KI$$: Music of the Elder

JohnRogers

Music of the Elder   

8 members have voted

1. 1. Music from the Elder, is the album worth listening to?

• Yes, it Rush, Floyd and Yes good.
    • Yeah, it’s aurite.
    • No, it’s KI$$.

I was finishing cannoli while sipping coffee. I had started some article from Louder Sound about Music from the Elder. The narrative is the album wasn’t hot garbage. Before I could get deep into it the article crashed and kept crashing. 

Worth a listen? 

Edited by JohnRogers
  • Like 1

Before I can answer, how into KISS am I? If I'm already a fan, yeah, it's aurite. If I'm KISS-curious, no, stay away. Under no conditions is it Rush/Floyd/Yes good . . .

"I" is a great track, though . . .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

I was finishing cannoli while sipping coffee. I had started some article from Louder Sound about Music from the Elder. The narrative is the album wasn’t hot garbage. Before I could get deep into it the article crashed and kept crashing. 

Worth a listen? 

How do you feel about your post now Jackie?

• Haha 1

I remember reading an article about this album, about how it was so maligned but the author had some praise and said its a shame it wasn't a hit as it could have started a really interesting era in their sound.

I'm no Kiss fan, but i played this a few times as a result of reading about it, and found it quite charming. No classic, but definitely not the disaster people make it out to be 

I wouldn't rank it alongside 2112 or Moving Pictures, but I'd rank it around the same category of goodness as Counterparts or Snakes And Arrows.

• Like 2

It has it’s moments. It was definitely a highly ambitious project from a band like Kiss. 

It was not hot garbage. 

C+ would be my grade on it. 

• Like 1

Produced by Bob Ezrin, with Lou Reed on three songs, it has been my first Kiss new album in 1981 (I bought Unmasked and Destroyer one year before, then almost all the others).

In my opinion, the very good songs are I, Dark light, The Oath, A world without heroes. The real turds are Mr Blackwell and maybe Odyssey.

You need to listen to this album, in my opinion.

• Like 1

I like it quite a bit. I'm a moderate fan of the band, probably own about 15 or so of their albums. Better than an average KISS album and much better than that steaming pile released before The Elder (Unmasked). I think it stands alone among KISS albums, not like Unmasked or the following album Creatures of the Night. A little pretentious perhaps but I'm fine with that sort of thing

Not a bad track on the record imo - which is rather unique for KISS records, as many of them have 1 or 2 killer tunes and a whole lot of pedestrian tracks

Mr. Blackwell is no great shakes but even that tune is not so bad

15 minutes ago, GeddyLeeRoth said:

I dig The Elder. I rank it somewhere around 10 in a KISS album ranking .

Your post got me curious about what others rank in the KISS top ten.  Rolling Stone doesn't include the Elder.  They call it a "concept album misfire".  Alive and Alive II made it, and the debut took #1.  Loudwire has Elder at #21, Destroyer at #2 and the debut at #1.  ClassicRock.com has it at #21 as well, with Destroyer at #1 and  the debut at #3.  Creatures of the Night is a surprise at #2.

I may to give Elder a listen to see where it fits. :cheers:

I saw that ranking. Creatures is vastly overrated as it is by many critics.  IMO, It's the weakest of their 4-album 'metal' run: Creatures, Lick It Up, Animalize and Asylum. I like the direction they went in, but the songs are forgettable aside from the title track, I Love It Loud and War Machine. I would easily have it closer to the bottom of a KISS ranking. 

Edited by GeddyLeeRoth
  • Like 1