Nirvana vs. Green Day

Entre_Perpetuo

which do you prefer?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. bands

2. 2. signature albums

3. 3. other signature albums

I pick Nirvana because they would NEVER tour with a band like Fallout Boy like Green Day will do this year with Weezer. I feel about FOB the way Elvis Costello feels about Morrissey. Great song titles but terrible songs.

Eh, Green Day is touring with FOB because Green Day are seen as kind of the forefathers of that super-pathosy pop punk sound FOB, Panic!, MCR, and Paramore used to rep, but have all since moved on from (or in the case of MCR just quit before they had to do to much more changing). There's a lineage there with those bands. American Idiot really isn't far from Infinity On High in many respects.

At any rate I feel like artists should be judged on their own merits rather than who they tour with.

Amen.

• Like 1

Green Day for me! I've just always liked Soundgarden and Stone Temple Pilots much better than Nirvana for some reason.

i take most of the other big grunge bands over Nirvana, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

I'll take any opportunity I can to vote against Nirvana. So it's Green Day for me even though I am not really a fan of theirs either.

that gave me a laugh but i hear ya.

never got the big deal putting aside the importance.....it's nothing special IMO.

Mick

The three other bands that came out of Seattle during that time blow Nirvana away.

my fav is alice in Chains and they fukkin' roundhouse kick Nirvana into near non-existence for me, lol

Mick

I do love AiC, also...they were the best band to come out of that whole scene, IMO.

3 words. Mother Love Bone

You mean the band nobody heard of until after the big four of grunge made it big lol.

Green Day for me! I've just always liked Soundgarden and Stone Temple Pilots much better than Nirvana for some reason.

I'm not sure how STP got stuck with the whole grunge label? They were always a regular hard rock band to me. They didn't have any association with the Seattle scene at the time.

• Like 1

I used to be heavily obsessed with both in high school. I kind of drifted away from both of them by the end of high school. I'd Dookie over Nevemind, and In Utero over American Idiot.

I'll take any opportunity I can to vote against Nirvana. So it's Green Day for me even though I am not really a fan of theirs either.

never got the big deal putting aside the importance.....it's nothing special IMO.

Mick

The three other bands that came out of Seattle during that time blow Nirvana away.

my fav is alice in Chains and they fukkin' roundhouse kick Nirvana into near non-existence for me, lol

Mick

I do love AiC, also...they were the best band to come out of that whole scene, IMO.

You mean the band nobody heard of until after the big four of grunge made it big lol.

So? It doesn't change how great Mother Love Bone were. Whenever they got recognised, it was well deserved

• Like 2

I'm not sure how STP got stuck with the whole grunge label? They were always a regular hard rock band to me. They didn't have any association with the Seattle scene at the time.

I agree! That thought kind of crossed my mind when posting; the earlier STP stuff sounded kind of grunge like to me but they moved to hard rock pretty quickly.

Because Scott weiland ripped off Eddie Vedder on their first album.

Edited by HemiBeers

No would have known nirvana existed if butch vig didn't produce and sanitize nevermind.

Nirvana is one of the most overrated, overhyped bands in history.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

Mick

Mick

Apparently you have no idea of the history of grunge.

Mick

Mick

I don't see what that has to do with anything. The band is only widely known because their singer died young and two of its members went on to be in Pearl Jam.

Mick

Mick

I don't see what that has to do with anything. The band is only widely known because their singer died young and two of its members went on to be in Pearl Jam.

No. They are known because of that by many who don't care to go any further. They are loved by plenty because their music was insanely good. Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam, Temple Of The Dog and Stone Temple Pilots released in a very close span of time some of the greatest debut albums I have ever heard.

None of this "big four" shite, this era produced so many fantastic bands, it took many great records a little time to get the right recognition. I have no idea why you're downplaying the relevance of this band, the music speaks for itself.

Mick

Mick

No. They are known because of that by many who don't care to go any further. They are loved by plenty because their music was insanely good. Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam, Temple Of The Dog and Stone Temple Pilots released in a very close span of time some of the greatest debut albums I have ever heard.

None of this "big four" shite, this era produced so many fantastic bands, it took many great records a little time to get the right recognition. I have no idea why you're downplaying the relevance of this band, the music speaks for itself.

That STP debut is a great one. But they are not grunge. They got clumped in with that label because they got popular not too long after the "big four" from Seattle got huge. You may not like that label but when people hear the big four of grunge mentioned they know exactly what bands are being referred to.

Mick

Mick

That STP debut is a great one. But they are not grunge. They got clumped in with that label because they got popular not too long after the "big four" from Seattle got huge. You may not like that label but when people hear the big four of grunge mentioned they know exactly what bands are being referred to.

Scott Weiland mimicked vocal styles. I don't necessarily see that as a weakness or something to be critical about because it worked for Stone Temple Pilots. STP was deceptively good. I think the main reason STP got lumped with Grunge is because Weiland seemed to be mimicking Eddie Vedder, to the degree that casual listeners probably thought STP was Pearl Jam.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 2

I'm not wild about Nirvana, but HATE Green Day. Billy Joe Armstrong sounds like he has a perpetual sinus problem...."wage be ub, whed Septebber edds". As soon as one of their songs comes on, I get Ninja fingers and change the station before the 10th note is played.
  • Like 2

Mick

Mick

:yes:

Whether true or not, whether deserved or not, there are three albums which are considered to have redirected the course of popular music, or at least sat front and center at the point of demarcation: Sgt Peppers, Never Mind the Bollocks, and Nevermind. This comparison should be more one sided than Custer vs the Sioux. Music critics are often wrong (such as the way they hated on Led Zeppelin through the '70s and most of the '80s, before deciding to fawn over them) but sometimes they are very right, like the way they almost universally praise Nirvana for being genuine art, the way punk could be genuine (Cobain insisted that the grunge label was nonsense, that Nirvana was simply a punk/garage band). But it's not just critics, it's musicians and songwriters such as Patti Smith, Michael Stipe, Annie Clark, etc etc etc.; literally, a simple internet search will find countless musicians who praise Cobain. But Green Day? What a putrid pile of adolescent krahp. Well, whatever, it's all only pop music. Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

Mick

Mick

Scott Weiland mimicked vocal styles. I don't necessarily see that as a weakness or something to be critical about because it worked for Stone Temple Pilots. STP was deceptively good. I think the main reason STP got lumped with Grunge is because Weiland seemed to be mimicking Eddie Vedder, to the degree that casual listeners probably thought STP was Pearl Jam.

I certainly hear some similarities in Vedder and Weiland's vocals but both of them have their own individuality. Core came out about a year after Ten so it's possible Weiland got some inspiration from Vedder.

Mick

Mick

I certainly hear some similarities in Vedder and Weiland's vocals but both of them have their own individuality. Core came out about a year after Ten so it's possible Weiland got some inspiration from Vedder.

possible? Lol
  • Like 1

Whether true or not, whether deserved or not, there are three albums which are considered to have redirected the course of popular music, or at least sat front and center at the point of demarcation: Sgt Peppers, Never Mind the Bollocks, and Nevermind. This comparison should be more one sided than Custer vs the Sioux. Music critics are often wrong (such as the way they hated on Led Zeppelin through the '70s and most of the '80s, before deciding to fawn over them) but sometimes they are very right, like the way they almost universally praise Nirvana for being genuine art, the way punk could be genuine (Cobain insisted that the grunge label was nonsense, that Nirvana was simply a punk/garage band). But it's not just critics, it's musicians and songwriters such as Patti Smith, Michael Stipe, Annie Clark, etc etc etc.; literally, a simple internet search will find countless musicians who praise Cobain. But Green Day? What a putrid pile of adolescent krahp. Well, whatever, it's all only pop music.

lumping nevermind with Sgt Peppers is laughable. Even more laughable than excluding Jimi Hendrix from your 'holy trinity'.

Edited by HemiBeers

Mick

Mick

possible? Lol

Weiland's vocals on STP's Plush is a rip off of Pearl Jam's Evenflow. I realized this the first time I heard Plush.

Play Evenflow at :15 then play Plush at :50.

Whether true or not, whether deserved or not, there are three albums which are considered to have redirected the course of popular music, or at least sat front and center at the point of demarcation: Sgt Peppers, Never Mind the Bollocks, and Nevermind. This comparison should be more one sided than Custer vs the Sioux. Music critics are often wrong (such as the way they hated on Led Zeppelin through the '70s and most of the '80s, before deciding to fawn over them) but sometimes they are very right, like the way they almost universally praise Nirvana for being genuine art, the way punk could be genuine (Cobain insisted that the grunge label was nonsense, that Nirvana was simply a punk/garage band). But it's not just critics, it's musicians and songwriters such as Patti Smith, Michael Stipe, Annie Clark, etc etc etc.; literally, a simple internet search will find countless musicians who praise Cobain. But Green Day? What a putrid pile of adolescent krahp. Well, whatever, it's all only pop music.

How is Nirvana not also extremely adolescent? And what makes music’s perceived adolescence so bad? To my ears, any punk at all (including The Sex Pistols) has a very youth centric sound and attitude, even if the lyrics venture into politics (it’s not like teenagers are never political, though they aren’t usually very good at it). Also how do you list Nevermind The Bollocks as having the same effect on popular music as Nevermind or Sgt. Pepper’s when The Ramones had already introduced the world to punk a year earlier and the Clash were just as popular and important as both of them? I’d argue Van Halen or Are You Experienced had a much more profound singular impact on popular music than Nevermind The Bollocks.

• Like 2