Great bands with weak vocalists?

Texas King

Motley Crue

Vince Neil - never liked his voice :no:

But you otherwise think they’re great?

I don't think they're great. They were the first band that popped into my head. I'm sure they are great to some people, somewhere...

Even Nikki Sixx said in an interview decades ago..

"Vince isn't the best vocalist in the world be he sure gets us a lot of pussy!"

I think Vince "had" a great voice. It's shot. Like Don Dokken. Sucks.

I met Vince In Vegas with the EX at The Wynn. 2006

We talked for about 5 minutes.

I told Vince right to his face.... "I don't care what anyone thinks Vince! I still think your vocals kick ass!" Vince looked at me with instant sadness and looked down at the floor. It's like I crushed his soul. I felt so bad. I gave Vince a hug and I apologized and he was cool and smiled.

I felt horrible.

:LOL:

What the hell were you thinking?!!

“I don’t care what anyone thinks Earl! You don’t suck!”

Now I feel sorry for Vince Neil and I actually think he DOES suck!

f**k JB I know! I felt like an idiot! I only had one beer in me! I was stupidly sober when I said that.

I told him how much I loved Motley Crue since the "Shout At The Devil" album came out when I was in high school!

Obviously JB I am a human with no filter. All the crap I heard over the years about Vince and his drunk voice.

I love his fuckking voice.

But like with most aging rock stars they all turn to shite.

It's sad but it's life.

• Like 1

dream theater

:rage: :boo hiss:

James La"Brie"

Even a cheese can sing better than him now.

DT is pure cheese now.

The D stands for Disney. The T stands for Tinker Bell. Dream Theater is shite.

Love,

Peter Pan

That's me!

I used to be married to Wendy! ;)

Hang me, shoot me, I don't give a f**k.

Amon Amarth would sound a billion times better with clean vocals in the vein of Jeff Scott Soto or Bruce Dickinson. The death growls doesn't really fit it.

And I'm not dissing Johann, he's an absolute sweetheart from what I've seen and heard. But I never liked that Cookie Monster stuff.

Then stop listening to Amon Amarth and go listen to some pussy ass weak radio metal like you always boast about for fcuk sake

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Hetfield has lost range and power over the years but he's not a weak singer. From Ride The Lightning through the Black Album he had one of the more powerful voices in metal.

Sorry to disagree. His voice just sounds limited and amateurish to me, especially on their earlier work. KEM he could get away with just screaming his head off and pretending he was a higher pitched Lemmy, but by AJFA he just sounds neutered to me. I actually like Load and Reload if only for the fact that James changes his approach to vocals on those albums and tries to sing with a little more emotion and passion rather than the raw aggression he'd relied on earlier. He isn't great at it still, but it's much more heartfelt to my ears.

His voice was great and influenced many. I still love the sound of his voice. Nick Holmes from Paradise Lost has a similar voice, but much better in my opinion.

• Like 1

Surprised no one has mentioned Mastodon.....outstanding musically, but vocally not terribly good.

Vocals suit the music perfectly in the studio.

I think vocals have to fit the attitude of the music. That's part of what makes rock music/pop music so appealing. I love the Clash, Joe Strummer's marbled growling is a perfect compliment to the attitude and purpose of the music. It's visceral, it's confident. Same for most vocalists. Ozzy is limited in his talent, but perfect for what he does.

The same goes for instrumental ability. I think Ringo Starr is an okay drummer, but the best drummer for the Beatles.

Rock and roll. Anyone can do it.

I think vocals have to fit the attitude of the music. That's part of what makes rock music/pop music so appealing. I love the Clash, Joe Strummer's marbled growling is a perfect compliment to the attitude and purpose of the music. It's visceral, it's confident. Same for most vocalists. Ozzy is limited in his talent, but perfect for what he does.

The same goes for instrumental ability. I think Ringo Starr is an okay drummer, but the best drummer for the Beatles.

This!

This!

This x2

Mick

• Like 1

This is why Metallica is damned as a band. They move away from the 80s, and they're labeled sellouts. But then their records have a bit of range to them (Load/Reload) and no one wants to pay attention. Hetfield showed more range on Load and Reload than Dave ever has. And I love Dave. But Dave's never written a Mama Said, Bleeding Me, Low Man's Lyric, etc. Even on Megadeth's more mainstream attempts (Breadline, Trust, etc.) he just doesn't have the voice for them. Great songs, sure, but not even close to what Hetfield brings to the more emotional material.
  • Like 3

This is why Metallica is damned as a band. They move away from the 80s, and they're labeled sellouts. But then their records have a bit of range to them (Load/Reload) and no one wants to pay attention. Hetfield showed more range on Load and Reload than Dave ever has. And I love Dave. But Dave's never written a Mama Said, Bleeding Me, Low Man's Lyric, etc. Even on Megadeth's more mainstream attempts (Breadline, Trust, etc.) he just doesn't have the voice for them. Great songs, sure, but not even close to what Hetfield brings to the more emotional material.

Load is a great album. I think its better than the black album. I enjoy Reload. I do agree that an album of the very best of both albums could have been a more easily marketable masterpiece.

But I love Load as it is.

• Like 4

Load is a great album. I think its better than the black album. I enjoy Reload. I do agree that an album of the very best of both albums could have been a more easily marketable masterpiece.

Black Album, Load and Hardwired are all fantastic in my book.

Mick

• Like 3

Black Album, Load and Hardwired are all fantastic in my book.

Mick

Throw in Puppets and Justice and you have my top five. Hardwired is likely my favourite Metallica album now, I played it out of curiosity and it blew my mind! Load is second, Puppets third, and Justice and black sorta fight it out. I prefer the sound of the black album, but song for song Justice is better.

• Like 2

Interesting question, with the term "weak vocalist". Roger Daultrey is a weak singer, IMO, but a perfect vocalist for the Who. That's kind of a rock thing, really.
  • Like 2

Interesting question, with the term "weak vocalist". Roger Daultrey is a weak singer, IMO, but a perfect vocalist for the Who. That's kind of a rock thing, really.

I agree. if you ask me......someone who enjoys musical theater......a huge chunk of rock vocalists are technically not great singers. but the format and the bands they're in.....they work,

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Motley Crue

Vince Neil - never liked his voice :no:

But you otherwise think they’re great?

I don't think they're great. They were the first band that popped into my head. I'm sure they are great to some people, somewhere...

But isn't the thread about great bands with weak vocalists, not just bands that have weak vocalists?

:huh:

• Like 1

Goddamned Axle Rose. Screechy whiny sumbitch.

With that comment, I now dub you an honorary Blaze brother. :blaze:

Three decades ago, the wise, elder BennyBlaze referred to Axl as “a spindly maggot who whines”. The rest of the Blaze bros laughed in agreement. Despite Axl’s 21st century bloating, the spindly maggot title remains.

All guests at a Blaze domicile must surrender all Guns N Roses gear upon entering. Any guest who professes allegiance to Axl will be executed immediately. Welcome to the jungle.

• Like 2

Did someone say "Best?" Pete Best!