Rest In Peace - Tom Petty Died

Lorraine

This is so frustrating. There's no updates I can find on how he's doing. After being led astray into thinking he was dead, I'd really like to know officially what state he's in right now.

Ironically, it's our demand for info that is the very thing that leads news outlets to rush and publish inaccuracies.

I'd say it's more that there are so many outlets, Twitter, Facebook, etc that the entertainment organizations (former known as news stations) try to cover all those bases and as quickly as possible so when they hear it on the scanner or get it from TMZ, they put it out there without checking the accuracy. TMZ doesn't really care but CBS, CNN, and the rest of them should care, but they're trying to compete with the TMZs of the world.

• Like 1

if you wanna shed a tear for him .. listen to room at the top ... it just got me

Wish I hadn't, but I listened to it.

http://youtu.be/nQFCF9KESic

there are just some songs that I can't listen to after i lose someone close to me .. I couldn't listen to Fire and Rain for quite a while after I lost my dad .... this song is probably on that list now .. when I hear it I'm always gonna think of losing someone way too soon ... RIP Tom Petty

• Like 2

if you wanna shed a tear for him .. listen to room at the top ... it just got me

Wish I hadn't, but I listened to it.

http://youtu.be/nQFCF9KESic

there are just some songs that I can't listen to after i lose someone close to me .. I couldn't listen to Fire and Rain for quite a while after I lost my dad .... this song is probably on that list now .. when I hear it I'm always gonna think of losing someone way too soon ... RIP Tom Petty

That's not unusual and you aren't alone. It took me years to listen to some music again, but it has to be done sooner or later. At least, for me it does. When my father died, it took me years to listen to A Man Needs A Maid (...When will I see you again?...) and Wichita Lineman. My eyes still immediately tear up upon hearing the latter. The latest song for me that I can't listen to but am inching my way towards doing so is To Live and Die In L.A.

• Like 1

The last few days have been cosmically "off", and I can definitely see why. Tom Petty was the first recognizable voice I heard on the radio when I was 3 or 4 years old. It always seemed that they played one of his songs while my mom took me to daycare. Hard to believe that those 20 years just went by so fast, still feels like yesterday I was listening to "Free Falling" for the first time.

Godspeed, Tom.

• Like 1

Sad news. I was never a huge fan and only recently finally started to warm up to him(past year or so). I even borrowed his Damn the Torpedoes from the local library not too long ago(over the summer)and enjoyed it quite a bit. A huge loss to rock n roll and music in general. RIP TP.
  • Like 2

This sucks. I just got over Walter Becker dying. :(

Yeah. The Petty thing has made it clear to me that classic rock is indeed in its death throws. It was a good run, though!

:cheers:

• Like 2

So glad I got to see Petty live. One of the best shows I've seen, and the Black Crowes were the opening act.

The setlist...

1. Listen to Her Heart
    Play Video

2. You Don't Know How It Feels
    (Tom Petty song) Play Video

3. Breakdown
    Play Video

4. Don't Do Me Like That
    Play Video

5. Free Fallin'

6. I Won't Back Down

7. Mary Jane's Last Dance
    Play Video

8. I'm Crying
    (The Animals cover) Play Video

9. Handle With Care
    (Traveling Wilburys cover) Play Video

10. Honey Bee

11. Melinda
    Play Video

12. Learning to Fly
    Play Video

13. Don't Come Around Here No More
    Play Video

14. Refugee
    Play Video

15. Runnin' Down a Dream

16. Encore:

17. You Wreck Me

18. Gloria
    (Them cover) Play Video

19. American Girl

Damn, now that's a good set. Did he ever open with You Wreck Me? That and Running Down a Dream just have the perfect show opener vibe.

• Like 1

So glad I got to see Petty live. One of the best shows I've seen, and the Black Crowes were the opening act.

The setlist...

1. Listen to Her Heart
    Play Video

2. You Don't Know How It Feels

3. Breakdown
    Play Video

4. Don't Do Me Like That
    Play Video

5. Free Fallin'

6. I Won't Back Down

7. Mary Jane's Last Dance
    Play Video

8. I'm Crying
    (The Animals cover) Play Video

9. Handle With Care
    (Traveling Wilburys cover) Play Video

10. Honey Bee

11. Melinda
    Play Video

12. Learning to Fly
    Play Video

13. Don't Come Around Here No More
    Play Video

14. Refugee
    Play Video

15. Runnin' Down a Dream

16. Encore:

17. You Wreck Me

18. Gloria
    (Them cover) Play Video

19. American Girl

Damn, now that's a good set. Did he ever open with You Wreck Me? That and Running Down a Dream just have the perfect show opener vibe.

When I saw him in 1999, the first three songs were Jammin Me, Runnin Down A Dream and Breakdown. What a way to start the show!

• Like 1

Yeah. The Petty thing has made it clear to me that classic rock is indeed in its death throws. It was a good run, though!

Yeah the last 5 years has really been nail after nail in the classic rock coffin..

Off the top of my head..

Bowie

Prince

Allman

Cornell

Jon lord

Wakeman

Lemmy

Becker

And now petty .. I think I'm even missing a few :(

Edited to add..

Glen Frey

Greg lake

Chris squire

George micheal

Leonard Cohen

Edited by Xanadoood

Yeah the last 5 years has really been nail after nail in the classic rock coffin..

Off the top of my head..

Bowie

Prince

Allman

Cornell

Jon lord

Wakeman

Lemmy

Becker

Edited to add..

Glen Frey

Greg lake

Chris squire

George micheal

Leonard Cohen

It's been brutal.

Keith Emerson

John Wetton

• Like 1

Back in December, Petty had told 'Rolling Stone' that the tour could be his “last big one.” “We’re all on the backside of our sixties,” he said. “I have a granddaughter now I’d like to see as much as I can. I don’t want to spend my life on the road. This tour will take me away for four months. With a little kid, that’s a lot of time.”

Neil Peart reflected related sentiments here.

Now the naysayer RUSH fans can understand why Neil wanted to stop after 40 years. The difference is Neil is able to spend time with family whereas Tom won't have that chance now.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

Off the top of my head..

Bowie

Prince

Allman

Cornell

Jon lord

Wakeman

Lemmy

Becker

Edited to add..

Glen Frey

Greg lake

Chris squire

George micheal

Leonard Cohen

It's been brutal.

Keith Emerson

John Wetton

Brutal isn't the word. Each death is a brutal reminder to myself of my own mortality and "could be at any time" demise.