Cut to the Chase is the one that really surprises me. It seems like it would be a good concert song. Al really stretched himself on the solo so I'm wondering if he didn't think he could do it live. I don't hear anything in the song that would be 'hate worthy'.
  • Like 3

BU2B must be an outlier as a song played live before it was released on an album, but not after.

what about caravan. weren't those two released together prior to CA?

Caravan was played on the Clockwork Angels tour but BU2B wasn't.

• Like 1

Cut to the Chase is the one that really surprises me. It seems like it would be a good concert song. Al really stretched himself on the solo so I'm wondering if he didn't think he could do it live. I don't hear anything in the song that would be 'hate worthy'.

That's the one that has always stood out for me too. And, no matter what people might think of it, "The Big Wheel" seems like EXACTLY the kind of song off RTB that they would have wanted to play live on at least that tour.

• Like 5

The only reason I could ever come up with as to why they didn't perform "Cut To The Chase" live, is because Hugh Syme played a little bit of piano on the album version. It's not much, and it's toward the end of the song, but it may have been enough piano that the guys decided they "couldn't reproduce it live" the way they would want to.

"Cut To" is a fantastic song and that guitar solo is absolute kick ass.

• Like 3

The only reason I could ever come up with as to why they didn't perform "Cut To The Chase" live, is because Hugh Syme played a little bit of piano on the album version. It's not much, and it's toward the end of the song, but it may have been enough piano that the guys decided they "couldn't reproduce it live" the way they would want to.

Hugh has a thing for ripping off the Allman Brothers.

wow, i didn't realize there was such a large chunk of vapor trails that was never played live. then again, it was made after a very hard time in Neil's life so it's understandable.
  • Like 1

For me the 3 biggest oversights are Emotion Detector, Open Secrets, and Cut to the Chase. They are all fantastic songs that I think would have sounded Great live.

A little further back in time and I really wish Take a Friend, Making Memories, Fountain of Lamneth, and Lessons would have been played.

Since we know they played The Necromancer, it would have cool if they rotated that with Fountain,

(and it would be even cooler if we had soundboards of both. :D )

• Like 1

Were all the sets from 2112-onward completely static? Would the guys ever throw random songs in at certain shows?

Haven't heard of many occasions of unexpected random songs or jams.

There was the instrumental version of Paint It Black at the SARS benefit gig.

Were all the sets from 2112-onward completely static? Would the guys ever throw random songs in at certain shows?

I don't think they ever did impromptu set list changes but occasionally they dropped a song and then added something, later in the tour. They are the anti-Grateful Dead or Phish

• Like 1

A long time ago I went through all the known tour lists and made a list of my own. It was of the songs that were played live but have never been released on a live album.

I don't know when Rush started recording all their live shows, but in what they do have recorded, there has to be a number of songs which have never been on a live album. I sure wish someone with Rush would start going through all those recordings and that Rush would release an official album of all those songs.

On the 2112 special release, a live version of "Twilight Zone" was included. Unfortunately, that recording plays just a notch too fast. It makes Geddy's high-pitch of 1976/77 sound all the higher. To me, that recording is bad. But it's existence tells me that "Twilight Zone" always existed live, so there's got to be a lot more.

So would you all buy an album of live previously unreleased songs that aren't exactly the big hits? I know there are some of these songs on bootlegs, but those aren't official, well-produced releases.

That's a no brainer, but odds are most of that is on bootlegs which I don't mind all that much. In the case of "The Twilight Zone," there are versions on bootlegs that sound better than the one on the most recent 2112 reissue.

Not usually. They were always well rehearsed and didn't even mess with jamming all that much until a bit later.

Unexpected perhaps, but not random. They likely practiced that one too.

When there were equipment problems, impromptu jams did happen over the years.

This being the best example I've heard anyway...

• Like 1

This being the best example I've heard anyway...

http://youtu.be/HBu69hQZS90

Among the most well-known examples....

For me the 3 biggest oversights are Emotion Detector, Open Secrets, and Cut to the Chase. They are all fantastic songs that I think would have sounded Great live.

A little further back in time and I really wish Take a Friend, Making Memories, Fountain of Lamneth, and Lessons would have been played.

Cut to the Chase is a surprise. That was made for arenas.

Wonder why they overlooked Lessons for 40 years. It's a great tune.

To answer why bad things happen to good songs ...

Sometimes it's something personal -- like Alex didn't like a transition or Neil didn't like a lyric. Long-term bands do a lot of horse-trading as the years go by, and if nobody really fights for a song, more than one good song will slip through the cracks.

I'm a big U2 fan and man oh man have those Irish lads let some jewels disappear. "So Cruel", for example, is even better than the first time I heard it almost 30 years ago. How many times has it been played in concert? It was played exactly 4 times in 1992. Any other band recorded that, it would be the center of the setlist for decades. But the internal dynamics of the band killed it.

Hugh Syme didn't play piano on 'Cut To The Chase'. The liner notes for Counterparts would've mentioned this.

Hugh's role was Art Direction, Design for Counterparts.

Additional keyboards are by John Webster.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

To answer why bad things happen to good songs ...

Sometimes it's something personal -- like Alex didn't like a transition or Neil didn't like a lyric. Long-term bands do a lot of horse-trading as the years go by, and if nobody really fights for a song, more than one good song will slip through the cracks.

I'm a big U2 fan and man oh man have those Irish lads let some jewels disappear. "So Cruel", for example, is even better than the first time I heard it almost 30 years ago. How many times has it been played in concert? It was played exactly 4 times in 1992. Any other band recorded that, it would be the center of the setlist for decades. But the internal dynamics of the band killed it.

The Camera Eye was a glaring song that disappeared in their live show for 27 years. I remember reading about and hearing fans wanting Rush to play this song as far back as the RTB tour. I remember also reading that the band was aware of this but they just didn't want to bring it back. No idea of it was all of them or certain individual(s) that kiboshed it over the years until they brought it back for the Time Machine tour.

• Like 1