Why does Neil have to perform for it to be "RUSH"

Huge Ackman

Because the majority of Rush fans are more passionate about Rush than your average fan is about their favorite band, and the majority of those die-hard Rush fans would feel cheated, betrayed, and disrespected if the band were to continue on without any one of its three members as they've known the band only as Geddy, Alex, and Neil for over forty years. Not to mention Rush have stated multiple times that Rush is only those three, and replacements are out of the question.

Fans would not have it, the band have always said it wouldn't happen. There's no good reason for it to happen. They gave us forty years of their lives with barely a moment of rest aside from Neil's brief personal retreat. How is that not enough?

Fans would absolutely have it. You included. You're honestly telling me if Rush comes to your area, you're staying home because of the drummer? No. You'll be there with everyone else. I'm hoping for Peter Criss myself, in full makeup.

Geddy and Alex aren't Rush. Your question is illogical.

This is you admitting you'd go. You could've just said so forever ago. Rush's drummer is irrelevant. I'm hoping for Questlove myself.

No, that's me trolling you with semantics in response to you trolling me. I'm tired of this argument. Rush is Geddy, Alex, and Neil. As Rick said somewhere before, the fact that Rutsey was on the first album is irrelevant in light of the rest of their career. Rush's drummer is arguably more relevant than their guitarist. Alex isn't nearly as acclaimed as Neil.

Would I go if Geddy and Alex brought on a new drummer and decided to call it Rush? I would feel like someone punched me in the gut as two members of my favorite band proved they weren't as respectful and decent as I'd always thought they were. Honestly, yeah, part of me would still really want to go, not pass up hearing the two of them and some random guy play some of my favorite music ever, but another part of me would be completely pissed off and wouldn't want to support that tour by going to see a show. I'm unsure exactly what I would do. I would have to think about it for a while, and I'd probably have to read reviews from people who had gone to try to grasp how weird it would be to see "Rush" without Neil.

I honestly don't know if I would go, and because I don't know, you sure as heck have no clue if I would go or if anyone here would go other than yourself. So for the last time, lay off me and speak for yourself. You have come closer to pissing me off than anyone on here I can remember, and I'm not going to reply to your posts anymore. Have a nice day.

That's funny because the drummer you seem to think is so crucial, isn't at all respectful to you as a fan. Ironic, ain't it?

With the exception of fellow drummers who are as accomplished as NEP, if you blindfolded the long time fans of Rush and had any number of great, current drummers play, the vast majority of fans would not be able to tell that it wasn't NEP any more often than mere chance guessing. Lyrically, he is in his own category (but not always a good category), but musically, there are other drummers just as good, if not better.

Neil Peart has never disrespected me, nor have I ever heard of him disrespecting fans. It's perfectly acceptable to not want to talk to your fans, Neil is a highly introverted person and is extremely uncomfortable being treated like anything more than a regular person. As an introvert who has received a few compliments on my own musical abilities, I can relate. Fans who don't understand that Neil doesn't owe it to them to talk to them or to play more music for them are the ones who are being disrespectful. If I were to run into Neil somewhere in the world, I wouldn't disturb his privacy, and if I were given the opportunity to speak to him, I would just politely thank him for the music and the years of his life and have that be the end of the conversation about Rush unless he wanted to talk more about it.

Also, Neil is the greatest drummer of all time, 'nuff said. There are many imitators, and many other amazing drummers who come close, but no one tops the Professor in my book.

You need a bigger book.

Phil Rudd

Nicko McBrain

every jazz drummer who ever lived

Just for starters...

Clive Burr > Nicko McBrain.

Which makes him better than Neil too....

Adrian Smith > Dennis Stratton > Janick Gers

Bill Berry is top in my book :heart:

• Like 1

Because the majority of Rush fans are more passionate about Rush than your average fan is about their favorite band, and the majority of those die-hard Rush fans would feel cheated, betrayed, and disrespected if the band were to continue on without any one of its three members as they've known the band only as Geddy, Alex, and Neil for over forty years. Not to mention Rush have stated multiple times that Rush is only those three, and replacements are out of the question.

Fans would not have it, the band have always said it wouldn't happen. There's no good reason for it to happen. They gave us forty years of their lives with barely a moment of rest aside from Neil's brief personal retreat. How is that not enough?

The bolded part is just plain embarrassing. Grow up.

• Like 1

Fans would absolutely have it. You included. You're honestly telling me if Rush comes to your area, you're staying home because of the drummer? No. You'll be there with everyone else. I'm hoping for Peter Criss myself, in full makeup.

This is you admitting you'd go. You could've just said so forever ago. Rush's drummer is irrelevant. I'm hoping for Questlove myself.

No, that's me trolling you with semantics in response to you trolling me. I'm tired of this argument. Rush is Geddy, Alex, and Neil. As Rick said somewhere before, the fact that Rutsey was on the first album is irrelevant in light of the rest of their career. Rush's drummer is arguably more relevant than their guitarist. Alex isn't nearly as acclaimed as Neil.

Would I go if Geddy and Alex brought on a new drummer and decided to call it Rush? I would feel like someone punched me in the gut as two members of my favorite band proved they weren't as respectful and decent as I'd always thought they were. Honestly, yeah, part of me would still really want to go, not pass up hearing the two of them and some random guy play some of my favorite music ever, but another part of me would be completely pissed off and wouldn't want to support that tour by going to see a show. I'm unsure exactly what I would do. I would have to think about it for a while, and I'd probably have to read reviews from people who had gone to try to grasp how weird it would be to see "Rush" without Neil.

I honestly don't know if I would go, and because I don't know, you sure as heck have no clue if I would go or if anyone here would go other than yourself. So for the last time, lay off me and speak for yourself. You have come closer to pissing me off than anyone on here I can remember, and I'm not going to reply to your posts anymore. Have a nice day.

That's funny because the drummer you seem to think is so crucial, isn't at all respectful to you as a fan. Ironic, ain't it?

With the exception of fellow drummers who are as accomplished as NEP, if you blindfolded the long time fans of Rush and had any number of great, current drummers play, the vast majority of fans would not be able to tell that it wasn't NEP any more often than mere chance guessing. Lyrically, he is in his own category (but not always a good category), but musically, there are other drummers just as good, if not better.

Neil Peart has never disrespected me, nor have I ever heard of him disrespecting fans. It's perfectly acceptable to not want to talk to your fans, Neil is a highly introverted person and is extremely uncomfortable being treated like anything more than a regular person. As an introvert who has received a few compliments on my own musical abilities, I can relate. Fans who don't understand that Neil doesn't owe it to them to talk to them or to play more music for them are the ones who are being disrespectful. If I were to run into Neil somewhere in the world, I wouldn't disturb his privacy, and if I were given the opportunity to speak to him, I would just politely thank him for the music and the years of his life and have that be the end of the conversation about Rush unless he wanted to talk more about it.

Also, Neil is the greatest drummer of all time, 'nuff said. There are many imitators, and many other amazing drummers who come close, but no one tops the Professor in my book.

You need a bigger book.

Phil Rudd

Nicko McBrain

Just for starters...

Troll.

If you don’t mention Ringo Starr then you are a troll.

You need a bigger book.

Phil Rudd

Nicko McBrain

Just for starters...

Troll.

If you don’t mention Ringo Starr then you are a troll.

Piss off you. I was in a hurry!

He doesn't. How many people have been in Yes and they still go by that name. Rush isn't any more special than any other band regardless of what some of their fans think.

Agreed.

The bigger issue is Geddy's voice.

• Like 2

You have every right to tell me to grow up, I'm only 19, but that doesn't my statement any less correct.

Yes, many bands have continued on with different members. But a lot of them have been doing that for years so I think people are more accepting of it. What makes Rush different than the rest of them is that it was the same three people for 40 years. That's the big reason why it would be harder for many fans to support Neil being replaced and still being called Rush.

I just could not support a Neilless RUSH :Neil:

Even if it were Tim herb my other favorite drummer boy

If it were to happen you should at least give the album a listen. There's plenty of bands who have replaced original members and still produced great stuff with the replacement. Hey, isn't that exactly what Rush did after the first album? Obviously replacing someone after one album isn't the same as a person who's been there for 40 years. But Rush did replace someone already.

They more than likely will not continue without Neil but we as fans should give it a chance if it does happen. Wouldn't be the first time a band produced something good or even better than what they've done with with previous members.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

You have every right to tell me to grow up, I'm only 19, but that doesn't my statement any less correct.

Yes. It does.

Your statement isn't really that correct. Rush has a dedicated fan base but I don't think they're as passionate as you think. I saw them 12 times live starting with the T4E tour and the last with R40. The fans at the shows are just like any other big arena concert crowd. They go nuts for the five songs they know from the radio and then sit on their hands like a bunch of dopes when they play a new song or deep cut. They may be dedicated to the Rush name but the bulk of them sure aren't passionate enough to get to know anything about the band beyond the popular tunes.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Make a poll and settle this thing!
  • Like 2

I don't think we need a poll, just have EP post a picture of his birth certificate and we can do the subtraction ourselves.
  • Like 1

I don't think we need a poll, just have EP post a picture of his birth certificate and we can do the subtraction ourselves.

:eh:

I'm 19. I'm a college sophomore. What else could you possibly want to know about me?

I'm 19. I'm a college sophomore. What else could you possibly want to know about me?

You'd have to ask goose, he's the one who wants to run a poll to see if you're really 19...

You'd have to ask goose, he's the one who wants to run a poll to see if you're really 19...

I think he was saying we should make a poll asking if me being 19 makes my earlier post any more or less correct, which it doesn't. Y'all know as much about me as I'm comfortable putting on the internet, there will be no more.

Your statement isn't really that correct. Rush has a dedicated fan base but I don't think they're as passionate as you think. I saw them 12 times live starting with the T4E tour and the last with R40. The fans at the shows are just like any other big arena concert crowd. They go nuts for the five songs they know from the radio and then sit on their hands like a bunch of dopes when they play a new song or deep cut. They may be dedicated to the Rush name but the bulk of them sure aren't passionate enough to get to know anything about the band beyond the popular tunes.

That's pretty contrary to what I've always read about Rush and heard about the fanbase. And people sure as heck didn't sit on their hands when they broke out the deep cuts on the R40 tour.

Tell you what though, my argument still stands with or without the clause of Rush being the biggest cult band in the world, so I'll drop that because I'm sick of arguing over something that no one has much evidence on. The problem with Ged and Alex calling it Rush without Neil is simple. Neil has been probably the biggest name in the band for over 40 years. People associate Neil with Rush like they do Gene Simmons with Kiss. It isn't Rush without Neil, regardless of who played on the first album (which doesn't bear much resemblance to the music they put out after Neil joined the band).

And on top of all of that, the band said themselves they would never go on as Rush without all three members. That much isn't debatable. They said they won't, and I believe them, and I'd be disappointed in them if they lied. Case closed.

• Like 1

I think he was saying we should make a poll asking if me being 19 makes my earlier post any more or less correct, which it doesn't. Y'all know as much about me as I'm comfortable putting on the internet, there will be no more.

That's fine, I'm not looking for any personal details from anyone here, or even about the band.

• Like 1

Now I also know you’re from the south. :)

• Like 1

or is that what I want you to think ;)

• Like 1

It came out too natural. :)

• Like 1

;)

That's pretty contrary to what I've always read about Rush and heard about the fanbase. And people sure as heck didn't sit on their hands when they broke out the deep cuts on the R40 tour.

Tell you what though, my argument still stands with or without the clause of Rush being the biggest cult band in the world, so I'll drop that because I'm sick of arguing over something that no one has much evidence on. The problem with Ged and Alex calling it Rush without Neil is simple. Neil has been probably the biggest name in the band for over 40 years. People associate Neil with Rush like they do Gene Simmons with Kiss. It isn't Rush without Neil, regardless of who played on the first album (which doesn't bear much resemblance to the music they put out after Neil joined the band).

And on top of all of that, the band said themselves they would never go on as Rush without all three members. That much isn't debatable. They said they won't, and I believe them, and I'd be disappointed in them if they lied. Case closed.

You'd still go. People change their minds. Neil said he retired in '98. Then he didn't. I'm guessing Geddy and Alex will soon say, "Screw that miserable prick." Rush tour to follow. See ya there!

Back in the 70s Zeppelin was my favourite band.Then Bonzo died.After a while i accepted that they were finished after they announced theycouldn't continue.Then Rush became my fave.Now Neil is very much alive but is 'retired' shunning the Limelight.Even if he wrote the lyrics and helped out with drum arranging there is one word to describe both bands with all their original members(apologies to John Rutsey R.I.P.)and thats Chemistry.Now i have been in countless bands and band members come and ugo sometimes for the best,worst or just different.I am on the fence with the OP idea but i would love Alex and Ged to come up with a new project in the Avaideable Light.
  • Like 1

“It’s been a little over two years since Rush last toured. We have no plans to tour or record any more. We’re basically done. After 41 years, we felt it was enough.”

January 16, 2018.

• Like 2

If he were from the South he would have used the plural "all y'all", not the singular "y'all".
  • Like 1