Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

Yesterday I listened to AC/DC Let There Be Rock - The Movie: Live in Paris and AC/DC Live. The Johnson era is better.

It might be better, but the Bon era is foundational to the history of rock and roll. TNT and Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap have probably been played by every one who’s ever wanted to rock within the first few weeks of picking up a guitar.

You can make a good argument that all AC/DC is important to rock history (and, in fact, there's a really fun book entitled, "Why AC/DC Matters," that does just that). Back in Black is one of the most important hard rock albums of all time. It sold around 50 million copies because it's one of "those," albums.

I love the Bon Scott era. But I find interesting not only the "love," people have for that era (which I share), but more importantly how much of it is directed at the least well-known album from it.

To make things very fair here: I haven’t heard most of their albums. Not that I don’t want to, they’re just one of those bands that I’ve never gotten really familiar with the catalogue. The only three I know front to back are Let There Be Rock (my favorite of these three and probably the one you were talking about being their least well known), Highway To Hell, and the ubiquitous Back In Black. To me, Back In Black is a perfect album on paper, but some of the songs just don’t do it for me: Let Me Put My Love Into You and Shake A Leg in particular. Those two just strike me as far lesser tunes than the least great songs from those other two albums, so I always think of Back In Black as a mountain of hits with a side of B tier album cuts. I don’t dislike them, but they just don’t have the panache (am I using this word right?) that Walk All Over You or Overdose have in spades.

Anyway my actual point is to me, so far in my life, AC/DC has been a singles band, and they have absolutely incredible foundational singles, but none more Rock And Roll 101 than that early Bon stuff, when they sounded like they still only knew how to play power chords. Obviously they were always very skilled musicians, but there’s a shred of extra cool factor to me for that really early stuff that they cut their teeth on, because it sounds in some ways like anyone could pick up a guitar and write it, and that’s the thrill of AC/DC to me. They’re the kind of band that makes you want to pick up a guitar and start your own, even if you suck! They’re totally rock and roll and all about the charisma and energy and empowerment that it gives. By Back In Black, the songs get a little more refined and the riffs get a little less chunky. They’ve got more complex voicings and more ambitious arrangements and melodies. Of course it’s their breakout moment, because they sound like gods! But there’s a sliver of separation from that “anyone can do this” message of the early songs, and that’s what makes it a bit less exciting for me.

I know, very antithetical to my usual prog snob tendencies: “I liked them better when they were less skilled at their instruments.” Lol. But every band is different. I certainly wouldn’t want to hear The Sex Pistols start doing rock operas… I think.

• Like 1

1644635979[/url'>' post='4991268']
1644516084' post='4990754']
1644469380[/url'>' post='4990636']
1644458961' post='4990609']

Yesterday I listened to AC/DC Let There Be Rock - The Movie: Live in Paris and AC/DC Live. The Johnson era is better.

It might be better, but the Bon era is foundational to the history of rock and roll. TNT and Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap have probably been played by every one who’s ever wanted to rock within the first few weeks of picking up a guitar.

You can make a good argument that all AC/DC is important to rock history (and, in fact, there's a really fun book entitled, "Why AC/DC Matters," that does just that). Back in Black is one of the most important hard rock albums of all time. It sold around 50 million copies because it's one of "those," albums.

I love the Bon Scott era. But I find interesting not only the "love," people have for that era (which I share), but more importantly how much of it is directed at the least well-known album from it.

To make things very fair here: I haven’t heard most of their albums. Not that I don’t want to, they’re just one of those bands that I’ve never gotten really familiar with the catalogue. The only three I know front to back are Let There Be Rock (my favorite of these three and probably the one you were talking about being their least well known), Highway To Hell, and the ubiquitous Back In Black. To me, Back In Black is a perfect album on paper, but some of the songs just don’t do it for me: Let Me Put My Love Into You and Shake A Leg in particular. Those two just strike me as far lesser tunes than the least great songs from those other two albums, so I always think of Back In Black as a mountain of hits with a side of B tier album cuts. I don’t dislike them, but they just don’t have the panache (am I using this word right?) that Walk All Over You or Overdose have in spades.

Anyway my actual point is to me, so far in my life, AC/DC has been a singles band, and they have absolutely incredible foundational singles, but none more Rock And Roll 101 than that early Bon stuff, when they sounded like they still only knew how to play power chords. Obviously they were always very skilled musicians, but there’s a shred of extra cool factor to me for that really early stuff that they cut their teeth on, because it sounds in some ways like anyone could pick up a guitar and write it, and that’s the thrill of AC/DC to me. They’re the kind of band that makes you want to pick up a guitar and start your own, even if you suck! They’re totally rock and roll and all about the charisma and energy and empowerment that it gives. By Back In Black, the songs get a little more refined and the riffs get a little less chunky. They’ve got more complex voicings and more ambitious arrangements and melodies. Of course it’s their breakout moment, because they sound like gods! But there’s a sliver of separation from that “anyone can do this” message of the early songs, and that’s what makes it a bit less exciting for me.

I know, very antithetical to my usual prog snob tendencies: “I liked them better when they were less skilled at their instruments.” Lol. But every band is different. I certainly wouldn’t want to hear The Sex Pistols start doing rock operas… I think.

That’s a unique take for a couple reasons. The first is that you view them as a “singles” band. AC/DC was one of the last big bands to license their music to Apple because they felt their albums had to be experienced as a whole. There are no actual greatest hits collections because that’s not how they marketed themselves. The second is that the Bon era, IMO, is the one that arguably has more nuance (to the extent that term could ever be applied to AC/DC). The Johnson era has nothing slow like Ride On or using exotic instruments like It’s a Long Way to the Top.

As with a lot of this stuff, I think how you came to a band with a long discography plays a big role in how you view their catalog. I turned 13 the year Back in Black came out and that was my first exposure to them. I fell in love with that album, bought the back catalog, and then followed along.

I would place the debut, Dirty Deeds and Highway to Hell above Powerage. But AC/DC has no bad albums.

• Like 2

1644635979[/url]' post='4991268']
1644516084[/url]' post='4990754']
1644469380[/url]' post='4990636']
1644458961[/url]' post='4990609']

That’s a unique take for a couple reasons. The first is that you view them as a “singles” band. AC/DC was one of the last big bands to license their music to Apple because they felt their albums had to be experienced as a whole. There are no actual greatest hits collections because that’s not how they marketed themselves. The second is that the Bon era, IMO, is the one that arguably has more nuance (to the extent that term could ever be applied to AC/DC). The Johnson era has nothing slow like Ride On or using exotic instruments like It’s a Long Way to the Top.

As with a lot of this stuff, I think how you came to a band with a long discography plays a big role in how you view their catalog. I turned 13 the year Back in Black came out and that was my first exposure to them. I fell in love with that album, bought the back catalog, and then followed along.

I would place the debut, Dirty Deeds and Highway to Hell above Powerage. But AC/DC has no bad albums.

I forgot they didn’t have a greatest hits, which I respect. To me, the introduction to their music was just constant play of their biggest songs (of which there are many) on actual radio and Pandora. They were also featured in the Iron Man or Iron Man 2 soundtrack (or both?), which brought those hits even more to my attention. I did eventually find a CD of Back In Black in my parents’ CD tower, but even though I knew it was a studio album, the track list read like a Greatest Hits and there was little there left to surprise me. I did use the opening of What Do You Do For Money as an alarm for a while, and it still kind of shocks me when I hear it to this day.

• Like 2

Fun fact, Dirty Deeds wasn't even released in the US until after Back in Black broke big. Even then it was released with a different cover and altered track list. Most people discovered the Bon era after his death, having learned of ACDC through Back in Black's incredible radio success.
  • Like 5

Fun fact, Dirty Deeds wasn't even released in the US until after Back in Black broke big. Even then it was released with a different cover and altered track list. Most people discovered the Bon era after his death, having learned of ACDC through Back in Black's incredible radio success.

And, once it was released in the US, the "real fans," decided it sucked. ;)

• Like 2

Along the same lines as my point above, I'm certain my own experience is why I think Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules are Sabbath's best albums, why I place Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman on par with the first 8 Sabbath albums, why I think the debut and Killers are as good as anything Maiden released, why I think PeW and Moving Pictures are Rush's high-water marks, why Rock in a Hard Place is a top 2 Aerosmith album to me, why I love Some Girls through Tattoo You nearly as much as the late 60s early 70s Stones, etc.
  • Like 2

And, once it was released in the US, the "real fans," decided it sucked. ;)

"What? No Jailbreak?!?

Garbage!"

:lol:

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Megadeth-Peace Sells.....(8/10)

i'm trying to understand how this band is amazing but i keep coming up with.......they're a perfectly good band, lol

NOT a put down.....but i prefer Metallica and testament.

Mick

• Like 4

i'm trying to understand how this band is amazing but i keep coming up with.......they're a perfectly good band, lol

Mick

Have you listened to Anthrax before?

• Like 2

Mick

not to much. any recommendations?

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Mick

Mick

Spreading The Disease, Among The Living and Persistence Of Time. You might like that they are a thrash band with a clean, melodic singer with a good vocal range. Their last album For All Kings is really good too.

• Like 3

Mick

Mick

Spreading The Disease, Among The Living and Persistence Of Time. You might like that they are a thrash band with a clean, melodic singer with a good vocal range. Their last album For All Kings is really good too.

I’ll second this, and add State Of Euphoria is a perfectly lovable effort from the New York thrashers as well. I’d say if you’re most inclined towards melody: STD. If you want the darker, proggier, more technical stuff: PoT and somewhat SoE. If you want the most all around satisfying band firing on all cylinders record: AtL.

• Like 1

AC/DC - For Those About To Rock

Not as many peaks as BIB, but not as deep of valleys. This feels more like a proper sequel to HtH, title track aside.

• Like 4

Mick

Mick

I’ll second this, and add State Of Euphoria is a perfectly lovable effort from the New York thrashers as well. I’d say if you’re most inclined towards melody: STD. If you want the darker, proggier, more technical stuff: PoT and somewhat SoE. If you want the most all around satisfying band firing on all cylinders record: AtL.

Yeah, listen to Euphoria as well to get the first classic run with Belladonna on vocals. In case Mick doesn't know, in 1993 Anthrax got a different singer in John Bush from Armored Saint. He was with them through We've Come For You All. Eventually Joey Belladonna returned to the band. Bush's voice is different though. He has a more aggressive style but is still very raw, emotional and melodic.

• Like 2

• The topic was locked