Jupiter-Saturn Great Conjunction: December 21st

Principled Man

They're out there, getting closer, closer, closer..... (from our point of view, that is).... :D

Look to the southwest after sunset! You won't get another chance until 2060!

Jupiter-Saturn-degrees-separation-31a6360-e1606138755258.jpg?quality=90&resize=620%2C384

• Like 3

Ah but what about Uranus?

Mars and Uranus will have a very close encounter the third week of January. They will be much higher in the night sky than Jupiter & Saturn, but you're gonna need a telescope to see Uranus.

Pronounced /yur - ah - nuss/ or /ur - ah - nuss/ :D

• Like 3

Ah but what about Uranus?

Mars and Uranus will have a very close encounter the third week of January. They will be much higher in the night sky than Jupiter & Saturn, but you're gonna need a telescope to see Uranus.

Pronounced /yur - ah - nuss/ or /ur - ah - nuss/ :D

:rfl:
  • Like 1

No Great Conjunction-gazing for me. Stupid clouds have been here for a week now. :rage:
  • Like 1

SOLAR SYSTEM—Astronomers at NASA have fined two planets in our solar system, Saturn and Jupiter, for callously disregarding social distancing rules as their paths cross in the night sky.

"The great conjunction of these two planets in the night sky will be a thing to behold," said NASA scientist Borg Nilsenlarg. "But we highly recommend not beholding it. The science on COVID is still being worked out and we can't predict what awful consequences may follow from these two renegade celestial travelers violating social distancing guidelines."

It is currently not quite clear how a planet can actually be fined, or how a planet can spread COVID, or how a virus can survive on a hostile planetary atmosphere, or how that affects humans on Earth. These concerns were quickly put to rest, however, after Gavin Newsome looked up from his appetizer at French Laundry to yell "SCIENCE!" in a very authoritative-sounding voice.

The U.S. Government has tasked Space Force with collecting the fine from these two planets. The mission is expected to cost 3.2 Trillion dollars, which is the equivalent of about twelve $600 stimulus checks.

No Great Conjunction-gazing for me. Stupid clouds have been here for a week now. :rage:

Shoot, that's disappointing. It was the same here in PA- very cloudy. A friend in Indiana got some good pictures, just with the naked eye, and sent them to me so at least I saw it a bit.

• Like 1

We got lucky and had the clouds break, but we couldn't really see it from our yard. Mountains slightly blocking it and our city put in new street lights which are way too bright. Had to drive up to the east side of the valley to see, barely saw it. I had a view of them a few nights ago when I was out and about. Really could see Saturn's rings without binoculars. So came home and looked on YouTube, several live streams from different observatories around the country.
  • Like 2