Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

James loves his vibrato but to my ears it's always been warbly and quavery. All these sighing songs are highlighting his weaknesses.

Do you like his highest notes?

He seems to be singing lower on this one for the most part.

I appreciate it. I don't care if its light. Its an artistic statement and I'm a homer so...

Its going to be interesting live.

It's a bit repetitive though in style.

I like it

I appreciate it. I don't care if its light. Its an artistic statement and I'm a homer so...

Its going to be interesting live.

Homer?

Meaning bias for the home team.

• Like 1

I think there's just too many songs that start off with a piano intro.

Richard Clayderman would be proud.

I think this album might surprise me one day and stand out as a favourite. I find odd moments quite interesting, Act Of Faythe is one.

Either way, I am going to keep spinning it. I remember being turned off by Awake and Scenes for a little while.

I think they created art. Like it or not, its original and ambitious. I find the album very interesting in a good way and I give it a thumbs up.
  • Like 1

Like I had said on my post.....I am going to give this at least two more full attention listens. It's a challenging record. And I like putting in some effort with art. Sometimes the payoff is well worth the effort. DT has been that type of band for me. I am a fan (a pretty big fan but not on the same level as say Rush or Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson who are my two absolute fav's) but not a super fan. They have flaws and warts and plenty of misses and whole albums I flat out ignore for the most part.

This is a lofty and ambitious project. It deserves the effort to listen to it a few times, discovery is sometimes a journey with music. So I am giving it a real chance. But first impressions were not good. I have not had that feeling since Systematic Chaos (an album I rarely listen too if ever save for a couple of tunes).

Anyway...I will give a detailed review once I digest all of it. This feels like the first time I tried sushi. I know it's probably good.....if I keep eating I will develop a taste for it (I love sushi BTW LOL). But my first time was meh.

To be continued......

• Like 1