Rock isn't dead, what is the best way to keep it alive?

fraroc

The topic of "is rock dead" is CONSTANTLY discussed and talked about. Mostly it's consisted of middle aged guys and debbie downers (such as how I was) bemoaning modern music and declaring that good music is dead and not coming back. Since I've had my epiphany almost a year ago where I discovered a shitton of great new rock and metal bands, I've accepted that not only is rock alive, but is alive and well in some aspects of life.

My question is, what are some measures that we as fans can take to ensure the long term survival of the genre? My personal opinion is that we should support their live productions. If there really is no money to be made in record sales anymore, the best way to support rock acts is to see them live as much as possible and be a part of their cult following.

I'll be honest - I'm a middle-aged guy who has not yet found any new bands that can compare with the 'classics' I grew up with.

As for keeping Rock alive? Support new bands - BUY their music, buy their merch, go see them live.

• Like 2

This topic again fraroc?

Agree with everyone else about supporting newer bands you like in whatever way you financially can. Obviously the support of just one person won't keep a newer band afloat for long but at least as a fan you'll be doing your part. Letting people know about a band may help as well. Maybe you can gain them some new fans. Of course it's up to that person to give them a shot.

This is the last great rock song.

Rock died in the late 1990's. Listen to all that great music from before 1990. GET OFF MY LAWN!

Edited by JohnRogers
  • Like 2

Then there's the additional discussion of "What is 'rock'?" Many times TRFers can't even agree...dissecting a genre into a million other genres. So how can a genre be saved if people can't even agree what is in the genre itself?

It's a non-issue.

Music evolves.

Make and/or listen to music that you enjoy.

Don't worry about what category it falls under.

• Like 3

I'll be honest - I'm a middle-aged guy who has not yet found any new bands that can compare with the 'classics' I grew up with.

As for keeping Rock alive? Support new bands - BUY their music, buy their merch, go see them live.

Me too - the bit I highlighted...

...but then again, I'm a cat.

Edited by Babycat

Rock is not dead. Your definition of rock may be too narrow to appreciate what is out there or your circles you run in may not have anyone that listens to different music than you do.
  • Like 1

Fraroc, there are more important things in life. Don't waste the best years of yours fretting over something like this.

No!

Someone must be vigilant or one day we'll all wake up realizing rock is dead and wonder "when did that happen"?

Fraroc, there are more important things in life. Don't waste the best years of yours fretting over something like this.

No!

Someone must be vigilant or one day we'll all wake up realizing rock is dead and wonder "when did that happen"?

Sorry I missed your 22222. Must've been a sight to behold. Looks like z's.

Edited by Lorraine

No!

Sorry I missed your 22222. Must've been a sight to behold. Looks like z's.

I'm sure it was a valuable contribution to the TRF discussions.

The Internet has had an impact on the music industry in general.

Whether it's performing live, manufacturing and selling of musical instruments, and how music is purchased these days.

All of the above are intertwined and rely on the other for the purpose of 'music creation'.

As well, hip hop has dethroned rock as most consumed music genre according to here. However this is debatable.

The hip hop artists have a creative entrepreneurial drive to get their music to the masses that rock acts perhaps lack.

The Killers’ Brandon Flowers says new rock bands aren’t popular because they’re not “good enough”

Edited by RushFanForever

It's topics like this why i've slowed on coming here. not because of the question itself. iit's cause it's now boring. HOW MANY TIMES ARE WE GONNA COVER THE SAME GROUND.......move on. or date someone.

Seriously.

Rock is fine......go have a cookie.

Mick

• Like 2