The Van Halen Thread v.1 (with additional poll)

_hi_water._

23 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Member Of The Band?

• Alex Van Halen
    • Eddie Van Halen
    • Wolfgang Van Halen
    • Michael Anthony
    • David Lee Roth
    • Sammy Hagar
    • Gary Cherone
    • Mark Stone

Let's face it if Eddie had left the band in 1977 and gone off to study horticulture and entomology for the next 50 years, the rest of the original band would never have been heard of. And Hagar would be mostly known as the mostly forgotten guy from Montrose who was big in the 70's.

Let's say it happened. Would David, Michael, and Alex have had any success if they had a very good guitarist (but not Eddie level) with them? Would they have had similar success as Roth's band in the immediate years following his VH departure?

It depends. When Roth went solo he had the Van Halen template to build from. He just got an Eddie replacement in Steve Vai and another Eddie replacement on bass instead of a another Mike Anthony. Maybe he could have got someone else, maybe Randy Rhoads, he was around the same clubs and whatnot as Van Halen in the mid to late 70's before he joined Ozzy.

Yeah I know his solo project was built on the success of VH. But yeah, I'm saying would the Roth/Anthony/AlexVH + competent guitarist BAND have had success IF that VH debut never hit the stores?

Well I don't think any other guitarist would have had the impact of Eddie. It would just be another band most likely. Also Alex probably would have left once his brother went, I don't think he got on with Roth even in the beginning. So any new band would likely be Dave, Mike a guitarist and a drummer. Maybe they could have got George Lynch or Jake e Lee two more guitarists who were around in the late 70's, but all these guys including Randy were massively influenced by Eddie so they wouldn't sound like they did with Ozzy and Dokken, they would have played in a totally different way. So who knows whether it would have worked. Eddie disappearing into science would affect every band that emerged in the 80's, even bands like Maiden and Metallica would be very slightly different without Eddie.

Anthony liked Dave even less than the Van Halen brothers.

Really? I thought they were sorta pals.

I forget where I read it, but Anthony always calls him contemptuously "Roth," and was really against the MTV appearance in 1996. He doesn't like him.

• Like 1

Let's face it if Eddie had left the band in 1977 and gone off to study horticulture and entomology for the next 50 years, the rest of the original band would never have been heard of. And Hagar would be mostly known as the mostly forgotten guy from Montrose who was big in the 70's.

Let's say it happened. Would David, Michael, and Alex have had any success if they had a very good guitarist (but not Eddie level) with them? Would they have had similar success as Roth's band in the immediate years following his VH departure?

It depends. When Roth went solo he had the Van Halen template to build from. He just got an Eddie replacement in Steve Vai and another Eddie replacement on bass instead of a another Mike Anthony. Maybe he could have got someone else, maybe Randy Rhoads, he was around the same clubs and whatnot as Van Halen in the mid to late 70's before he joined Ozzy.

Yeah I know his solo project was built on the success of VH. But yeah, I'm saying would the Roth/Anthony/AlexVH + competent guitarist BAND have had success IF that VH debut never hit the stores?

Well I don't think any other guitarist would have had the impact of Eddie. It would just be another band most likely. Also Alex probably would have left once his brother went, I don't think he got on with Roth even in the beginning. So any new band would likely be Dave, Mike a guitarist and a drummer. Maybe they could have got George Lynch or Jake e Lee two more guitarists who were around in the late 70's, but all these guys including Randy were massively influenced by Eddie so they wouldn't sound like they did with Ozzy and Dokken, they would have played in a totally different way. So who knows whether it would have worked. Eddie disappearing into science would affect every band that emerged in the 80's, even bands like Maiden and Metallica would be very slightly different without Eddie.

I forget where I read it, but Anthony always calls him contemptuously "Roth," and was really against the MTV appearance in 1996. He doesn't like him.

That may have changed...

https://societyofrock.com/after-david-lee-roths-act-of-generosity-michael-anthony-says-that-now-is-the-time/

In the wake of the tragic passing of his 15 day old grandson, legendary bassist Michael Anthony reached out to his fans asking for kind donations to to benefit the hospital that helped treat his grandson. To everyone’s surprise, the biggest donation made was a $10,000 donation made by former bandmate and lead singer for Van Halen, David Lee Roth. [...] He states that he immediately tried to get in touch with Roth as soon as he saw the donation

• Like 2

That may have changed...

https://societyofrock.com/after-david-lee-roths-act-of-generosity-michael-anthony-says-that-now-is-the-time/

In the wake of the tragic passing of his 15 day old grandson, legendary bassist Michael Anthony reached out to his fans asking for kind donations to to benefit the hospital that helped treat his grandson. To everyone’s surprise, the biggest donation made was a $10,000 donation made by former bandmate and lead singer for Van Halen, David Lee Roth. [...] He states that he immediately tried to get in touch with Roth as soon as he saw the donation

I’d call that “burying the hatchet“ for sure.

Dave and Freddie Mercury had one thing in common - they both loved being on stage and were born to be on one.

I think Dave and his bombastic and flamboyant ways helped VH. Too bad it all went to his head and he was such a jerk.

I thought that about DLR until reading more and more about EVH in regards to that debacle in 1996 and Sammy's autobiography. DLR isn't a saint but EVH's ego ruined the band in the long run with Van Halen 3 and screwing over Sammy and Michael. That's why I voted Diamond.

EVH is still my favorite guitarist, though.

If the poll had been based on personality, I would have voted for Michael, but I voted on talent. Eddie is an arrogant ass. I don't know if he was always a jerk or became that way due to fame and fortune. What he did to Michael, after having him in the band for almost 30 years, was awful.

• Like 2

This first piece of music I heard that really changed my thinking was Eddie`s playing. I don`t know what direction my tastes and purchases would have gone otherwise, but I can trace every band and every CD and all the guitars I`ve bought back to Eddie. :notworthy:

Eddie worked long and hard. He really gets ticked off when people think they can achieve his talent/fame overnight.

I do worry about Eddie. I hope he`s doing ok. There must be thousands of hours of music he`s recorded in his studio with Alex and Wolfie that hasn`t been released - because he hasn`t exactly gone release-crazy over the last 20 years...

I don't think he's doing that well. In fact, I am bracing myself for the worst. He's been trying to fight that cancer for years and years already. Sooner or later, the inevitable happens.

Wow Lorraine. I know we all knew this but you called it sadly.

• Like 2

This first piece of music I heard that really changed my thinking was Eddie`s playing. I don`t know what direction my tastes and purchases would have gone otherwise, but I can trace every band and every CD and all the guitars I`ve bought back to Eddie. :notworthy:

Eddie worked long and hard. He really gets ticked off when people think they can achieve his talent/fame overnight.

I do worry about Eddie. I hope he`s doing ok. There must be thousands of hours of music he`s recorded in his studio with Alex and Wolfie that hasn`t been released - because he hasn`t exactly gone release-crazy over the last 20 years...

I don't think he's doing that well. In fact, I am bracing myself for the worst. He's been trying to fight that cancer for years and years already. Sooner or later, the inevitable happens.

Wow Lorraine. I know we all knew this but you called it sadly.

I really have been waiting for what happened to happen since I found out he was going to Germany for treatment. I thought it was throat cancer, but I read elsewhere it was lung cancer that finally took his life? I don't know which one for sure and it doesn't really matter anyway. He's gone. I'm going to have a Mass said for him.

Alex must be pretty upset. They were very close.

• Like 1

Glad people are liking this thread lol... my threads don't get this far in the first 3 hours lol

On that note, was the "v.1" in the title really necessary? Did you think this thread would become so immensely popular that it would need a v.2 and v.3 and so on down the road? Yes I know I'm being a dick here, but I had to ask. :)

Glad people are liking this thread lol... my threads don't get this far in the first 3 hours lol

On that note, was the "v.1" in the title really necessary? Did you think this thread would become so immensely popular that it would need a v.2 and v.3 and so on down the road? Yes I know I'm being a dick here, but I had to ask. :)

who knows lol

Goose (Allen) said: and "Copy and Paste" a link

That may have changed...

https://societyofroc...ow-is-the-time/

It really has been a nice gesture that David Lee Roth decided to donate $10,000 to the hospital, where Michael Anthony's 15 year old grandson passed away. Maybe, David felt he wants to be on positive terms with not just Michael, but people, who saves people's lives. About life, it may've did make him more realise that.

Edited by Derek19

Let's have a debate here...

Which is better: Women And Children First, or Fair Warning?

That`s a fine question. They are magnificent. FW is my default answer to favourite record by anyone ever but WACF is not a long way off. My favourite VH track is either Mean Street or Romeo Delight, ...And the Cradle Will Rock is a great opener and I love EWS and Fools, they are classic DLR and EVH all the way. The only difference for me is that Push Comes to Shove might be the solo that blows my mind aling with the outro of One Foot out the Door. Hear About it Later is another highlight and I think it`s just the sheer weight of of classics that pushes FW ahead. I haven`t even got to Unchained... :drool:

WACF > FW

WACT has a rawness that I enjoy, while FW has more interesting guitar work. They are pretty even in my book.

To me, WACF actually feels a little more polished than FW. FW is as heavy and weird (nearly almost proggy) as VH ever got, whereas WACF feels like they just decided to screw writing radio songs for an album and turn up the groove, with a dose of Sabbath for good measure.

• Like 1