The Van Halen Thread v.1 (with additional poll)

_hi_water._

23 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Member Of The Band?

• Alex Van Halen
    • Eddie Van Halen
    • Wolfgang Van Halen
    • Michael Anthony
    • David Lee Roth
    • Sammy Hagar
    • Gary Cherone
    • Mark Stone

Hopefully this will be a good and alive thread :yes:

just make sure you do the additional poll added to the thread!

Edit: not so sure if this thread has been done before, but if there was, this will be the new one

Edited by _hi_water._

I remember when Eddie helped change things. he wasn't the first to do the things he did.. but he and that band did it better. They were great as well as influential and Eddie was THE MAN.

Agreed, :cheers: m8!
  • Like 1

None of them are my favorite personality-wise, but Eddie is a legend.

It will be a long time before there ever is another Eddie Van Halen.

or never ;)

Someone else will come along at some point that will have as much talent, but if it will be in our lifetime, probably not.

None of them are my favorite personality-wise, but Eddie is a legend.

It will be a long time before there ever is another Eddie Van Halen.

or never ;)

Someone else will come along at some point that will have as much talent, but if it will be in our lifetime, probably not.

as a youngster such as myself, probably not

This first piece of music I heard that really changed my thinking was Eddie`s playing. I don`t know what direction my tastes and purchases would have gone otherwise, but I can trace every band and every CD and all the guitars I`ve bought back to Eddie. :notworthy:
  • Like 2

This first piece of music I heard that really changed my thinking was Eddie`s playing. I don`t know what direction my tastes and purchases would have gone otherwise, but I can trace every band and every CD and all the guitars I`ve bought back to Eddie. :notworthy:

Eddie worked long and hard. He really gets ticked off when people think they can achieve his talent/fame overnight.

• Like 3

Eddie worked long and hard. He really gets ticked off when people think they can achieve his talent/fame overnight.

If anyone deserves to get a long break, it's Eddie Van Halen.

I do worry about Eddie. I hope he`s doing ok. There must be thousands of hours of music he`s recorded in his studio with Alex and Wolfie that hasn`t been released - because he hasn`t exactly gone release-crazy over the last 20 years...
  • Like 2

I do worry about Eddie. I hope he`s doing ok. There must be thousands of hours of music he`s recorded in his studio with Alex and Wolfie that hasn`t been released - because he hasn`t exactly gone release-crazy over the last 20 years...

I don't think he's doing that well. In fact, I am bracing myself for the worst. He's been trying to fight that cancer for years and years already. Sooner or later, the inevitable happens.

• Like 2

I don't think he's doing that well. In fact, I am bracing myself for the worst. He's been trying to fight that cancer for years and years already. Sooner or later, the inevitable happens.

I think he`s been battling cancer since about the late 90s, which must take a huge toll, even if his lifestyle had been pure and simple. I`ve always had a man crush on Eddie for the influence he`s had on music and on my tastes, and I too am totally dreading bad news... no news is good news.
  • Like 1

I know many stories about Michael Anthony. He is probably the nicest guy in Van Halen.

I also know many stories about Eddie and he was very nice many times to one of my best buddies over the years.

David Lee Roth is my favorite front man on the planet, but I am going with Eddie.

• Like 1

I know many stories about Michael Anthony. He is probably the nicest guy in Van Halen.

I also know many stories about Eddie and he was very nice many times to one of my best buddies over the years.

David Lee Roth is my favorite front man on the planet, but I am going with Eddie.

Anthony seems to be the most down-to-earth. One of the better backup vocalists in rock.

Roth seems to be a weeeeeeeeeird dude especially in longer podcast situations.

• Like 2

Let's face it if Eddie had left the band in 1977 and gone off to study horticulture and entomology for the next 50 years, the rest of the original band would never have been heard of. And Hagar would be mostly known as the mostly forgotten guy from Montrose who was big in the 70's.
  • Like 1

Let's face it if Eddie had left the band in 1977 and gone off to study horticulture and entomology for the next 50 years, the rest of the original band would never have been heard of. And Hagar would be mostly known as the mostly forgotten guy from Montrose who was big in the 70's.

Let's say it happened. Would David, Michael, and Alex have had any success if they had a very good guitarist (but not Eddie level) with them? Would they have had similar success as Roth's band in the immediate years following his VH departure?

• Like 1

Let's say it happened. Would David, Michael, and Alex have had any success if they had a very good guitarist (but not Eddie level) with them? Would they have had similar success as Roth's band in the immediate years following his VH departure?

It depends. When Roth went solo he had the Van Halen template to build from. He just got an Eddie replacement in Steve Vai and another Eddie replacement on bass instead of a another Mike Anthony. Maybe he could have got someone else, maybe Randy Rhoads, he was around the same clubs and whatnot as Van Halen in the mid to late 70's before he joined Ozzy.