treeduck

If it's in US, we won't know . . . still very little testing!

There's over 4000 confirmed cases in 49 states. It's definitely here and certainly should be a concern but it's not time for a full on panic yet. They're taking the proper measures I believe in the limitations they've made in my state when it comes to big get togethers. It's gonna be different for a while but we'll get back to some normalcy soon enough.

I think people are overreacting over here actually. At least it doesn't make total sense why everything's shutting down indefinitely for this one, but Swine Flu and Bird Flu and Sars and Ebola and ever other major health scare of the past 20 years didn't have half this effect. But oh well, people overreacting is probably what will keep the US from winding up like China in this mess...

I don't think history is going to be particularly kind to this post.

I do think there’s some wisdom in EP’s post, though. I was really irked yesterday when Dr. Birx said, during the daily White House briefing, that this is not the time to go out to the grocery, or to the pharmacy- just stay home, stay indoors, and make sure all of your family and friends do the same- don’t go outside, don’t go anywhere. That makes it sound like if we step outside, the air we breathe is completely poisoned and we’re all going to die. And that is plainly, absolutely not true.

I am not a complete denier about the threat of this virus. But I’m also not all caught up in absolute hysteria over it, either.

• Like 4

Four confirmed positives in my building, all in the office staff, which is 6 people. The boss got tested yesterday and the remaining clerk has been quarantined for almost a week. None of the 26 drivers or 4 part-timers at night show any symptoms yet. They have to bring supervisors in from Boston because there are none in our building at the moment.

The girl who basically transmitted it to everyone has been hospitalized for almost a week now. She's on the upswing, but her O2 levels have to reach 94 to be released, and today she only hit a 93. The first guy who tested positive afterward felt a little sick one day and has been fine ever since. He can't come back for at least a week, and I have no idea how the 2 supervisors are feeling, or the boss, for that matter. Some of my coworkers are being such miserable bastards about it I've been tempted to get a doc to order me to quarantine just to not have to deal with them for the first hour of the day.

Seems as though the worst part of this is you can be infected for some time before symptoms become obvious, and by then, your sick enough for quarantine or hospitalization.

I should be wary-type 2 diabetic, borderline high blood pressure questionable immune system from chemo, age factor, etc.

Fuq dat chit, if it's my time so be it. But I'm planning on making 70 in August, damnit!

• Like 4

Seems as though the worst part of this is you can be infected for some time before symptoms become obvious, and by then, your sick enough for quarantine or hospitalization.

I should be wary-type 2 diabetic, borderline high blood pressure questionable immune system from chemo, age factor, etc.

Fuq dat chit, if it's my time so be it. But I'm planning on making 70 in August, damnit!

You'll make it but keep safe and keep isolating. I sometimes wonder if any of the older fans have ever seen Rush play live in '74 but dang it man you could have attended Geddy's Bar Mitzvah!

4c9e08fec73e197f51f72e240dcdae8c.jpg

• Like 2

You'll make it but keep safe and keep isolating. I sometimes wonder if any of the older fans have ever seen Rush play live in '74 but dang it man you could have attended Geddy's Bar Mitzvah!

4c9e08fec73e197f51f72e240dcdae8c.jpg

I believe Mr. JD saw them in 1974, yes.

• Like 1

There's over 4000 confirmed cases in 49 states. It's definitely here and certainly should be a concern but it's not time for a full on panic yet. They're taking the proper measures I believe in the limitations they've made in my state when it comes to big get togethers. It's gonna be different for a while but we'll get back to some normalcy soon enough.

I think people are overreacting over here actually. At least it doesn't make total sense why everything's shutting down indefinitely for this one, but Swine Flu and Bird Flu and Sars and Ebola and ever other major health scare of the past 20 years didn't have half this effect. But oh well, people overreacting is probably what will keep the US from winding up like China in this mess...

I do think there’s some wisdom in EP’s post, though. I was really irked yesterday when Dr. Birx said, during the daily White House briefing, that this is not the time to go out to the grocery, or to the pharmacy- just stay home, stay indoors, and make sure all of your family and friends do the same- don’t go outside, don’t go anywhere. That makes it sound like if we step outside, the air we breathe is completely poisoned and we’re all going to die. And that is plainly, absolutely not true.

I am not a complete denier about the threat of this virus. But I’m also not all caught up in absolute hysteria over it, either.

There's a clear line between "At least it doesn't make total sense why everything's shutting down indefinitely for this one" and what you're describing as applying some common sense in how to integrate the CDC guidance into your lifestyle and living situation. People in NYC should probably stay home for a bit longer, but someone in the middle of nowhere in Nebraska could probably walk for hours without seeing another human.

Arm chair scientists being told to stay home should be good for the arm chair scientist. Alas...

• Like 1

no shit

he was warned. we were not. when we needed a paul revere we got bobby mcferrin..........

the greatest intelligence failure in the history of the good old US of A.

Edited by tangy
  • Like 2

It is 5 confirmed positives now in my building. The boss got it. For drivers quarantine. Two by company orders and two lazy b******'s to went to their doctors and got notes so they could get 2 free weeks off.

Thank you, ed, for keeping everything running along! I think we all depend on our supply chain more than we know!

JrzhWdgm.jpg

• Like 3

It is 5 confirmed positives now in my building. The boss got it. For drivers quarantine. Two by company orders and two lazy b******'s to went to their doctors and got notes so they could get 2 free weeks off.

Thank you, ed, for keeping everything running along! I think we all depend on our supply chain more than we know!

JrzhWdgm.jpg

Thanks. Working keeps me sane, and luckily I really like my job. Even before we started quarantining some of the drivers we were quite busy. Hopefully, as the capacity to test ramps up in the next few weeks this can get tamped down faster.

• Like 1

JrzhWdgm.jpg

yes

thank you.

Mrs Hemi reported symptoms, which were confirmed by her doctor, to her employer yesterday. She was on 3 day 'suspension' from her lying psychopathic sack of shit boss who's trying to make her quit (because they have 'cash flow problems'....awww poor baby). Doctor told her not to test at this time since the test is highly inaccurate (given the various stages of the disease) and only given when symptoms get bad. As I told her, all doctors are freaked out about this so if it sounds anything like Covid, they will treat it like Covid. She gets winded and coughing just emptying the dryer, so she has legit symptoms. Thankfully Michigan put out some executive orders that prevents employers from firing if they report covid symptoms. We're betting that they're clueless and will do it anyway. She didn't want to work there anymore anyway...so f**k em.

She's a Service Manager for a Dealership for the past year. She worked there as a Service Writer 9-10 years ago and they begged her to come back and turn around the department which she did (record sales some months). Her predecessors lasted an average of two years. Now her dick boss wants to thin the herd since they are cash crunched. She's in and out of cars all the time and has asthma, so she should not be there at all. So yeah, let's get Covid and add some employer drama as well.

Stay tuned...this story isn't over.

Mrs Hemi reported symptoms, which were confirmed by her doctor, to her employer yesterday. She was on 3 day 'suspension' from her lying psychopathic sack of shit boss who's trying to make her quit (because they have 'cash flow problems'....awww poor baby). Doctor told her not to test at this time since the test is highly inaccurate (given the various stages of the disease) and only given when symptoms get bad. As I told her, all doctors are freaked out about this so if it sounds anything like Covid, they will treat it like Covid. She gets winded and coughing just emptying the dryer, so she has legit symptoms. Thankfully Michigan put out some executive orders that prevents employers from firing if they report covid symptoms. We're betting that they're clueless and will do it anyway. She didn't want to work there anymore anyway...so f**k em.

She's a Service Manager for a Dealership for the past year. She worked there as a Service Writer 9-10 years ago and they begged her to come back and turn around the department which she did (record sales some months). Her predecessors lasted an average of two years. Now her dick boss wants to thin the herd since they are cash crunched. She's in and out of cars all the time and has asthma, so she should not be there at all. So yeah, let's get Covid and add some employer drama as well.

She needs to be tested. She needs the test results for a future law suit if she gets wrongfully terminated.

• Like 3

She needs to be tested. She needs the test results for a future law suit if she gets wrongfully terminated.

Thanks for your comment. Right now, testing is in short supply and requires a physician recommendation which she hasn't received. She got a doctors note excusing her from work which pretty much covers the reasons she's off. State Executive Orders state you only have to report 'Covid Symptoms' and does not require testing. She actually got a text response from her a$$hole boss this morning which was surprisingly accommodating. Thankfully, both state and federal legislation on Covid give more control to employees. The large majority of people that get Covid can ride it out like the common flu.

Her employer, if they're smart (questionable) needs to keep this quiet or they'll have a shitshow if everyone figures out while she's not there. If they have any clue, they know they have no cards to play at the moment (and I think they're starting to learn that).

As for her employment status, we are probably just delaying the inevitable, but she's in no shape to work so we focus on her health right now. We've been keeping distance and sleeping in separate rooms for that past week or so. I tend to have a pretty strong immune system so i'm not real concerned about myself right now. I told her this morning, that her suspension might well be the best thing that happened to her because it was not apparent until this past weekend that she was really struggling. We're both tough and I'm thankful she didn't tough it out and continue to work.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

"they have 'cash flow problems'....awww poor baby"

I sympathize with your post and there is no doubt there are a lot of lousy bosses out there, including some that will take advantage of this pandemic. But, I take a little exception to the above part of your post. These cash flow issues with thousands of businesses are real. Our business is down 50% minimum since this started. I was forced to lay off a few people and reduce salaries. We are trying to keep what was a booming business one month ago, alive through the course of this pandemic. I hope we do, and I don't like the actions we have taken with our employees, but it was necessary.

Edited by Syrinx
  • Like 3

"they have 'cash flow problems'....awww poor baby"

I sympathize with your post and there is no doubt there are a lot of lousy bosses out there, including some that will take advantage of this pandemic. But, I take a little exception to the above part of your post. These cash flow issues with thousands of businesses are real. Our business is down 50% minimum since this started. I was forced to lay off a few people and reduce salaries. We are trying to keep what was a booming business one month ago, alive through the course of this pandemic. I hope we do, and I don't like the actions we have taken with our employees, but it was necessary.

Fair point and I apologize. My comment was referring to my wife's employer and not a general statement. I have great sympathy for all the businesses, especially small, that are struggling even before this started. In my wife's situation, this railroading of my wife didn't start until the sales part of the dealership got shut down. The owner has had the business for 20 years, so if he's running that tight on cash after a bad month or two that's on him. I even question his 'cash flow problem' claim because they were doing gangbusters before this hit. I get a little touchy when someone tries to screw over my wife.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 2

Quick pandemic chart update:

DeadliestPandemics-Infographic-16-25March2020.jpg

Quick update:

tjHAak2.jpg

yikes

the trouble with tribbles.........................

I don't remember the Hong Kong Flu but I was about 6-7 when that hit. The thing with the flu is eventually goes away on it's own...there's no slowing this shit down yet.

• Like 1

I was listening to the Gov. of Maryland a few days ago explain how he followed what South Korea was doing early on in the outbreak, and the biggest contributor to lowering transmission was face masks. Yes early on the CDC said that they really didn't protect you that much but now we know so many are asymptomatic and not showing signs but also shedding the virus. By wearing a mask we protect each other from this possibility. I am using a mask now when I go to the store and the clerks are wearing them too. Here's a good explanation of the rationale for wearing one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_WxtSavZR4

This video is a few weeks old so by now the Feds are recommending masks. Homemade masks can be washed so it doesn't take much to make one. You can make one with a bandana and rubber bands, it's on the CDC website.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

Quick pandemic chart update:

DeadliestPandemics-Infographic-16-25March2020.jpg

Quick update:

tjHAak2.jpg

yikes

the trouble with tribbles.........................

I don't remember the Hong Kong Flu but I was about 6-7 when that hit. The thing with the flu is eventually goes away on it's own...there's no slowing this shit down yet.

not yet but now we are done using our best scientists to cure middle aged mens errectile difficulties i hope we can work together to manage covid. i read the other day that all flu we still experience are variations of the 1918 pandemic.

• Like 1

My coworker was finally able to go home after a week in the hospital. Still at least a week before she can come back to work. No news on the other 4 positives. 1 quarantined guy back to work, 6 still out. Starting tomorrow they'll be taking our temp as we enter the building. 100.1 or higher gets you a 3-day vacation.
  • Like 1

My coworker was finally able to go home after a week in the hospital. Still at least a week before she can come back to work. No news on the other 4 positives. 1 quarantined guy back to work, 6 still out. Starting tomorrow they'll be taking our temp as we enter the building. 100.1 or higher gets you a 3-day vacation.

Have you been exposed yet? All your co-workers seems to have it.

• Like 1

Have you been exposed yet? All your co-workers seems to have it.

According to what's considered "close contact" (within 6 feet for 10 to 30 minutes), I have not been exposed. The 2 night agents and night supervisor are folks I'm only near (6 feet) for about 30 seconds at night when I'm checking out. Same with the manager and morning supervisor. They may walk by during the sort, but they don't linger by the truck. It's been 12 days since the girl was at work, 8 days for the night agent and 6 and 7 days respectively for the supervisors. I've felt fine so far. A bit of a headache tonight though.

• Like 2