Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

Aside from burying the bass, I agree: good production. Petrucci's guitar is Cristo, and the drums have mildly improved from the previous album.

Track 10/34 is done. I'm picking up my daughter in school now, and will resume my listen later on the treadmill.

Which trainers are you going to use?

Nomacs...I mean, Asics, sorry!

Aside from burying the bass, I agree: good production. Petrucci's guitar is Cristo, and the drums have mildly improved from the previous album.

Track 10/34 is done. I'm picking up my daughter in school now, and will resume my listen later on the treadmill.

Which trainers are you going to use?

Nomacs...I mean, Asics, sorry!

:16ton:

After a fairly decent start the album seems to be losing it's way with too many whiny ballads. They used to just have one or two of these on a 75 minute album. On here there's about 4 already and 2 others are instrumentals and 1 intro. Edited by treeduck

Oh dear this is all going wrong. Where's the metal? Where's the tight kick ass tunes?? Where's the BALLS?

James loves gently sighing into the microphone, so he decided to do it on every song! :wacko:

Yeeeaaaaah...

This album is Kilroy Was Here parading as Operation: Mindcrime.

One full listen in.

I can't form a rationale opinion without digging into the lyrics and slipping on my headphones and giving it a true un-interrupted spin front to back.

But I will say this after one full listen.......

Nothing, absolutely nothing stood out to me as a "wow" song. Absolutely nothing.

That has never happened on any album of theirs before.

Color me concerned. And if after giving it a full listen again, with my headphones and some organic refreshments I still feel this way, my ultra limited edition box set is going on EBAY when I receive the entire package.

I was very hyped up for this release. And my initial listen was highly under whelming. I am kinda shocked about it right now. Because even though I know their stuff always takes time for me to digest, I always have one to 2 tunes on that first listen that I am pumping my head and rocking out and saying " yeah that is a kick ass song".

Time will tell. But it's not promising. It is sounding like a massive flop to my ears after one listen.

Massive.

I've gotta agree with you. But truth be told, I only barely made it through disc 1. It was just so "blah" to me - like a bunch of DT cliches (some very predictable fills and half time transitions!) I just can't take the syrupy ballads - even as short as they are. I'm an old-school DT fan (first show in 92; met them several times; they lost me somewhere around 6DoIT - but I really liked the last self-titled disc) This one is very underwhelming and I think the format really hurts it. Just too much "meh" and not a single stand-alone kick-ass song. I'm a prog fan too - thought I would enjoy this approach. But it ends up like a film with no character development; at least none I got attached to... So far - no bueno!

• Like 2

Replaying disc one. It does start off really well. After that, smh

One of the biggest flaws this album has is the very last track.

After two million hours, it ends in a big anticlimax! It just...stops. It should have ended with an overture.

James loves his vibrato but to my ears it's always been warbly and quavery. All these sighing songs are highlighting his weaknesses.

Do you like his highest notes?

If I was going to do a review of this album it would be one line: Thank God For Megadeth.

Like x1000

• Like 1

I appreciate it. I don't care if its light. Its an artistic statement and I'm a homer so...

Its going to be interesting live.

I really like A Better Life in the heavier moments. Edited by Segue Myles

I appreciate it. I don't care if its light. Its an artistic statement and I'm a homer so...

Its going to be interesting live.

Homer?