5/10

I will continue to play this album and then it will be put away for a while. It is something I can listen to on long drives and it can be more of a musical event and I think that is what DT was aiming for. When you listen to this they want you to approach it like your going to the theatre and watching a play unfold.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

So I have had 4 full listens front to back.

I like the album. It's not great. It's not bad. It is a Dream Theatre play. Simply put if you don't immerse yourself in the story this album is bad. If you let yourself get carried away with the narrative and live through the characters the album is a success to certain degrees.

I know what parts I enjoy more than others now and can now go back and play certain suites without having to play it straight through. With that being said my original impression holds true that nothing stands out on it's own. There are some highlights though and here they are:

Lord Nefarious, The Gift Of Music, A Savior In The Square, Three Days, A Life Left Behind, A New Beginning, Moment Of Betrayal, Our New World

8 tunes that to me can stand on their own. Not a lot considering the amount of tracks on the album.

So it is a production that truly is more about the whole rather than the sum of the parts. It really does not work unless you listen to it as a true Rock Opera. And then if your not liking the sounds and pieces....well then it's not going to work. It's a lofty project, I can only imagine how much time, practice and effort went into this, and I hope I am able to see them live on this tour (come to Florida!!!!) to appreciate it with a production behind it in a live setting which I think will give it even more life.

Overall for me it is a 6.5/10

I will continue to play this album and then it will be put away for a while. It is something I can listen to on long drives and it can be more of a musical event and I think that is what DT was aiming for. When you listen to this they want you to approach it like your going to the theatre and watching a play unfold.

In my honest opinion, the story is rubbish, I am a big reader of fantasy and science fiction, and this is pulp fiction at its worst. I had hoped the concept would allow the music to improve, but it didn't.

I also give it about 6/10. It's one of those albums where I cannot pinpoint anything bad, but at the same time it doesn't have anything to keep me coming back! Not a hook, not a single transcending emotive passage, the lyrics are awful. The orchestration is bland, it fills a void that bridges the dullness of the bands playing, but like the band themselves, it doesn't seem to amount to much.

No innovation. I keep hearing "DT are still attempting something new and different". Two and a half hours of bland music, telling a generic sci-fi story, with equally generic (but not horrible) melodies, does not strike me as "new" or "different".

But I like it more than a few DT records. I think I would take this over Train Of Thought, Systematic Chaos, Falling Into Infinity and possibly even A Dramatic Turn Of Events (but I do enjoy this more than I give it credit for). But saying that, each of those albums have at least two songs I could play endlessly. This has none. A few highlights, but they sink into the saminess that surround them. For over two hours.

Edited by Segue Myles