Best Rush album SIDE from the 70's and 80's

rushgoober

What was the best Rush album side in the 70's and 80's???  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What was the best Rush album side in the 70's and 80's???

• Rush - side 1 (Finding My Way, Need Some Love, Take A Friend, Here Again)
    • Rush - side 2 (What You're Doing, In the Mood, Before and After, Working Man)
    • Fly By Night - side 1 (Anthem, Best I Can, Beneath, Between and Behind, By-Tor and the Snowdog)
    • Fly By Night - side 2 (Fly By Night, Making Memories, Rivendell, In the End)
    • Caress of Steel - side 1 (Bastille Day, I Think I'm Going Bald, Lakeside Park, The Necromancer)
    • Caress of Steel - side 2 - (The Fountain of Lamneth)
    • 2112 - side 1 (2112)
    • 2112 - side 2 (A Passage to Bangkok, The Twilight Zone, Lessons, Tears, Something for Nothing)
    • A Farwell to Kings - side 1 (A Farewell to Kings, Xanadu)
    • A Farewell to Kings - side 2 (Closer to the Heart, Cinderella Man, Madrigal, Cygnus X-1)
    • Hemispheres - side 1 (Hemispheres)
    • Hemispheres - side 2 (Circumstances, The Trees, La Villa Strangiato)
    • Permanent Waves - side 1 (The Spirit of Radio, Freewill, Jacob's Ladder)
    • Permanent Waves - side 2 (Entre Nous, Different Strings, Natural Science)
    • Moving Pictures - side 1 (Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ Limelight)
    • Moving Pictures - side 2 (The Camera Eye, Witch Hung, Vital Signs)
    • Signals - side 1 (Subdivions, The Analog Kid, Chemistry, Digital Man)
    • Signals - side 2 (The Weapon, New World Man, Losing It, Countdown)
    • Grace Under Pressure - side 1 (Distant Early Warning, Afterimage, Red Sector A, The Enemy Within)
    • Grace Under Pressure - side 2 (The Body Electric, Kid Gloves, red lenses, Between the Wheels)
    • Power Windows - side 1 (The Big Money, Grand Designs, Manhattan Project, Marathon)
    • Power Windows - side 2 (Territories, Middletown Dreams, Emotion Detector, Mystic Rhythms)
    • Hold Your Fire - side 1 (Force Ten, Time Stand Still, Open Secrets, Second Nature, Prime Mover)
    • Hold Your Fire - side 2 (Lock and Key, Mission, Turn the Page, Tai Shan, High Water)
    • Presto - side 1 (Show Don't Tell, Chain Lightning, The Pass, War Paint, Scars, Presto)
    • Presto - side 2 (Superconductor, Anagram (for Mongo), Red Tide, Hand Over Fist, Available Light

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 6 2009, 12:43 PM)
QUOTE (MCM @ Jan 5 2009, 09:40 PM)
Why all these tough questions lately?  It took me a full day to figure out if I preferred Cinderella Man over Working Man.. This one could take me until the end of the week.  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

Don't blame me - I did most of these polls years ago and they got bumped! tongue.gif

That means we'll know your answer during the weekend. ^-^

Is it my fault, Goober? tongue.gif

Oh-oh...

bolt.gif

Edited by rhyv

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rhyv @ Jan 6 2009, 12:12 PM)
Why all these tough questions lately?  It took me a full day to figure out if I preferred Cinderella Man over Working Man.. This one could take me until the end of the week.  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

Don't blame me - I did most of these polls years ago and they got bumped! tongue.gif

Oh-oh...

bolt.gif

Hey, I'm enjoying all of these old threads since I've only been around her for just under a year

I guess now the pressure is on and I'll have to make a decision on this before the weekend.. that gives me yet another excuse not to send out resumes. laugh.gif

QUOTE (MCM @ Jan 7 2009, 01:05 AM)
QUOTE (rhyv @ Jan 6 2009, 12:12 PM)

Oh-oh...

bolt.gif

Hey, I'm enjoying all of these old threads since I've only been around her for just under a year

I guess now the pressure is on and I'll have to make a decision on this before the weekend.. that gives me yet another excuse not to send out resumes. laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I wish you a good decision. wink.gif laugh.gif

MY CHOICE: MOVING PICTURES - SIDE ONE

Amazing. Brilliant. Stunning. Genius. Perfect. yes.gif

HONOURABLE MENTION: POWER WINDOWS - SIDE TWO

I would say 4 very often-forgot-about tracks. (I realize Mystic Rhythms was considered a "single" with the video, but is still rarely talked about amongst the other popular tracks).

Bottom line: Every single one of these tracks are outstanding, and they compliment each other perfectly! The whole production and "flow" of Power Windows is undeniably outstanding! 1022.gif

For me, it's a three-way tie (inb4 LULZ) between both sides of Permanent Waves, and side two of Power Windows.

Even though I think my #1 choice below is still the greatest album side of all time, all of these album sides in particular I find completely flawless, with each song being absolute classics:

1. Side 1 of MP (Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ, Limelight)

2. Side 1 of AFTK (A Farewell to Kings, Xanadu)

3. Side 2 of Hemispheres (Circumstances, The Trees, La Villa Strangiato

4. Side 1 of PW (The Spirit of Radio, Freewill, Jacob's Ladder)

Those 4 sides to me are beyond perfection.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 15 2005, 10:10 AM)
Remember when ALBUMS had SIDES? They did, I swear! They had a side one and a side two, and you had to manually turn it over to get from one side to another. Really, you can't make this shit up. no.gif

Anyway, back in the 70's and 80's, Rush made VINLY ALBUMS and CASSETTE TAPES, and people BOUGHT them and considered side one and side two as being distinct from one another, having different attributes and feels to them, even though they were part of the same package.

Luckilly, even those youngun's here who weren't alive before cd's existed unsure.gif can still participate by looking at the handy little breakdown of songs above.

For those complainers that say that there were still Rush vinyl albums in the 90's and today (side question: has anyone figured out what on earth to call this decade yet?), I'm referring to the era when albums were still popular. Admittedly, from the mid to late 80's, many people had already moved to cd's, but it seemed a niftier ending point to choose the end of the 80's then a more random point in the 80's, and vinyl albums didn't really start to become MIA until the late 80's and early 90's on a mass level anyway.

So, what was Rush's BEST album side???

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/rushgoober/youmakethecall.jpg

The easiest poll ever Gary!

"HEMISPHERES" SIDE ONE!!!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 21 2010, 05:32 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 15 2005, 10:10 AM)
Remember when ALBUMS had SIDES?  They did, I swear!  They had a side one and a side two, and you had to manually turn it over to get from one side to another.  Really, you can't make this shit up.  no.gif

Anyway, back in the 70's and 80's, Rush made VINLY ALBUMS and CASSETTE TAPES, and people BOUGHT them and considered side one and side two as being distinct from one another, having different attributes and feels to them, even though they were part of the same package.

Luckilly, even those youngun's here who weren't alive before cd's existed unsure.gif can still participate by looking at the handy little breakdown of songs above.

For those complainers that say that there were still Rush vinyl albums in the 90's and today (side question: has anyone figured out what on earth to call this decade yet?), I'm referring to the era when albums were still popular.  Admittedly, from the mid to late 80's, many people had already moved to cd's, but it seemed a niftier ending point to choose the end of the 80's then a more random point in the 80's, and vinyl albums didn't really start to become MIA until the late 80's and early 90's on a mass level anyway.

So, what was Rush's BEST album side???

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/rushgoober/youmakethecall.jpg

The easiest poll ever Gary!

"HEMISPHERES" SIDE ONE!!!! 1022.gif

yes.gif

We must be in the Time Machine, with these old threads reappearing. tongue.gif

Actually, I never saw this and just voted for 2112 side one, because I think it deserves to be right up there with side one of Hemispheres, PeW, and MP, which to me are all perfect and iconic album sides.

It is really a shame that album sides are now pretty much meaningless with MP3s and even CDs. sad.gif

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jul 21 2010, 06:48 PM)
We must be in the Time Machine, with these old threads reappearing. tongue.gif

Actually, I never saw this and just voted for 2112 side one, because I think it deserves to be right up there with side one of Hemispheres, PeW, and MP, which to me are all perfect and iconic album sides.

It is really a shame that album sides are now pretty much meaningless with MP3s and even CDs. sad.gif

Album sides went out with CDs, no doubt. But not mp3s.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 21 2010, 05:52 PM)

How do you mean? Aren't "albums" even less meaningful now with i-tunes, etc.? Now, you don't even have to buy an entire album or CD, you can just pick and choose just a couple of tracks here and there. Then they wind up on yout i-pod or MP3 player in shuffle mode and there's even less "flow" to the music.

It must be really hard for an artist these days to put together a collection of songs and hope that the listener will hear them as they intended.

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jul 21 2010, 06:59 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 21 2010, 05:52 PM)

How do you mean? Aren't "albums" even less meaningful now with i-tunes, etc.? Now, you don't even have to buy an entire album or CD, you can just pick and choose just a couple of tracks here and there. Then they wind up on yout i-pod or MP3 player in shuffle mode and there's even less "flow" to the music.

It must be really hard for an artist these days to put together a collection of songs and hope that the listener will hear them as they intended.

You specified album sides not albums. wink.gif

This is why I can't vote for side 1 of 2112:

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

See how it sings like a sad heart

And joyously screams out its pain

Sounds that build high like a mountain

Or notes that fall gently, like rain

I can't wait to share this new wonder

The people will all see its light

Let them all make their own music

The Priests praise my name on this night

"Discovery" is a super weak link, in my book. I cannot get past these lyrics! Yuck.

As amazing Hemispheres and Moving Pictures side ones are I am a Permanent Waves fan Boi all the way.

The Spirit of Radio - quite possibly the best Rush song ever.

Freewill - Without question the signature jam section for Rush that is not an instrumental.

Jacobs Ladder - One of my all time favorite songs and such a brooding piece of prog perfection. Just an insane guitar performance from Alex, And Neil and Geddy are just hammering that rhythm section that goes every where.