Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

Finally, a proper concept album.

Listening for the fifth time, it hit me that this is like a proper movie. Never quite experienced a record quite this vivid since Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The World's

• Like 1

After more listens to The Astonishing this weekend, I think that it is good it's just way too long.

The first 5-6 songs to kick things off though are really good and fit together well.

If they took maybe half of the songs out (probably the "filler" songs you read about in the reviews for it I'd guess) this would be an incredibly strong effort. As I said before, some of JR's distorted solos on this are so f***in' killer and maybe the best he's done with the band period.

This also has to be one of or maybe the most non-metal album they've ever done. Sure, it has its moments but I wonder what a fan who's first album was ToT or SC's going to think about it.

I really have come to accept that whilst I don't think it's a "bad" album, it is not for me. Time to move on...I tried again and I just can't get into it, neither the concept nor the music itself. The highlights are timid and too easily traceable to superior efforts in the back catalogue.

That's where I am also. I have only listened to it once and it was a struggle honestly. It's not that it's bad, it's just not for me. I am not connecting with it. Maybe it's just not for me NOW.

• Like 1

Listening for the fifth time, it hit me that this is like a proper movie. Never quite experienced a record quite this vivid since Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The World's

bro........that makes me feel less alone and insane, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

It's no wonder I didn't get it last week...it is a really powerful work of art. I was listening very closely, and Once I made the Jeff Wayne connection I treated it as a movie. It works, it really works!

I am hesitant right now to be too positive, but tonight was the most connected I have been to any DT album yet. It is a sensory experience, but I don't think it's one that everyone will embrace.

But as a reader of very heavy fantasy and science fiction, its turning out very well! It's like a musical audio book!

I need the CD.

• Like 1

Mick

It's no wonder I didn't get it last week...it is a really powerful work of art. I was listening very closely, and Once I made the Jeff Wayne connection I treated it as a movie. It works, it really works!

I am hesitant right now to be too positive, but tonight was the most connected I have been to any DT album yet. It is a sensory experience, but I don't think it's one that everyone will embrace.

But as a reader of very heavy fantasy and science fiction, its turning out very well! It's like a musical audio book!

I need the CD.

i desperatly want this staged or at the very least a movie. or an anime.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

I really want a great novelized version. I work best with books!

Patrick Rothfuss, Tad Williams, Brandon Sanderson...WE NEED YOUR EXPERTISE!

• Like 1

Ok, starting to finds things I like...was sitting in my car waiting for my wife to walk out of work....

I'm LOVING LaBrie's singing! Three Days is nice...but his voice is really doing a nice job!

Brother Can You Hear me, though...starts out like "Bring out your dead" from Holy Grail...but goes into "Bring The Boys Back Home" (more Wall sort of stuff)

And I LOVE the beginning of A Life Left Behind!

But still...that freaking snare drum!!!!

• Like 1

It's growing on more and more I see!

Forums are full of similar reactions.

• Like 1

Been listening in the car for the past week or so. Lots of music to take in. I really like that it's over two hours of music. Cause once I have soaked it all in and know the music inside and out the discovery is over. It's gonna take a while to take all this in. I just let it play from song one to the last tune. Once you know the album you want a new album to come out. So more music is GREAT!

It's truly amazing how a bad snare drum sound can ruin a music landscape. What the heck are they thinking the last three albums with their new drummer!? You figure after a dramatic turn of events they got the memo. Nope. It's got progressively worse. Mikes playing on this album seems like he's searching. Maybe he needed another few months to find a different approach. It's the same double bass and typical Mike fills and drum parts. The first two albums Mike did with the band is stellar. The writing was crazy awesome. He really shines. This album is a different animal. It's good. I just wanted more great. Where are the awesome epic guitar solos! Singing is very good. He's always sounds great. In a few months I'm sure I will have a different view/take on the music. I just hope it's on the positive side.

I'm done. One of their less ballsy records. Too many sappy ballads, LaBrie breathing too much into the microphone and sticking to the mid range, no bass anywhere to be found, same drum fills as always. On their last tour I flew to Europe to see them. Now, if they play in my backyard, I'll prefer to escape to my mother-in-law's place.
  • Like 1

I'm done. One of their less ballsy records. Too many sappy ballads, LaBrie breathing too much into the microphone and sticking to the mid range, no bass anywhere to be found, same drum fills as always. On their last tour I flew to Europe to see them. Now, if they play in my backyard, I'll prefer to escape to my mother-in-law's place.

Did you find the vocals underwhelming? Or was it just the fact you tired of endless ballads?

I do wish they had made this album a more metallic affair, especially disc two.

Did you find the vocals underwhelming? Or was it just the fact you tired of endless ballads?

Waaaaaaay too many ballads, and no challenge at all for LaBrie. On the previous album he had many memorable moments, most notably on the last track.

Also, the album just ends on a mundane note...where's the epic epilogue? Granted, one or two songs (of 34!!!!!!) are good. But it's nowhere near what I felt for any of their albums I heard upon release - the first of which being A Change of Seasons.

• Like 1

Waaaaaaay too many ballads, and no challenge at all for LaBrie. On the previous album he had many memorable moments, most notably on the last track.

Also, the album just ends on a mundane note...where's the epic epilogue? Granted, one or two songs (of 34!!!!!!) are good. But it's nowhere near what I felt for any of their albums I heard upon release - the first of which being A Change of Seasons.

The ending is as far as I am concerned the weakest artistic choice the band has ever made! The first disc is surprisingly varied (with repeat plays), but side two slowly winds down. It is very good, until the last track.

Over two hours, and no real payoff.

Otherwise, the album does truly open up. I thought it was bland, it is surprisingly beautiful to my ears now.

Change Of Seasons was your first listen?

Really?

Awesome! Might replay it!

I am starting my 3rd proper play through front to back.

2nd was much better than the first in typical DT fashion. But reading the lyrics and getting a visual of the story is critical to immersing yourself into what DT is reaching for with this ambitious project.

I also have come to the realization to not even compare this with anything they have ever done. Because it is simply nothing like they have ever done before. It has a lot of restraint. The riffs are tasteful, sudden and in the right spots, and then they move on to the next suite.

It a beautiful production.

It is not meant to be listened to in pieces. This is an album where you cozy up with a bottle of wine, or whatever organic refreshments you like with your music (or none), and just lose yourself in the story they are weaving. It is a slow burn. It is an epic movie unfolding.

It has truly come together for me once I turned off any comparison to any previous album.

This is it's own animal.

• Like 2

I am starting my 3rd proper play through front to back.

2nd was much better than the first in typical DT fashion. But reading the lyrics and getting a visual of the story is critical to immersing yourself into what DT is reaching for with this ambitious project.

I also have come to the realization to not even compare this with anything they have ever done. Because it is simply nothing like they have ever done before. It has a lot of restraint. The riffs are tasteful, sudden and in the right spots, and then they move on to the next suite.

It a beautiful production.

It is not meant to be listened to in pieces. This is an album where you cozy up with a bottle of wine, or whatever organic refreshments you like with your music (or none), and just lose yourself in the story they are weaving. It is a slow burn. It is an epic movie unfolding.

It has truly come together for me once I turned off any comparison to any previous album.

This is it's own animal.

Finally some ones get's it.

i feel like people are forgetting this is an opera.

the sum is greater then it's parts.

Mick

The more I listen the more I like. If you want a standard DT record throw it out now.
  • Like 1

After another listen...oh my God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@!!!

It still sucks!

booooo go back to images........hiss........

:D ;)

Mick

• Like 2

Then throw it out. You don't like it, listen to something else.

I appreciate the accomplishment and I am enjoying it a lot.

• Like 2