New Foo Fighters album this June.

44 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

this is my big problem with FF.  It just sounds like an assembly line machine

press on button..........hit hit hit hit.  there all very sterile in how they present the music.  not that the music's not catchy it nearly always is. but it's like they just toss out these things with so little passion.  That's probably not how they work but it's how it comes off.

Mick

...but to be fair...we do enjoy a lot of sterile factory pressed AOR, it's hard to really complain about Foooooooos 

(But I getcha)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

this is my big problem with FF.  It just sounds like an assembly line machine

press on button..........hit hit hit hit.  there all very sterile in how they present the music.  not that the music's not catchy it nearly always is. but it's like they just toss out these things with so little passion.  That's probably not how they work but it's how it comes off.

Mick

Do you think Dave lacks passion or emotion in his vocals? I sure don't think so.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Do you think Dave lacks passion or emotion in his vocals? I sure don't think so.

Agreed. In fact working my way through this discography, I'm actually thinking the world at large underrated his abilities. He has an exceptional voice and its very emotionally charged. And I love his screams, he has a very versatile range.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

What a eulogy.

wow.

It's just breathtaking. I broke down the last two songs three listens in a row.

It evoked all the emotions I felt losing my mum.

Foo Fighters...this album is a gift I'm just sorry they had to go through this to make it.

• Like 2

On 6/4/2023 at 12:36 AM, J2112YYZ said:

No it's not the vocals, but the music. It seemed scripted, sound by numbers after TCaTS. Not on the this new record tho. Take for instance The Teacher. Dave hardly breaks a sweat with a dead pan vocal delivery for the most part. But for me the meandering nature of the song, the lyrics, make it one of the most compelling songs they've done for a while. It almost sounds delivered in defeat, while also not caring where it goes in it's expression. Other songs have a similar vibe. Never got this on their records between this one and TCATS. 

Does the loss of Taylor and the public connections to this album play a role in how it's being received?  Like how we felt about Rush when Vapor Trails was released?

I ask because there's a fair amount of hype with this release around Taylor's ghost, for lack of better way of describing it, presiding over the reception of the songs.  I wonder then if they would be thought of/interpreted/cared for in the same way by the listeners if Taylor was still the drummer and the same album got released, or if would be panned as something 'sorrowful' and unwelcome by Foo fans.  I'm not sure that acknowledging this is important or not, but as someone not very invested in the band I'm not sure I'll be listening with the same ear as a 'true fan' and getting what they might from the songs.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, stoopid said:

Does the loss of Taylor and the public connections to this album play a role in how it's being received?  Like how we felt about Rush when Vapor Trails was released?

I ask because there's a fair amount of hype with this release around Taylor's ghost, for lack of better way of describing it, presiding over the reception of the songs.  I wonder then if they would be thought of/interpreted/cared for in the same way by the listeners if Taylor was still the drummer and the same album got released, or if would be panned as something 'sorrowful' and unwelcome by Foo fans.

They wouldn't have released an album like this lyrically if Taylor was still alive. Most of the songs are about dealing with his death. The songs would be about completely different things. So there's really no way to answer what you're asking.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stoopid said:

I ask because there's a fair amount of hype with this release around Taylor's ghost, for lack of better way of describing it, presiding over the reception of the songs.  I wonder then if they would be thought of/interpreted/cared for in the same way by the listeners if Taylor was still the drummer and the same album got released, or if would be panned as something 'sorrowful' and unwelcome by Foo fans.  I'm not sure that acknowledging this is important or not, but as someone not very invested in the band I'm not sure I'll be listening with the same ear as a 'true fan' and getting what they might from the songs.

yes but not TOTALLY but i think it plays a definite role.  it always does when someone dies. "cough" Cobain" Cough" solo john lennon cough"

Mick

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, stoopid said:

Or does the emotional turbulence that the creator has been through, make a difference on how the music is projected?

I'd like to think the truth is somewhere between. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

They wouldn't have released an album like this lyrically if Taylor was still alive. Most of the songs are about dealing with his death. The songs would be about completely different things. So there's really no way to answer what you're asking.

My entire posit rests on something unreal (aka Taylor being alive), but that's the point of thought experiments.  The "what if".  You're not required to answer/think about it, just something that occurred to me.

1 hour ago, condemned2bfree said:

Or does the emotional turbulence that the creator has been through, make a difference on how the music is projected?

I'd like to think the truth is somewhere between. 

Probably in-between.  Life imitating art, and more importantly vice versa.  I had a strong hunch that a lot of the reviews and posts I've been reading in response to the new album were from the place of fans grieving together, versus objective interpretation / enjoyment / criticism of the actual material.  I'll be entering this (at some point soon, waiting for a copy when it's discounted maybe through amazon) with a fairly open mind.  I'm not in a vacuum regarding the band, especially since they were such vocal advocates for Rush and their R&R nomination, etc.  I've even seen the studio documentary Grohl put together a few years back.  I'd say I'm a fringe fan, but I didn't cry or anything when I heard the news.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

For what it’s worth, Dave’s mother passed away last August as well, so this album still might have wound up very grief stricken lyrically for her. But with Taylor’s passing on top there was no doubt it would be that way. As far as how this album would be received if Taylor (and for the sake of argument, Virginia too) we’re still alive, I do think a strong contingent of fans would praise it as a return to form after the very divisive Medicine At Midnight (which Mick and I at least love) and the general mode of stylistic experimentation over the 2010s (aside from Wasting Light, which was very straightforward if a bit extra heavy). However there’s no doubt that Taylor’s passing does have a strong effect on the perception of the record, just as it had a strong effect on the creation of it. 

• Like 4

On 6/6/2023 at 7:37 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

For what it’s worth, Dave’s mother passed away last August as well, so this album still might have wound up very grief stricken lyrically for her. But with Taylor’s passing on top there was no doubt it would be that way. As far as how this album would be received if Taylor (and for the sake of argument, Virginia too) we’re still alive, I do think a strong contingent of fans would praise it as a return to form after the very divisive Medicine At Midnight (which Mick and I at least love) and the general mode of stylistic experimentation over the 2010s (aside from Wasting Light, which was very straightforward if a bit extra heavy). However there’s no doubt that Taylor’s passing does have a strong effect on the perception of the record, just as it had a strong effect on the creation of it. 

Now that I know Dave's mother died I'm able to tell which songs are about that. The Teacher and Show Me How are definitely about his mom. 

• Like 1

Since this album came out I have had nothing but an endless stream of various songs from it going through my head. No matter what else I listen to, these songs keep getting stuck in my head. It's very sad what happened in order for this album to be created. But tragedy can lead songwriters to create some of their best work and that's exactly what happened here. 10/10 flawless album.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

On 6/12/2023 at 5:22 AM, J2112YYZ said:

Since this album came out I have had nothing but an endless stream of various songs from it going through my head. No matter what else I listen to, these songs keep getting stuck in my head. It's very sad what happened in order for this album to be created. But tragedy can lead songwriters to create some of their best work and that's exactly what happened here. 10/10 flawless album.

I feel the same way. I praise the album endlessly, but it feels mean to say "this is so much deeper than the last two".

I think it obvious to say, they likely would prefer to have had more enjoyable circumstances to write more fun music.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I feel the same way. I praise the album endlessly, but it feels mean to say "this is so much deeper than the last two".

I think it obvious to say, they likely would prefer to have had more enjoyable circumstances to write more fun music.

And they had been on a major hot streak of having fun before everything. Medicine At Midnight, the Dee Gees record, and the parody horror movie and tie in metal soundtrack. They had been having a blast.

17 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

And they had been on a major hot streak of having fun before everything. Medicine At Midnight, the Dee Gees record, and the parody horror movie and tie in metal soundtrack. They had been having a blast.

Exactly. I didn't really like any of that...but I would never say "thank god the new album brought me back" because ouch...

• Like 1

I'm not usually much for noticing sonic issues but this one seems pretty bad in that area. On some of the songs I'm hearing what I think are cymbals but they barely register and the bass seems muddy or muted. Anyone else notice this or other sound problems?

5 hours ago, BastillePark said:

I'm not usually much for noticing sonic issues but this one seems pretty bad in that area. On some of the songs I'm hearing what I think are cymbals but they barely register and the bass seems muddy or muted. Anyone else notice this or other sound problems?

I think at this point we are so used to modern music sounding bad, it takes posts like this to realise that that's a shame.

On 6/22/2023 at 10:16 PM, BastillePark said:

yea i just listened to this today.  the production is modern and it is terrible.

Even at a low volume i can hear clipping and the drums have that modern sound.  like someone's just hitting a bucket of mashed potatoes.

It's just a modern production where no instrument breathes and no one involved seems to care

Mick

20 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

yea i just listened to this today.  the production is modern and it is terrible.

Even at a low volume i can hear clipping and the drums have that modern sound.  like someone's just hitting a bucket of mashed potatoes.

It's just a modern production where no instrument breathes and no one involved seems to care

Mick

Greg Kurstin is guilty of this everywhere. He thinks clipped/overly-reverbed mixing sounds good. The fantastic Concrete and Gold album has this problem too.

• Like 1