"Let's Celebrate The 80's"

Lorraine

The dance is tonight, not the other day as I thought. :dweez: Would anyone like to take me? :) You wouldn't want me sitting in a corner crying into my glass of club soda, would you? :| ;)

In any event, as I walked through the grocery store this morning, I was singing this tune out loud. I got a few strange looks.

:musicnote: ..So let's sink another drink

'cause it will give me time to think ... :musicnote:

• Like 6

The dance is tonight, not the other day as I thought. :dweez: Would anyone like to take me? :) You wouldn't want me sitting in a corner crying into my glass of club soda, would you? :| ;)

In any event, as I walked through the grocery store this morning, I was singing this tune out loud. I got a few strange looks.

That's my favorite line in the song. He was the king of MTV during its early years. Eyes Without A Face is probably my favorite song from him. He's an underrated songwriter too. He's got some pretty solid stuff beyond the hits.

• Like 3

http://youtu.be/FG1NrQYXjLU

That's my favorite line in the song. He was the king of MTV during its early years. Eyes Without A Face is probably my favorite song from him. He's an underrated songwriter too. He's got some pretty solid stuff beyond the hits.

You'd never think he was talented, but he was. I loved him back then. And that's my favorite line in the song as well.

• Like 1

My favorite song to dance to.

• Like 2

http://youtu.be/FG1NrQYXjLU

I really enjoyed him playing himself in The Wedding Singer

• Like 3

Turn Up The Radio sounds almost exactly like Def Leppard...which is to say it sounds completely awesome.

• Like 4

Red Skies At Night - The Fixx

Lunatic Fringe - Red Rider

To me, those songs belong together in playlists. They really do compliment each other.

• Like 2

That first Asia record. Classic.

I'll throw in the GTR record for good measure. Another gem.

HSAS for the trifecta.

Edited by grep
  • Like 2

HSAS for the trifecta.

I was going to put an Asia song. You're right about that first album being a classic.

• Like 1

Too many to list from R.E.M. in the 80s...though I don’t think of their stuff that decade as “80s music”

I think I understand what you are saying, and I get it, but I lived through the '80s as a high school/college type (graduated in '88) and R.E.M. was EXACTLY what we thought of as "'80s music" at the time, along with U2, Husker Du, The Clash, The Cure, The Smiths, New Order, Talking Heads, Van Halen, Def Leppard, Bruce Springsteen, etc. etc. What people generally refer to now as "'80s music", as a genre, was the krahp that the people who we thought had good taste didn't listen to, no matter how popular it might have been. We didn't at the time though think of the krahp as "'80s music," it was just aural blight, like much of what one hears today. Again, R.E.M. -- definitely not krahp -- was quintessential '80s music to us... it was not what you had heard in even the late '70s, which was a pretty forward-looking period. Thinking back to college, if I had to name two groups -- of all the fantastic groups of that time -- that seemed to capture the spirit of the mid-'80s for me and my friends, it would probably be R.E.M. and The Smiths, with all due respect to U2. Sometimes hard to believe that R.E.M. was at one time the biggest band on the planet, but from '87's Document through '91's Out of Time (or '92's Automatic for the People maybe, which is my favorite) they were. Even before that, from their first album through Life's Rich Pageant, they were the world's best college rock/indie band (are you an indie band if signed with I.R.S. records? I honestly don't know how that works.)

Speaking of Springsteen, Van Halen, R.E.M. and Def Leppard, I should add:

I'm on Fire by Bruce Springsteen

Panama by Van Halen

Let it Go by Def Leppard

Let's Go Crazy by Prince

Fall on Me by R.E.M.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 2

HSAS for the trifecta.

I was going to put an Asia song. You're right about that first album being a classic.

Thanks. People can say everything they want about Heat of The Moment and Sole Survivor as being great songs, which they are.

The deep track for me though is Wildest Dreams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0v3G0J5sKM

Edited by grep
  • Like 2

Fantasy - Aldo Nova

Talking In Your Sleep - The Romantics

8677309 - Tommy Tutone

Shaking - Eddie Money

If you're going to throw Talking in Your Sleep out there you have to add:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqnw5IfbZOU

And if you're going to mention Fantasy, you need:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs6iMer68co

I was going to mention What I Like About You but, honestly, I could fill this thread with songs.

The 80's was the best!!!

• Like 3

Too many to list from R.E.M. in the 80s...though I don’t think of their stuff that decade as “80s music”

I think I understand what you are saying, and I get it, but I lived through the '80s as a high school/college type (graduated in '88) and R.E.M. was EXACTLY what we thought of as "'80s music" at the time, along with U2, Husker Du, The Clash, The Cure, The Smiths, New Order, Talking Heads, Van Halen, Def Leppard, Bruce Springsteen, etc. etc. What people generally refer to now as "'80s music", as a genre, was the krahp that the people who we thought had good taste didn't listen to, no matter how popular it might have been. We didn't at the time though think of the krahp as "'80s music," it was just aural blight, like much of what one hears today. Again, R.E.M. -- definitely not krahp -- was quintessential '80s music to us... it was not what you had heard in even the late '70s, which was a pretty forward-looking period. Thinking back to college, if I had to name two groups -- of all the fantastic groups of that time -- that seemed to capture the spirit of the mid-'80s for me and my friends, it would probably be R.E.M. and The Smiths, with all due respect to U2. Sometimes hard to believe that R.E.M. was at one time the biggest band on the planet, but from '87's Document through '91's Out of Time (or '92's Automatic for the People maybe, which is my favorite) they were. Even before that, from their first album through Life's Rich Pageant, they were the world's best college rock/indie band (are you an indie band if signed with I.R.S. records? I honestly don't know how that works.)

Panama by Van Halen

Let it Go by Def Leppard

Let's Go Crazy by Prince

Fall on Me by R.E.M.

I graduated hs in ‘90 so I know what you mean. But think about smack dab in the middle of the 80s, 1985. Virtually nobody would’ve immediately said “Driver 8” is what they think of as 80s music. ((Imho, it just happened to be better than 95% of other music out at the time)). In 1985, people would’ve said something from U2, Michael Jackson, Van Halen, Duran Duran, Def Lepard, Men at Work, Prince, and the like.

• Like 2

Well, I am a child of the 60's so that is my favorite but 80's comes in second. So much cool stuff and MTV was fun to watch and see what all they came up with. I agree with so many other songs already posted but here are a few of my faves to add:

Human League Don't You Want Me, Fascination for starters

Howard Jones Things Can Only Get Better

Alive and Kicking Simple Minds

Eurythmics Would I Lie to You

Rock Me Amadeus Falco

Fixx One Thing Leads to Another

Mexican Radio Wall of Voodoo

Duran Duran Rio

The Police Syncronicity and just about anything else they did

Thompson Twins The Gap (album)

Murray Head One Night in Bangkok

Steppin Out Joe Jackson

Shock the Monkey Peter Gabriel

Pet Shop Boys What Have I Done to Deserve This

ABC How to be a Zillionaire (album) Poison Arrow

Owner of a Lonely Heart Yes

What's On Your Mind Information Society

Then of course Rush's 80's (but I didn't actually get into them until after that decade)

Grace Under Pressure is my fav album by them :heart:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 3

Panama by Van Halen

Let it Go by Def Leppard

Let's Go Crazy by Prince

Fall on Me by R.E.M.

I graduated hs in ‘90 so I know what you mean. But think about smack dab in the middle of the 80s, 1985. Virtually nobody would’ve immediately said “Driver 8” is what they think of as 80s music. ((Imho, it just happened to be better than 95% of other music out at the time)). In 1985, people would’ve said something from U2, Michael Jackson, Van Halen, Duran Duran, Def Lepard, Men at Work, Prince, and the like.

For lack of a better description, R.E.M.'s music was more organic than most of their contemporaries. They avoided most of the 1980's production techniques. Country grunge.

• Like 1