treeduck

:ranton: YMMV, but in a worldwide pandemic I don't think purchasing of testing supplies and PPE should have been left to individual states. There has been very little federal leadership from the top. Having all the states compete against each other and against hospitals and health providers for limited resources is not efficient. My daughter and son in law lost their jobs at a small health care firm because it could not obtain the PPE they needed for patients and staff, not with huge hospital chains and 50 individual states on the market for the same thing. There are times when the federal government could have used its clout to help make purchases of PPE and testing supplies (and/or invoked the Defense Production Act for more than ventilators).

Do you remember the initial panic in New York and their call for the Fed to confiscate protective supplies from other states? How did things end up in New York? (The wave resided) And as the virus spread to other states, how might the ability of those states to respond have been impacted had their supplies been confiscated. (It may have been devastating)

It's worse, IMO when it gets to school districts. Why should over 13,000 school districts in the US be on their own as to figuring out policies and procedures that would keep their staff and students safe? Yes, many districts are used to operating independently, but again, why should they each have to obtain cleaning supplies, laptops, etc etc all on their own? We live in a 6 county area with a huge number of school districts and all have gone through the route of opening late, then opening hybrid, then going 100 percent face to face "because it's better for the kids" and finally now, one by one, announcing they are going totally remote until at least December due to coronavirus spiking again. The school district I graduated from has 8400 students over a large area. They have just gone totally remote because in the last week they have had 700 students and staff either positive or requiring quarantining. That's a big number and a lot to deal with for staff and administration who

Are you aware of the $billions in federal aid that were doled out to districts for protective measures to be put in place early in the crisis? Here's a report from July 8 on a local school receiving $72,000 for modifications for COVID safety.

https://www.nevadaap...security-grant/

The current administration is horrible at getting the word out, and of course Trump's alienation of the Press doesn't help things, nor does the fact that he seems to know little of the details of what's being done. But it's simply not the case that there has been no response.

I did not say anything about confiscating supplies. There has been very little response on the federal level, however. You are welcome to disagree with me, and I guess we are, lol! I still maintain that having 50 individual states and countless individual businesses all competing for the same resources was/is inefficient. And yes, schools received money to help supply what they needed. Which they then had to turn to the same open market with in order to obtain the high priced supplies that could have been being produced here in the US starting in March or April. Why wasn't the Defense Production Act used for anything besides ventilators? And schools here at least received very little guidance. My husband teaches. My next door neighbor teaches. My best friend teaches. And all of their districts feel like they have been fumbling in the dark for what the best practices would be during a world wide pandemic.

I am old and growing up, there were kids in our neighborhood that lived through the polio era., some who were not the same afterward. There was a lot of government collaboration in support of a vaccine. That is one thing this government has done a good job at as well. However, there were also a lot of public health measures that started at the federal level on down, to try to keep people safe when polio transmission was not fully understood. The federal government did not choose at that time to say, "I'm not responsible". leaving states on their own.

It sounds like things are going relatively well in Nevada and I'm glad! It is a different state than back east however, and we have felt abandoned. :( :( In a lot of ways this is "woulda, coulda, shoulda." The past months are behind us but I hope things will go better from now on. I must exit as this is bringing out my argumentative side, which is like the last thing I need today! :LOL:

Just a discussion, no arguing. :hug2:

I would ask how long did it take to defeat polio? More than a year? Was the response immediate, or was it a long progression? No need to answer, of course. This is why I detest the Media. Everything is so caustic and impatient. It really is absurd. And reality tv President Trump is/was a big part of that problem. Good riddance.

No worries! Thank you for the :hug2: and your answer, it's all good. My husband thinks I have been sitting too close to my light box! :LOL: Me, irritable? :LOL: Its quite possible in the weirdness that is 2020. We have 3 family members waiting on covid test results so I apologize if I have been snappish. They are doing ok but there's that worry that they will be positive and be one of those people that take a bad turn in week 2. Time for me to stow the discussion and concentrate on those Steelers! The terrible towel Christmas ornaments are selling out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3do3BxNOLmM

• Like 1

Alarmist, my ass. Read this article and tell me it's alarmist, I dare you.

https://www.theatlan...workers/617091/

There are 3600 new cases a day in Iowa. That's more than double the number in Ontario at the moment, and Iowa has one-fifth the population. That's f***ed. (In the Canadian context, Ontario is doing a really shit job right now.)

If things keep going the way they're going, the American healthcare system is going to collapse sometime around Christmas. There won't be enough nurses and doctors still capable of working by that point to take care of the coming wave of sick people.

Right on track. Unfortunately. Everything is going to hell before the vaccines are widely available. Damnit.

• Like 1

There are 3600 new cases a day in Iowa. That's more than double the number in Ontario at the moment, and Iowa has one-fifth the population. That's f***ed. (In the Canadian context, Ontario is doing a really shit job right now.)

If things keep going the way they're going, the American healthcare system is going to collapse sometime around Christmas. There won't be enough nurses and doctors still capable of working by that point to take care of the coming wave of sick people.

Right on track. Unfortunately. Everything is going to hell before the vaccines are widely available. Damnit.

"I refuse to wear a mask. It's against my rights. I refuse to not gather with family. The government isn't gonna tell me what to do."

• Like 2

"I refuse to wear a mask. It's against my rights. I refuse to not gather with family. The government isn't gonna tell me what to do."

2,885 deaths in U.S. on December 2nd. That's a 30% increase in the last 14 days. Let's see how the super spreader travel effect goes. Masks are not a political statement :finbar:

• Like 3

2,885 deaths in U.S. on December 2nd. That's a 30% increase in the last 14 days. Let's see how the super spreader travel effect goes. Masks are not a political statement :finbar:

I'm guessing you knew it was sarcasm.

Sadly many have made it political including the outgoing.

lol "I refuse to wear pants! It's against my rights! My family WANTS to see my package. I also reject the idea of socks on occasion."

EYaLD3zVAAAgY62.jpg

• Like 8

I'd do anything for my country!

We need you to responsibly distance in public.

WhatsApp-Image-2020-11-07-at-7.26.40-PM-1-1500x999.jpeg

No social distancing here and nary a mask either.

b4dNc6T.jpg

Stupid has no political bounds.

b4dNc6T.jpg

Certainly you're not suggesting that the virus spreads in the same way at political rallies whose message I agree with and those I don't. If THAT'S what you're trying to say, go take your science somewhere else.

• Like 1

b4dNc6T.jpg

Certainly you're not suggesting that the virus spreads in the same way at political rallies whose message I agree with and those I don't. If THAT'S what you're trying to say, go take your science somewhere else.

:P
  • Like 1

I'm guessing you knew it was sarcasm.

Sadly many have made it political including the outgoing.

Way too late for the idea that masks aren’t a political statement. They’ve already been thought of and used that way unfortunately.

• Like 1

I have to just laugh at this thread!!

:laughing guy:

Because....?

I enjoy watching the world burn?

Actually, I think its that I enjoy watching people when they think the world is burning?

I like watching human beings stripped down to their base and exposed for what they are.

Its past time for the planet to flick us off like a bad case of fleas!

:)

• Like 1

Because....?

Actually, I think its that I enjoy watching people when they think the world is burning?

I like watching human beings stripped down to their base and exposed for what they are.

I liked Michael Caine’s line in Dark Knight also but I doubt you want the world to burn seeing that you’re part of it.

Because....?

I liked Michael Caine’s line in Dark Knight also but I doubt you want the world to burn seeing that you’re part of it.

Meh, I have made my peace. Actually there is no peace. I just don't care is all.

Because....?

Meh, I have made my peace. Actually there is no peace. I just don't care is all.

I’m guessing you don’t remember but you said an almost identical thing 12-13 years ago in chat. Yup, 12-13 years ago. I think rushgoober and a couple of other old schoolers were there too. It started with your thoughts of leaving your city because you thought it was “a cesspool”. You thought of moving to Australia or Ireland and I said “Go for it! Find somewhere good.” Anyhoo...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mayor-austin-texas-apologizes-taking-mexico-vacation-while-urging-residents-n1249885

The mayor of Austin, Texas, has apologized for traveling to Mexico during the pandemic.

Responding to a story first reported Wednesday in The Austin American-Statesman, the mayor, Steve Adler, admitted he traveled in early November to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico — and while abroad, he even recorded a message urging Austinites to stay home to combat the spread of the coronavirus.

:clap:

• Like 1

https://www.nbcnews....idents-n1249885

The mayor of Austin, Texas, has apologized for traveling to Mexico during the pandemic.

Responding to a story first reported Wednesday in The Austin American-Statesman, the mayor, Steve Adler, admitted he traveled in early November to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico — and while abroad, he even recorded a message urging Austinites to stay home to combat the spread of the coronavirus.

Oregon too. Bravo.

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/2020/11/multiple-oregon-elected-officials-face-backlash-for-tropical-vacations-during-covid-19-surge.html

Oregon too. Bravo.

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/2020/11/multiple-oregon-elected-officials-face-backlash-for-tropical-vacations-during-covid-19-surge.html

Vote them all out.
  • Like 1

1607270082[/url'>' post='4863745']
1607180742' post='4863471']
1607178015[/url'>' post='4863459']
1606922785' post='4862495']

Oregon too. Bravo.

https://www.oregonli...d-19-surge.html

Vote them all out.

Now you’re talking.

Oregon too. Bravo.

Vote them all out.

Now you’re talking.

No place for nuance or making distinctions here in SOCN North.

Edited by laughedatbytime

Oregon too. Bravo.

Vote them all out.

Now you’re talking.

No place for nuance or making distinctions here in SOCN North.

Now you're talking.

• Like 1

Oregon too. Bravo.

Should’ve just taken a vacation (if any) to their living room or den like the citizens they asked to stay home probably did.

• Like 1