Dream Theater: Albums Elimination (Round 1)

_hi_water._

14 members have voted

1. 1. Immune (Pick Up To TWO):

• When Dream And Day Unite (1989)
    • Images And Words (1992)
    • Awake (1994)
    • Falling Into Infinity (1997)
    • Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory (1999)
    • Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (2002)
    • Train Of Thought (2003)
    • Octavarium (2005)
    • Systematic Chaos (2007)
    • Black Clouds & Silver Linings (2009)
    • A Dramatic Turn Of Events (2011)
    • Dream Theater (2013)
    • The Astonishing (2016)
    • Distance Over Time (2019)
    • A View From The Top Of The World (2021)
  2. 2. Eliminate (Pick Up To TWO):

• When Dream And Day Unite (1989)
    • Images And Words (1992)
    • Awake (1994)
    • Falling Into Infinity (1997)
    • Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory (1999)
    • Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (2002)
    • Train Of Thought (2003)
    • Octavarium (2005)
    • Systematic Chaos (2007)
    • Black Clouds & Silver Linings (2009)
    • A Dramatic Turn Of Events (2011)
    • Dream Theater (2013)
    • The Astonishing (2016)
    • Distance Over Time (2019)
    • A View From The Top Of The World (2021)

Up next:

Journey

Triumph

Heart

UFO

Jethro Tull will be later, as they are releasing a new album soon.

PLEASE, MAKE SUGGESTIONS OF WHO WE SHOULD DO NEXT IN THE THREAD BELOW:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/113349-whos-next-for-album-eliminations/

Album winners so far:

The Beatles - Revolver (1966)

Black Sabbath - Master Of Reality (1971)

David Bowie - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars (1972)

Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties (1974)

Deep Purple - Machine Head (1972)

Def Leppard - Pyromania (1983)

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery (1973)

Genesis - Selling England By The Pound (1973)

Iron Maiden - Powerslave (1984)

Judas Priest - Stained Class (1978)

Kansas - Leftoverture (1976)

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV (1971)

Ozzy Osbourne - Diary Of A Madman (1981)

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon (1973)

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack (1974)

Rush - Moving Pictures (1981)

Van Halen - Fair Warning (1981)

The Who - Who’s Next (1971)

Yes - Close To The Edge (1972)

Can I vote to eliminate all of these, and immunize none of them? :)

Go away

Can I vote to eliminate all of these, and immunize none of them? :)

This is how I feel regarding U2

They weren't for me until The Joshua Tree. They lost me again after Atomic Bomb.

Dream Theater though. Man.

NLOTH is where they lost me. 1st 4 songs are good but it's downhill after that. They pulled a Coldplay/Maroon 5 by doing EDM pop crap. Figures since they've had that One Republic singer producing some of their recent songs.

TJT is number 3 for me. Achtung and War are tops for me.

Edited by invisible airwave

Images and Words is a top-five desert island album for me. It's one of the albums that got me into prog rock, and was a first step into the wider world of prog after I fell in love with Rush. It is very nearly a perfect album.

When Dream and Day Unite is an incredibly underrated album. And it's easily better than the last three albums Dream Theater has released. It deserves protection.

The Astonishing is probably my least favorite Dream Theater album, and I believe it most represents the lack of cohesion and taste that bad plagued the post-Portnoy era. A View From the Top of the World (as well as Distance Over Time) are guilty of the same missteps.

Images and Words is a top-five desert island album for me. It's one of the albums that got me into prog rock, and was a first step into the wider world of prog after I fell in love with Rush. It is very nearly a perfect album.

When Dream and Day Unite is an incredibly underrated album. And it's easily better than the last three albums Dream Theater has released. It deserves protection.

The Astonishing is probably my least favorite Dream Theater album, and I believe it most represents the lack of cohesion and taste that bad plagued the post-Portnoy era. A View From the Top of the World (as well as Distance Over Time) are guilty of the same missteps.

Distance Over Time is a modern metal masterpiece!

• Like 2

Distance Over Time is a modern metal masterpiece!

Lately I'm so conflicted on my taste in Dream Theatre that I even had trouble choosing to eliminate The Astonishing. That said, DoT is indeed masterful!

Oddly enough Images isn't one of my favorites. I think it would be if I could get past the dated production. Way too drenched in 80s reverb. I find myself preferring Awake.

I disagree on the post-Portnoy albums except for the self-titled. That one apart from Illumination Theory and Enemy Inside just feels a little uninspired. The latest two I felt they figured out how to make something decent again.

Edited by The Analog Cub

The Dominici album, like parts of Images, has too much cheese, and The Astonishing is a freaking Disney soundtrack by Petrucci/Rudess. Voting these out now and then planning on sending FII and Systematic Chaos next.

Dominici wasn't the best singer but there is some really good stuff on the first album. Fortune In Lies, The Killing Hand, The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun and It's Only A Matter Of Time are all strong. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Gawd - I luv DT but I lost track with the last few albums. I just can't keep up with the discography of some of these bands. Do you all have large (wo)man caves to store all the Lps/cds/tapes etc (presuming we're not in the digital age only seeing that's more for the modern youth.....)!

Have a soft spot for Falling into Infinity alongside the early big ones like Images, Awake and Scenes. Octavarium and Six degrees are fun too. But I lost the plot a bit after that...

Edited by Malignant Narcissist