Why does Neil have to perform for it to be "RUSH"

Huge Ackman

What I don't get is why any of you would want to see Rush with a different drummer. Isn't part of their appeal that it's the same three guys making all this incredible music for 40 years and evolving over time? At least that's part of it for me. If you just want to see that music played live, there are plenty of perfectly competent tribute bands you can go see for a lot less money than "Rush with a different drummer" would probably charge.

Because the one they've put up with for the last 4 decades is an over-playing, groove-less hack that writes juvenile lyrics that disgrace the music the other two created.

Nice to see you two agree!

He doesn't. How many people have been in Yes and they still go by that name. Rush isn't any more special than any other band regardless of what some of their fans think.

I don’t think that they are any more special. Rush has been a “continually working” band for more than 40 years with essentially the same personal working under the premiss of “we won’t do it unless we all agree”. It worked for 40 years. Why change now.

• Like 3

He doesn't. How many people have been in Yes and they still go by that name. Rush isn't any more special than any other band regardless of what some of their fans think.

I don’t think that they are any more special. Rush has been a “continually working” band for more than 40 years with essentially the same personal working under the premiss of “we won’t do it unless we all agree”. It worked for 40 years. Why change now.

Because it’s not working now.

Enjoy a well deserved retirement or change to a working model.

Geddy definitely seems like he wants to continue working.

Alex does to some extent too.

Many if not most Rush fans still would be open to it.

Those opposed are vocal but they seem like a minority (the poll in the Rush section shows this). Also, (I believe) most/nearly all of the opposed would still buy the new material and join the gigs.

• Like 1

Because the majority of Rush fans are more passionate about Rush than your average fan is about their favorite band, and the majority of those die-hard Rush fans would feel cheated, betrayed, and disrespected if the band were to continue on without any one of its three members as they've known the band only as Geddy, Alex, and Neil for over forty years. Not to mention Rush have stated multiple times that Rush is only those three, and replacements are out of the question.

Fans would not have it, the band have always said it wouldn't happen. There's no good reason for it to happen. They gave us forty years of their lives with barely a moment of rest aside from Neil's brief personal retreat. How is that not enough?

The bolded part is just plain embarrassing. Grow up.

You have every right to tell me to grow up, I'm only 19, but that doesn't my statement any less correct.

Make a poll and settle this thing!

I don't think we need a poll, just have EP post a picture of his birth certificate and we can do the subtraction ourselves.

:eh:

I'm 19. I'm a college sophomore. What else could you possibly want to know about me?

You'd have to ask goose, he's the one who wants to run a poll to see if you're really 19...

I think he was saying we should make a poll asking if me being 19 makes my earlier post any more or less correct, which it doesn't. Y'all know as much about me as I'm comfortable putting on the internet, there will be no more.

:LOL:

This would be the poll, funny guys...

Yes or No:

[As a] die-hard Rush fans would [you] feel cheated, betrayed, and disrespected if the band were to continue on without any one of its three members[?]

I was told I wasn't die hard (or even real) fan in another thread so feel free not to count my vote but I vote "not at all".

Did you know they have song called Totem? I doubt it. Lol. Your dumb.

Yep, and I have enough respect for their peak output to know it's sub par mediocre AOR fodder that would have embarrassed them in their mid 20s.

Im blocking you. You dont deserve to listen to Rush.

Face Up is a Rush song

All this fighting and nonsense is getting annoying. Can't we all just get along??

People are people so how should it beeeeee

That RNB and I should get along so awwwwwwfully

• Like 1

Because the majority of Rush fans are more passionate about Rush than your average fan is about their favorite band, and the majority of those die-hard Rush fans would feel cheated, betrayed, and disrespected if the band were to continue on without any one of its three members as they've known the band only as Geddy, Alex, and Neil for over forty years. Not to mention Rush have stated multiple times that Rush is only those three, and replacements are out of the question.

Fans would not have it, the band have always said it wouldn't happen. There's no good reason for it to happen. They gave us forty years of their lives with barely a moment of rest aside from Neil's brief personal retreat. How is that not enough?

The bolded part is just plain embarrassing. Grow up.

You have every right to tell me to grow up, I'm only 19, but that doesn't my statement any less correct.

Make a poll and settle this thing!

I don't think we need a poll, just have EP post a picture of his birth certificate and we can do the subtraction ourselves.

:eh:

I'm 19. I'm a college sophomore. What else could you possibly want to know about me?

You'd have to ask goose, he's the one who wants to run a poll to see if you're really 19...

I think he was saying we should make a poll asking if me being 19 makes my earlier post any more or less correct, which it doesn't. Y'all know as much about me as I'm comfortable putting on the internet, there will be no more.

:LOL:

This would be the poll, funny guys...

Yes or No:

[As a] die-hard Rush fans would [you] feel cheated, betrayed, and disrespected if the band were to continue on without any one of its three members[?]

I was told I wasn't die hard (or even real) fan in another thread so feel free not to count my vote but I vote "not at all".

Did you know they have song called Totem? I doubt it. Lol. Your dumb.

Yep, and I have enough respect for their peak output to know it's sub par mediocre AOR fodder that would have embarrassed them in their mid 20s.

Im blocking you. You dont deserve to listen to Rush.

Face Up is a Rush song

All this fighting and nonsense is getting annoying. Can't we all just get along??

People are people so how should it beeeeee

That RNB and I should get along so awwwwwwfully

Hella NICE Depeche Mode reference!! :cheers:

Edited by Permanent-Rush

Those opposed are vocal but they seem like a minority (the poll in the Rush section shows this). Also, (I believe) most/nearly all of the opposed would still buy the new material and join the gigs.

It IS working now more than ever. Especially if they all don’t agree about continuing. I agree that Geddy and Alex would probably like to continue performing which they could do with a replacement drummer playing from their existing catalog.

New “Rush” music couldn’t happen without all three of them so that is I mute point.

It IS working now more than ever. Especially if they all don’t agree about continuing. I agree that Geddy and Alex would probably like to continue performing which they could do with a replacement drummer playing from their existing catalog.

New “Rush” music couldn’t happen without all three of them so that is I mute point.

Not sure what you mean by “It IS working now more than ever.”

By “work” I mean...work. Making music. Writing. Recording. Possibly touring.

I’m satisfied with their current retirement. I don’t need Peart to come out of retirement or there to be a replacement drummer.

But people change, bands continue on, people retire, bands retire, people come out of retirement, people do one-offs, anything is possible. There is no moot point.

I thought Rush was done after Different Stages. So did they. And we got an additional (nearly 20 years). Clearly, we won’t get an additional 20, 10, or maybe even 1... but still.

Agreed.

The bigger issue is Geddy's voice.

Geddy lee has a awesome voice, Its just maturing with age

Some rusty pipes never hurt anybody. :geddy: FA LA LA LA LA

• Like 1

Also, Neil is the greatest drummer of all time, 'nuff said. There are many imitators, and many other amazing drummers who come close, but no one tops the Professor in my book.

Buddy Rich is easily greater! There are many objective arguments for that. :)

There are many arguments for that, sure. Objective? Nah man, there's not a single argument you can make about Buddy being better than Neil that would be considered objective.

This video is the best argument. What people see is mostly OBJECTIVE, but what people hear is mostly SUBJECTIVE. Neil (and any other rock drummer) hasn't done on drums anything, either studio or live, that can touch what this 68-year old man has done in this live performance:

http://www.facebook.com/jhonrickyoficial/videos/868310583254357/

Because Neil is Rush.

Bootsy Wootsy Wootsy??

http://www.speechbuddy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/speech121.jpg

• Like 1

If Alex and Geddy decide to hire another drummer and record and go on tour as Rush, it won't be mute at all. In fact, I'd say it would be pretty loud.

Someone's opinion on a message board would likely have zero influence on what they do or don't do and what they'd call themselves if they did it. Would you go see them or buy any of their music if they recorded and toured as Rush without Mr Magoo Neil?

Sorry...just have to interject. It's 'moot' point, not mute. 'Moot'.

Carry on...

• Like 4

Sorry...just have to interject. It's 'moot' point, not mute. 'Moot'.

Carry on...

my wayward son...

• Like 1

If Alex and Geddy decide to hire another drummer and record and go on tour as Rush, it won't be mute at all. In fact, I'd say it would be pretty loud.

Someone's opinion on a message board would likely have zero influence on what they do or don't do and what they'd call themselves if they did it. Would you go see them or buy any of their music if they recorded and toured as Rush without Mr Magoo Neil?

There’s not a single TRFer who wouldn’t listen to a Lee/Lifeson Rush without Peart. The name would be irrelevant since all of us would listen anyway. TRFers would of course go to the concerts too.

“It’s bs man! It just isn’t Rush without Peart” ((the TRFer then starts his car to head to the RUSH gig)

:P

• Like 2

I don't see why the beatles won't tour. can't we just stick in those assholes from oasis to sing john and george's stuff?

plant's not down for a zep reunion? call the bowling alley and hire the guy from kingdom come

• Like 1

one thing that would interest me about lee/lifeson touring with a different drummer is the possibility of seeing them in a more intimate setting. this wouldn't happen if they still toured under the rush moniker, and I doubt they'd want to go back to "down the tubes" venues after being millionaires for so long, but a small theater that seats about 1500-2000 people generally always has better acoustics than places that were designed for hockey games. a name change also rids them of the "requirement" to do certain songs.

I'd still buy a ticket if they toured as rush and replaced neil, but I think it's a lame move. that might make me a "fanboy" or something, not that I give a shit. or is it refusing to see rush without neil that makes one a "fanboy"? I've been out of the basement for too long

There’s not a single TRFer who wouldn’t listen to a Lee/Lifeson Rush without Peart. The name would be irrelevant since all of us would listen anyway. TRFers would of course go to the concerts too.

“It’s bs man! It just isn’t Rush without Peart” ((the TRFer then starts his car to head to the RUSH gig)

:P

Apparently there are a few knuckleheads. http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/105697-would-you-feel-cheated-betrayed-and-disrespected-of-rush-were-to-continue-on-without-any-one-of-their-three-members/

It’s different because I prefer Yes with Rabin, Sabbath with Dio and Purple with Coverdale. Rush wasn’t better with Rutsey. See?

;)

They weren't any worse......the debut is by no means their poorest album.

• Like 2

It’s different because I prefer Yes with Rabin, Sabbath with Dio and Purple with Coverdale. Rush wasn’t better with Rutsey. See?

;)

They weren't any worse......the debut is by no means their poorest album.

Yeah I don’t think so either.

Honestly, I think the debut destroys a few of the later albums despite my overall preference of Rush with Peart

• Like 2

If RUSH DID continue, some fans would comment that the band isn't up to par.

This would put additional pressure on the band to perform beyond their mental and physical capabilities, which would result in burnout at their age and beyond.

To quote The Clash:

Should I stay or should I go now?

If I go, there will be trouble

And if I stay it will be double

So come on and let me know

Should I stay or should I go

Don't dream...it's over - Crowded House

Some cannot accept that it's over and there's others who would criticize the band in every way for continuing...examples: concert DVD isn't great, sound on studio album isn't great, Geddy's voice is shot, Alex's subpar guitar playing because he fluffed notes and/or chords, Neil didn't catch a stick and/or missed that beat. It's done.

In a perfect world, I wish every single RUSH fan alive and/or dead would be satisfied that the band is done and quit posting unrealistic wishes that the band should continue or not.

If I was an admin or moderator, thread posts like this wouldn't even get off the ground. They would be shut down.

I recommend reading about 'radical acceptance' in relation to this thread.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

After the roaring silence, we need a musical interlude ... could someone please post up "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts" by Merv Griffin and his Orchestra.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Tinwoodsman

If RUSH DID continue, some fans would comment that the band isn't up to par.

This would put additional pressure on the band to perform beyond their mental and physical capabilities, which would result in burnout at their age and beyond.

To quote The Clash:

If I go, there will be trouble

And if I stay it will be double

So come on and let me know

Should I stay or should I go

To quote Neil:

The drummer slows his frantic pace

In pain and desperation

His aching limbs and downcast face

Aglow with perspiration