Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

Been a few days since I pulled anything out of the moving box but back to it today.

Bruce Springsteen & The E. Street Band - Born in the USA

I remember when this album came out and Dancing in The Dark was the first single off it.  At the time I could not understand why that was released as a single and I still can't.  I thought at the time, and still think, the title track should have been the first single.  For me that song might be a top 10 non-Rush song.  Its that good.  Many years latter when Bruce played at the Super Bowl I remember the next day lots of people saying that he should have played Born in The USA.  Why he did not is another head scratcher for me.  Not like its very long so the time limits of the half time show would not have prevented him from doing so.  My guess is that those with $ who run the NFL did not want such a song (basically a protest song) getting played.  But the country would have loved it.  He would have been playing it in 2009 -right after the crash of 2008.  It would have fit with the mood of the country.  Big missed opportunity with a great song.

Its weird in a way.  I should like Bruce more than I do.  His stuff has never caught fire with me even though he is a little left with his songs.  That should click with me - at the risk of saying something that folks won't appreciate, lets just say that I am very left wing.  Both political parties are way to right wing for me.  Weird then that 2112 would be my favorite Rush album.  So Bruce's music should appeal but mostly it does not.

The exception seems to be some of the songs on this album.  I love the title track.  Glory Days is good.  My Hometown is excellent.  Downbound Train is decent as is Working On The Highway and Darlington County.  Actually, Dwnbound Train starts out great - the first couple of verses are excellent.  Then it goes downhill.

Overall a decent album but not one I will play a lot. 

• Like 2

Roger Daltrey - Under a Raging Moon

This album has 2 songs that I really like, the title track (which is the last song on side 2) and the first song on side 1, After The Fire.  After the Fire was written by Pete Townshend and Under A Raging Moon was written by John Parr.  The drum work in the title track is very interesting as it was done by several drummers including Cozy Powell, Stewart Copland, Carl Palmer & Zak Starkey.  Just wish they had stretched out the mimi drum solo's the drummers had.  Would have made an awesome song even better.  

Other than those 2 excellent songs the rest of the album is forgettable (IMO).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Been a few days since I pulled anything out of the moving box but back to it today.

Bruce Springsteen & The E. Street Band - Born in the USA

I remember when this album came out and Dancing in The Dark was the first single off it.  At the time I could not understand why that was released as a single and I still can't.  I thought at the time, and still think, the title track should have been the first single.  For me that song might be a top 10 non-Rush song.  Its that good.  Many years latter when Bruce played at the Super Bowl I remember the next day lots of people saying that he should have played Born in The USA.  Why he did not is another head scratcher for me.  Not like its very long so the time limits of the half time show would not have prevented him from doing so.  My guess is that those with $ who run the NFL did not want such a song (basically a protest song) getting played.  But the country would have loved it.  He would have been playing it in 2009 -right after the crash of 2008.  It would have fit with the mood of the country.  Big missed opportunity with a great song.

Its weird in a way.  I should like Bruce more than I do.  His stuff has never caught fire with me even though he is a little left with his songs.  That should click with me - at the risk of saying something that folks won't appreciate, lets just say that I am very left wing.  Both political parties are way to right wing for me.  Weird then that 2112 would be my favorite Rush album.  So Bruce's music should appeal but mostly it does not.

The exception seems to be some of the songs on this album.  I love the title track.  Glory Days is good.  My Hometown is excellent.  Downbound Train is decent as is Working On The Highway and Darlington County.  Actually, Dwnbound Train starts out great - the first couple of verses are excellent.  Then it goes downhill.

Overall a decent album but not one I will play a lot. 

I can tell you exactly why Dancing In The Dark was the lead single and why it was a good choice for a single: it's proven to be perhaps Bruce's most enduringly popular song. People from my generation who don't listen to Bruce know that song, and generally like that song. It's that perfectly efficient construction, the catchiness of the synth riff, the singability of the melody, the easy to relate to lyrics, and the passion of the performance that drives it all home. It's a perfect pop song. Born In The USA, while similarly built on a bright synth riff and containing a very catchy sing along chorus, has a very repetitive quality to it due to how similar the verses sound to the chorus, not to mention there's a kind of monotony to the vocal performance because of just how distorted Bruce's voice is as he's screaming out the words. Plus if you manage to figure out what its about and you're of a certain political leaning, you're pretty likely not to like the song, which doesn't help the numbers game of trying to get as many people listening to your new album as possible. Better from a commercial standpoint to start with the love song.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I can tell you exactly why Dancing In The Dark was the lead single and why it was a good choice for a single: it's proven to be perhaps Bruce's most enduringly popular song. People from my generation who don't listen to Bruce know that song, and generally like that song. It's that perfectly efficient construction, the catchiness of the synth riff, the singability of the melody, the easy to relate to lyrics, and the passion of the performance that drives it all home. It's a perfect pop song. Born In The USA, while similarly built on a bright synth riff and containing a very catchy sing along chorus, has a very repetitive quality to it due to how similar the verses sound to the chorus, not to mention there's a kind of monotony to the vocal performance because of just how distorted Bruce's voice is as he's screaming out the words. Plus if you manage to figure out what its about and you're of a certain political leaning, you're pretty likely not to like the song, which doesn't help the numbers game of trying to get as many people listening to your new album as possible. Better from a commercial standpoint to start with the love song.

I'm not even a fan of his but if someone doesn't get why this song was the lead single then they don't understand what makes a hit song because Dancing In The Dark has everything a song could need to be huge. Also, it came out when MTV was at it's height of popularity and the song was perfect for them to rotate the video constantly. Definitely a made for MTV kind of song.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Roger Daltrey - Under a Raging Moon

This album has 2 songs that I really like, the title track (which is the last song on side 2) and the first song on side 1, After The Fire.  After the Fire was written by Pete Townshend and Under A Raging Moon was written by John Parr.  The drum work in the title track is very interesting as it was done by several drummers including Cozy Powell, Stewart Copland, Carl Palmer & Zak Starkey.  Just wish they had stretched out the mimi drum solo's the drummers had.  Would have made an awesome song even better.  

Other than those 2 excellent songs the rest of the album is forgettable (IMO).

I wore my cassette of UARM out back when I was a kid. I really liked that album. Haven't heard it in years.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Exactly!

Also, I don't like the album version of the title track. I far prefer how it was originally written, which was acoustic and in vein with his work on Nebraska. 

Not a favourite album of mine, but it's still very important.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked