Rest In Peace - Tom Petty Died

Lorraine

And I can't for the life of me figure out why Tom's death has so affected me. This has really broken me up. I can't stop thinking about him and hearing his music in my head - day and night. It's probably the recent emotional connection made, but I never realized how much good music he put out over the decades.
  • Like 2

And I can't for the life of me figure out why Tom's death has so affected me. This has really broken me up. I can't stop thinking about him and hearing his music in my head - day and night. It's probably the recent emotional connection made, but I never realized how much good music he put out over the decades.

Really remarkable how many great songs he put out. Quite a legacy.

• Like 3

This sucks. I just got over Walter Becker dying. :(

Yeah. The Petty thing has made it clear to me that classic rock is indeed in its death throws. It was a good run, though!

:cheers:

Yea... but the music lives on, even if it will only be the voices of spectral choirs. I guess I am officially getting old, all my musical heroes are dying off. What is even more frightening to me is that they are all the same age as my parents. So that makes me nervous. That will be even harder when THAT particular day comes.

I think it is because Tom was one of those guys who maybe didn't have a hardcore following but he had a hell of a singles following - his greatest hits is his biggest selling album in his catalog. People have lived through those songs. They punctuate moments in our lives, even if they were only in the background. I have memories attached to many of his songs that go back to my early youth straight up through high school, and beyond. So while it may be cheesy, he was a soundtrack to many lives.

• Like 1

Yeah. The Petty thing has made it clear to me that classic rock is indeed in its death throws. It was a good run, though!

Yeah the last 5 years has really been nail after nail in the classic rock coffin..

Off the top of my head..

Bowie

Prince

Allman

Cornell

Jon lord

Wakeman

Lemmy

Becker

And now petty .. I think I'm even missing a few :(

Edited to add..

Glen Frey

Greg lake

Chris squire

George micheal

Leonard Cohen

It's been brutal.

Keith Emerson

John Wetton

Wakeman?? He is still alive. But yea, brutal.

I think it is because Tom was one of those guys who maybe didn't have a hardcore following but he had a hell of a singles following - his greatest hits is his biggest selling album in his catalog. People have lived through those songs. They punctuate moments in our lives, even if they were only in the background. I have memories attached to many of his songs that go back to my early youth straight up through high school, and beyond. So while it may be cheesy, he was a soundtrack to many lives.

He first became the backdrop of my life in the seventies when I was in my early twenties. I'm now 63 and he's still there. Or was. So over half my life I've had him there, even if only in the shadows.

• Like 1

i know why his death affects me. Believe it or not i didn't start listening to him regularly till late 2015. but he's always been in my life one way or the other. when i was little the big song was still Free Falliin' and the played the video almost daily. that and Don't come around here no more.

Add to that my uncle was a HUGE Traveling Willburys fan. and had their first record spinning basically on a loop in his home.

add to that i always just liked his personality.

yea this loss is a big one. a constant in music is just not there anymore.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

i know why his death affects me. Believe it or not i didn't start listening to him regularly till late 2015. but he's always been in my life one way or the other. when i was little the big song was still Free Falliin' and the played the video almost daily. that and Don't come around here no more.

Add to that my uncle was a HUGE Traveling Willburys fan. and had their first record spinning basically on a loop in his home.

add to that i always just liked his personality.

yea this loss is a big one. a constant in music is just not there anymore.

Mick

I was thinking of a memory from the very early days of MTV- his song You Got Lucky. It was played a LOT on MTV in 1982 and '83.

I love the guitar tone in that song. It is just huge.

(And so was the guitar it was played on, if I remember correctly).

• Like 1

a constant in music is just not there anymore.

Here I go crying again...

Honestly, I don't know what's happened to me. I never cry; the past few months, that's all I've been doing.

I can't get that piano in Straight Into Darkness out of my mind either. The piano and that guitar - cuts right into my heart.

Edited by Lorraine

The other thing too I wanted to bring up - Mike Campbell. The man is good on that guitar. That he was content to be in Tom's shadow for all of his career is amazing. He deserves a lot of recognition as a guitar player.

Mike with Tom was a huge ingredient as to why Tom worked so well. That sound they made.

Miick

• Like 2

I'm going to have to start collecting his albums. A greatest hits compile wouldn't be enough for me because the songs I love aren't considered his "greatest" hits.

Tom petty is......sigh......was....god i hate that. anyway. a rare artists who.....IMO......had no bad albums. every one is enjoyable to me.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

I'm going to have to start collecting his albums. A greatest hits compile wouldn't be enough for me because the songs I love aren't considered his "greatest" hits.

Tom petty is......sigh......was....god i hate that. anyway. a rare artists who.....IMO......had no bad albums. every one is enjoyable to me.

Mick

I have five and plan to get them all.

Wildflowers is my favourite.

• Like 2

Yeah the last 5 years has really been nail after nail in the classic rock coffin..

Off the top of my head..

Bowie

Prince

Allman

Cornell

Jon lord

Wakeman

Lemmy

Becker

And now petty .. I think I'm even missing a few :(

Edited to add..

Glen Frey

Greg lake

Chris squire

George micheal

Leonard Cohen

It's been brutal.

Keith Emerson

John Wetton

Wakeman?? He is still alive. But yea, brutal.

Doh!!

I just noticed that. My bad. Apologies to Mr. Wakeman. I was thinking of Emerson.

Just ordered Full Moon Fever! :codger:

One does not make a collection, but I'm on my way! :)

I love this. Wildflowers too!

Me and you can work our way through the lot! I have five albums and each have taken hold in my heart.

• Like 2

Just ordered Full Moon Fever! :codger:

One does not make a collection, but I'm on my way! :)

I love this. Wildflowers too!

Me and you can work our way through the lot! I have five albums and each have taken hold in my heart.

Yesterday I was going to order The Live Anthology. It's sitting in my out bucket. What should I do? They had only one left at $19.99. All the others were cost prohibitive.

I really wanted a live dvd of his, but I can't seem to find any that don't cost way more than I'd ever spend on any band.

• Like 1

I was listening to Into the great Wide open. and Alll the Wrong Reasons came on. i don't know why that's the song that did me in......but i started tearing up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg0KEHEYwqc

Mick

When all is said and done, when there has been nothing and no one else there for me when I desperately needed someone or something, there's been music. Always.

• Like 1

I was listening to Into the great Wide open. and Alll the Wrong Reasons came on. i don't know why that's the song that did me in......but i started tearing up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg0KEHEYwqc

Mick

When all is said and done, when there has been nothing and no one else there for me when I desperately needed someone or something, there's been music. Always.

Right on......couldn't have put it better.

Mick

• Like 1