What pissed you off today? v.2

Mara

Not pissed off so much as concerned.

Bubba's Bar and Grill (the forum)is temporarily closed due to a malfunction

with the board. Lost a year's worth of posts. I can't fix it because I'm not

a tech.

I hope someone backed it up!

Is it back up yet..? :hug2:

Someone stole all of our copies of Time Magazine - 6 months worth - took the box and everything. Very nice. Way to go patrons. The person who dares to return them is in for a rude awakening...

I hate to sound like Mike Brady, but if you steal from a library, you are only stealing from yourself! :codger:

Evil-minded so-and-so's..! :rage:

• Like 1

Someone stole all of our copies of Time Magazine - 6 months worth - took the box and everything. Very nice. Way to go patrons. The person who dares to return them is in for a rude awakening...

I hate to sound like Mike Brady, but if you steal from a library, you are only stealing from yourself! :codger:

:rfl:

:rfl:

What..?! :P

I'm mad about the headache I woke up with today. Honestly, this is a very, very rare thing; I don't get them very much as a rule. I didn't even know what a headache felt like until I was about 25 years old.

But anyway...being mad about it doesn't help it get any better. I know, I know...

I'm mad about the headache I woke up with today. Honestly, this is a very, very rare thing; I don't get them very much as a rule. I didn't even know what a headache felt like until I was about 25 years old.

But anyway...being mad about it doesn't help it get any better. I know, I know...

:hug2: ..?

Awww, shucks...thanks for that. :)

I'm not pissed off about anything today, so I'll be exiting this thread for now!

Racism. It isn't the first time I've dealt with it here or back in the states. But it's never been so biting and never from so many different members of a gf's family (directed towards her and me and everything that entails). I feel so sorry for her because she's caught in the middle and has never had to deal with racism before. Japan has a pathetically long way to go in their regard towards foreigners (especially foreigners of Asian descent).

Racism. It isn't the first time I've dealt with it here or back in the states. But it's never been so biting and never from so many different members of a gf's family (directed towards her and me and everything that entails). I feel so sorry for her because she's caught in the middle and has never had to deal with racism before. Japan has a pathetically long way to go in their regard towards foreigners (especially foreigners of Asian descent).

Thank you babycat :)

Thank you babycat :)

You're welcome, JB. :)

I think that some of the rascism is sincere curiosity, you know?

I know many people who have lived in Japan for 20 years, and they're still the Gaijin. But they just deal with it.

They'll get some old geezer who will be like "Why are you married to this foreigner?". And they just ignore it.

That said, are you of Asian decent? (It seemed that you implied it.) Koreans especially seem to have it hard.

But all generally do, due to Japan's seemingly endless "We're secretly the best race on earth lololol" silent tangent that goes on there.

Oh well, they're still genuinely good people, even if their racism comes up.

Also, a glass cup shattered on my foot today. Went all the way through, but it was only 4cm in length, and i pulled the entire shard out. Killed my mood, pre-rush, but I just wrapped my foot up, and went to the concert. Not going to the doctor for it, as it went between the bone and tendons. Still, it f***ing hurts. Aching and tender.

Edited by D3strukt

I know many people who have lived in Japan for 20 years, and they're still the Gaijin. But they just deal with it.

They'll get some old geezer who will be like "Why are you married to this foreigner?". And they just ignore it.

That said, are you of Asian decent? (It seemed that you implied it.) Koreans especially seem to have it hard.

But all generally do, due to Japan's seemingly endless "We're secretly the best race on earth lololol" silent tangent that goes on there.

Also, a glass cup shattered on my foot today. Went all the way through, but it was only 4cm in length, and i pulled the entire shard out. Killed my mood, pre-rush, but I just wrapped my foot up, and went to the concert. Not going to the doctor for it, as it went between the bone and tendons. Still, it f***ing hurts. Aching and tender.

Owww!! :scared: :hug2:

No, racism doesn't come from 'sincere curiosity'. It comes from ignorance and lack of experiences. If any Asian race has it the worst in Japan it'd DEFINITELY have to be the Chinese. Yesterday this one woman I know was talking about the wedding she attended recently..she didn't like the bride (who was Japanese) because 'she looks Chinese'. When I asked about that she commented about the bride's narrow eyes and skin color. Obviously that's not 'sincere curiosity', but rather, blatant racism. And I'd say that's a mild example of the prejudice/racism here. I could go on forever with a million different examples.

But the main thing that pissed me off yesterday was my gf's sister who said she would cut all ties with her if she married a foreigner. I've never even met her and in all likelihood I never will simply because I'm not Japanese. That's not a 'genuinely good person whose racism comes up'. That's just a genuinely racist person.

Oh, I was born and raised in the states but my parents are from the Philippines.

No, racism doesn't come from 'sincere curiosity'. It comes from ignorance and lack of experiences. If any Asian race has it the worst in Japan it'd DEFINITELY have to be the Chinese. Yesterday this one woman I know was talking about the wedding she attended recently..she didn't like the bride (who was Japanese) because 'she looks Chinese'. When I asked about that she commented about the bride's narrow eyes and skin color. Obviously that's not 'sincere curiosity', but rather, blatant racism. And I'd say that's a mild example of the prejudice/racism here. I could go on forever with a million different examples.

But the main thing that pissed me off yesterday was my gf's sister who said she would cut all ties with her if she married a foreigner. I've never even met her and in all likelihood I never will simply because I'm not Japanese. That's not a 'genuinely good person whose racism comes up'. That's just a genuinely racist person.

Oh, I was born and raised in the states but my parents are from the Philippines.

Ahhhh, I see. She must have a very conservative family. Is she herself conservative? That seems like it's a one way battle up a long salmon stream man.... My guess is ignore the sister. If the rest of the family is okay with your relationship, then she doesn't really have much pull.

Also, that's exactly what I was saying. Curiosity = Ignorance/Lack of Experience.

Everytime I go to Japan, and bust out in Japanese, it's always "すごい!! あなたにほんご話す??" and i'm just like. "ああ、そうです。。。ありがとうございました"

The majority of them come up to me, and start talking in English, and I have to go "No, it's okay, I can speak Japanese." Note, that these are mostly from women. Which, I don't mind. But it's easier to understand their Japanese, than their English, you know?

They cannot fathom, that people outside their culture is willing to learn their customs, and language, and if you speak like a native, forget it, they seem to think you're intruding (that last one applies to my friends over there.)

I kind of like the status quo, but I have a feeling, once I move there, that will get old, quick.

The Japanese that I know, they all agree that American and Canadian (as well as Noridic) nationalities have it the easiest, racially. They themselves are liberal, for example, one of my friends is about to marry an American (she's actually really nice. translates for him when i'm talking too fast, haha!) But they all agree that the consensus is that racism will take years, and years to be fully expunged from their society.

They DO believe that it will be almost entirely gone, by the time our generation (well, mine.) becomes old, as more and more Japanese are open to dating foreigners and marriage.

I hope it works out between your GF and you! :)

Ahhhh, I see. She must have a very conservative family. Is she herself conservative? That seems like it's a one way battle up a long salmon stream man.... My guess is ignore the sister. If the rest of the family is okay with your relationship, then she doesn't really have much pull.

Also, that's exactly what I was saying. Curiosity = Ignorance/Lack of Experience.

Everytime I go to Japan, and bust out in Japanese, it's always "すごい!! あなたにほんご話す??" and i'm just like. "ああ、そうです。。。ありがとうございました"

The majority of them come up to me, and start talking in English, and I have to go "No, it's okay, I can speak Japanese." Note, that these are mostly from women. Which, I don't mind. But it's easier to understand their Japanese, than their English, you know?

They cannot fathom, that people outside their culture is willing to learn their customs, and language, and if you speak like a native, forget it, they seem to think you're intruding (that last one applies to my friends over there.)

I kind of like the status quo, but I have a feeling, once I move there, that will get old, quick.

The Japanese that I know, they all agree that American and Canadian (as well as Noridic) nationalities have it the easiest, racially. They themselves are liberal, for example, one of my friends is about to marry an American (she's actually really nice. translates for him when i'm talking too fast, haha!) But they all agree that the consensus is that racism will take years, and years to be fully expunged from their society.

They DO believe that it will be almost entirely gone, by the time our generation (well, mine.) becomes old, as more and more Japanese are open to dating foreigners and marriage.

I hope it works out between your GF and you! :)

Thanks.

To answer some of your questions:

- Yeah, the gf is pretty conservative.

- The father doesn't really approve of us. The mother doesn't really either (though she's more in the area of apathy). The sister is the worst. Yeah I can ignore her but I felt sorry for the gf more than anything else because she was hurt so badly. The gf's aunt is the only one that's supportive and has said to do what you like and what makes you happy. Having said that, I do believe that the aunt is NOT the typical obachan.

I have to disagree about racism being nearly gone in 30-40 years. For one thing, the foreign population here is less now than when I moved here. It's around 1.2% I think. And a large chunk of that percentage live in Tokyo. Those kinds of numbers can't help. And think about this: I've known a handful of Chinese over the years here...all of them (except 1) took on Japanese names regardless of being single or married because they didn't want to face possible racism if someone found out they were actually Chinese. It's not something they wanted, it was something they felt was necessary. Here's another example: Let's say 2 unrelated Korean kids move to Japan when they're babies. They grow up entirely in Japan, speak only Japanese, go to Tokyo University, graduate, and get jobs. Then, those 2 meet, get married and have kids. After all that life in Japan (the only country they've ever known) they OR their kids STILL wouldn't be considered Japanese! I forgot how it works but there's actually some f*cked up formula to determine if someone is Japanese. And it's heavily connected to having a Japanese bloodline.

The bullshit like 'Oh wow you can use chopsticks', 'Oh wow you can speak Japanese', 'Oh you can eat soba', etc. is forgettable.

Ol-what's-her-name that drug me around jewelry stores to pick out a diamond- a diamond I got a second job in college to be able to afford- then left... yeah, she just got married. And for f*cks sake, it bummed me out. So I'm pissed that I'm bummed.

Ol-what's-her-name that drug me around jewelry stores to pick out a diamond- a diamond I got a second job in college to be able to afford- then left... yeah, she just got married. And for f*cks sake, it bummed me out. So I'm pissed that I'm bummed.

Do you mean you were going to marry her but she left, then wanted you to pick out a diamond ring so she could marry someone else..? :o

If so, :hug2: ..?

Do you mean you were going to marry her but she left, then wanted you to pick out a diamond ring so she could marry someone else..? :o

No, we had the ring picked out for us. Then she left. Now she's married.

No, we had the ring picked out for us. Then she left. Now she's married.

Awww...... :hug2:

Shall I tell you all about trying (and half-failing) to clean a carpeted wall with over 25 years of TOBACCO STAINS?

Oh, and let's not forget scrubbing the drop ceiling grid work and replacing 600 sq. ft. of tiles......and then scrubbing the paneled walls....

Shall I tell you all about trying (and half-failing) to clean a carpeted wall with over 25 years of TOBACCO STAINS?

Oh, and let's not forget scrubbing the drop ceiling grid work and replacing 600 sq. ft. of tiles......and then scrubbing the paneled walls....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy1SyXuWBt8

Hey PM, forget it man, it's NOT coming out...will need to replace the carpet, tiles, curtains and the paneling!! Been there thru that mess!! Replaced the whole shebang in my old rental house as the tenants had to have been walking smokestacks! It stank to the highest heaven!!

• Like 1