Music from your parents

Laurabw

Bupkis. I don`t recall my parents ever playing music when I was growing up. I do remember finding a box of old LPs in the attic and Rubber Soul was among them, but I couldn`t make it work by running a compass point around the grooves :huh:

:lol:

Anyone else have "Sing Along with Mitch" Miller and the New Christy Minstrels lying around their house?

Waylon Jennings

Crystal Gayle

(had enough?)

You obviously did. Congratulations on avoiding indoctrination. :ebert:

Lets go to Luckenbach, Texas.

That's a song! I've been to Texas plenty of times, but never that far south. Sounds like a fun addition to a trip to Austin.

I should add my maternal grandparents were into some good stuff, especially Nat King Cole. My grandmother loved him and if he was going to be on a variety show, we were going to watch it. Period. They also had the Herb Alpert album Whipped Cream and several others of his as well as some Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, etc.
  • Like 1

I'm grateful to have parents who liked quality artists during the 70s and 80s. I've mentioned a few of these bands in this context in replies to other topics. Objectively I only appreciate some of the bands, but others I actively listen to as part of my inner circle of bands to enjoy on my own.

Heart [a band I listen to on my own today]

Fleetwood Mac [a band I listen to on my own today]

The Moody Blues

AC/DC

John Cougar Melloncamp Vaccumcleaner

Boston [a band I listen to their debut on my own today]

Alan Parsons Project

The Rolling Stones [i played the hell of of Goat's Head soup as a kid]

Duran Duran

Genesis [a band I listen to on my own today]

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

Also how could i forget. it's never popular here. but my first love is musical theatre. thanks to Grandma too grew up on a steady diet of

Rodgers and Hammerstein

Rodgers and Hart

Frank Losser

Lerner and Lowe

Andrew lloyd Webber (make fun of him......but Jesus Christ Superstar is the shit and none of you wrote it, lol)

Sondheim (RIP maestro)

Musicals were in my blood way before ANYTHING else......i'm a theatre kid first, lol

Mick

For me it was South Pacific, Paint Your Wagon, Sound of Music, King and I, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, My Fair Lady, Oliver!, then Hair and Jesus Christ Superstar.
  • Like 3

I'm grateful to have parents who liked quality artists during the 70s and 80s. I've mentioned a few of these bands in this context in replies to other topics. Objectively I only appreciate some of the bands, but others I actively listen to as part of my inner circle of bands to enjoy on my own.

Heart [a band I listen to on my own today]

Fleetwood Mac [a band I listen to on my own today]

The Moody Blues

AC/DC

John Cougar Melloncamp Vaccumcleaner

Boston [a band I listen to their debut on my own today]

Alan Parsons Project

The Rolling Stones [i played the hell of of Goat's Head soup as a kid]

Duran Duran

Genesis [a band I listen to on my own today]

I think my dad discovered Alan Parsons in the 80s and I absconded his cassettes. But we never saw him until about maybe 7 years ago.

My parents were pretty responsible for beginning my taste in music. I was listening to James Taylor and Chicago in the womb. Still love both of them. My mom was very insistent on music lessons, at least on piano at least through junior high or so. I didn't take to it right away, but once I picked up the saxophone that's when I realized how much those years of piano lessons had already done for me and how much farther I wanted to go. She also sang the first couple lines of All My Loving by The Beatles as a lullaby when I was really young. I was shocked when I discovered it was a real song by The Beatles, and that it was much faster! Meanwhile Dad would play lots of singer songwriter types in the van (James Taylor, David Wilcox, Arlo Guthrie) and play some of their stuff himself on his guitar, which I was always a little bit fascinated with but not enough to learn it for a long time. Then around 6th grade he started playing classic rock radio in the van, and this coincided with me beginning saxophone lessons and my discovery of guitar hero. Those three things worked in tandem to turn me from a not particularly musically inclined child into a rock and roll obsessed tween. I still remember learning the blues scale in one of my months of playing saxophone and realizing I had just learned the key to playing countless riffs I had heard on classic rock radio or in guitar hero. Inevitably, I think I started with Smoke On the Water, lol. Then Sunshine Of Your Love so I could use the whole scale. At that point my parents became less of a source of music and more of guides, considering I was getting into the very stuff they loved when they were that young.
  • Like 2

My parents were into stuff like Herb Alpert, Roger Williams, Brothers Four, Nana Mouskouri, Barbara Streisand. Beach Boys or Elvis was the most rock and roll they ever got. Helen Reddy the angriest, lol. One grandfather was a big Johnny Cash fan, the other Marty Robbins. Later, my sis got me into The Beatles and Tull.

ABBA and Disney music

Everything I truly love after that, I discovered myself

• Like 3

My parents really were not music people. I have memories of them disco dancing in our house, as they used to enter competitions, in the late ‘70s, but as far as their interests go, that’s all I remember. They didn’t actively impart anything to me, musically. They did have a record collection, though. A few things I remember specifically from it, that I listened to over and over again, when I was a wee little one, were Led Zeppelin II, Joni Mitchell’s Court snd Spark, and 52nd Street, by Billy Joel.

I also remember my dad had some contemporary jazz at the time- Chuck Mangione, Herb Alpert, George Benson, Al Jarreau, Earl Klugh.

All of you are aware by now that my older brother turned me on to Rush, when I was six or seven. I also got Styx and Boston from him.

And then my stepfather- early Jimmy Buffett records, Beatles/Stones, and then the blues, from Robert Johnson to Elmore James to the Allman Brothers.

• Like 3

I am (im)patiently awaiting a delivery of a used vinyl copy of 52nd Street. One of my faves of his.

And @Segue Myles - DIsney music!!

• Like 4

I am (im)patiently awaiting a delivery of a used vinyl copy of 52nd Street. One of my faves of his.

To my five year-old ears, Big Shot was like the heaviest thing I had ever heard in my life (a distinction which was overtaken by Overture/Temples of Syrinx, about a year and a half later. But I digress)…I would jump around on the furniture and get all out of breath singing/yelling along.

Never mind that I had no clue what a Halston dress was…or who Elaine was…or any of that.

• Like 1