NEW BAND: Billy Sheehan (bass), Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal (guitar), Mike Portnoy (drums), Jeff Scott Soto (vocals), Derek Sherinian (keyboards)

treeduck

Believe me, I've given DT plenty of chances to wow me, over the last....25 years at least. All the way back to Images And Words, people have been trying to get me into them.

I listen.

I love that they are influenced by Rush, and a lot of other prog/art rock, and metal bands I love.

Apparently, I just don't like what THEY do.

End of story.

And it's not for lack of trying.

This is pretty much how I feel. I listened to a lot of Dream Theater with a low rate of return. Obviously, they are technically great musicians. Personally, I find no soul in the music. To my ears it sounds calculated, very machine like. It's supposed to be emotional and organic, it just sounds manipulative and artificial.

• Like 1

Ok here's a quick round up of albums I'm after over the next 3 months or so:

Dokken – Beast From the East [Rock Candy Remaster] (August 12) ORDERED

Marty Friedman – Wall of Sound (August 4) ORDERED

Accept – Rise of Chaos (August 4) ON THE WAY

Steven Wilson – To the Bone (August 18) ORDERED

Threshold – Legend of the Shires (September 8)

Black Country Communion – BCCIV (September 23)

Revolution Saints – Light in the Dark (October 13)

Europe – Walk the Earth (October 20)

Sons of Apollo – Psychotic Symphony (October 20)

Sweet & Lynch – Unified (November 10)

Believe me, I've given DT plenty of chances to wow me, over the last....25 years at least. All the way back to Images And Words, people have been trying to get me into them.

I listen.

I love that they are influenced by Rush, and a lot of other prog/art rock, and metal bands I love.

Apparently, I just don't like what THEY do.

End of story.

And it's not for lack of trying.

This is pretty much how I feel. I listened to a lot of Dream Theater with a low rate of return. Obviously, they are technically great musicians. Personally, I find no soul in the music. To my ears it sounds calculated, very machine like. It's supposed to be emotional and organic, it just sounds manipulative and artificial.

I also fall in this camp. On paper I should love them. But I do not.

Doesn't help that James LaBrie's voice grates on me, which is weird coming from a guy who loves Geddy.

• Like 2

To the ones who don't like Dream Theater and are posting here: I know you don't need me to tell you this, but it's 100% ok not to like them!!! I have a lot of friends whose tastes in music are similar to mine, and yet they can't stand Petrucci and his gang, in any of their "eras". That shouldn't stop you from checking out their side projects though, some of which sound way more "organic" than Dream Theater. And I include there not just Portnoy's gazillion projects, but also The Jelly Jam and some guest appearances by James Labrie. And it's ok if you don't like those either!!!Can you imagine how boring we'd be if we all liked the exact same things?
  • Like 2

There is something with the tone of this bands line up that doesn't sound right. I think its with sheehans bass. I love Billy Sheenhans bass playing, but I think I understand why Myung has the tones he has. There are too many great players competing here. Ron is an exceptional player ( a vid of him xplaining malmsteen's technique is wonderful) as all the members are in this line up, but it still doesnt guarantee exceptional music.

Many go on about Petrucci and dream theater being great. But for me as D.T. went on in their career, their music sounded more and more like exercises in ...well musical exercises, and not expression. Not much soul or feel. This new band seems to have a bit more feel, (not much though), but the tone at the mo seems amiss imo.

• Like 2

Too bad it's not Kevin Moore but I will buy it.

Mr Moore had the best songwriting sensibilities for me, he at least restrained the widdle a liddle.

I agree. But we're talking about the Kevin Moore of 1992. He's changed his style so much!!! The type of music he plays these days is more like ambient music than anything else. And he's focusing on his medical career, not in music anymore.

• Like 1

Too bad it's not Kevin Moore but I will buy it.

Mr Moore had the best songwriting sensibilities for me, he at least restrained the widdle a liddle.

I agree. But we're talking about the Kevin Moore of 1992. He's changed his style so much!!! The type of music he plays these days is more like ambient music than anything else. And he's focusing on his medical career, not in music anymore.

Yep I agree. As I see it band members inspire enrage or feed off each other, and when its balanced or gets that magick going, great music results. Early on in Dream theaters career I think they had that mystery essence, and Moore was part of it. Take mangini now, as great as he is the dynamic is not there and to my ears this new line up of Portnoy is the same for different reasons - we will see. Its almost like make bands by numbers, and it doens't always follow. I thought the Winery dogs had great potential having excellent chemistry. Portnoy seems to have a lot of fingers in pies - focusing on different things.

Pretty soon Portnoy will be in every single band, lol

Mick

Yeah if ever there was a clear case of A.D.D. thar she blows.

I wish he'd stick with one side project and not 10,000 of them.

Maybe he just likes releasing debut albums?

• Like 1

Mick

like someone mentioned there's only three i care about

1. Neal Morse Band

2. Flying Colors

3. Transatlantic.

but seriously whenever he announces one nowadays. i think so you'll be leaving the band next week than?lol

Mick

• Like 2

There is something with the tone of this bands line up that doesn't sound right. I think its with sheehans bass. I love Billy Sheenhans bass playing, but I think I understand why Myung has the tones he has. There are too many great players competing here. Ron is an exceptional player ( a vid of him xplaining malmsteen's technique is wonderful) as all the members are in this line up, but it still doesnt guarantee exceptional music.

Many go on about Petrucci and dream theater being great. But for me as D.T. went on in their career, their music sounded more and more like exercises in ...well musical exercises, and not expression. Not much soul or feel. This new band seems to have a bit more feel, (not much though), but the tone at the mo seems amiss imo.

I like how Myung can basically play anything he wants yet oftentimes doubles up Petrucci to keep the mix sounding heavy.

In comparison Sheehan- from what I've heard of him- Is just off in his own dimension and doesn't add too much to the overall song.

Technically-speaking of course he can play but I guess I feel about Sheehan how some of you guys feel about DT.

• Like 2

Mick

1. Neal Morse Band

2. Flying Colors

3. Transatlantic.

but seriously whenever he announces one nowadays. i think so you'll be leaving the band next week than?lol

Mick

I own the first Flying Color disc and the live concert DVD they put out around the same time.

I much MUCH prefer Casey's vocals to the other guy (Is it Neal Morse??) Too bad they give him so much lead time.

• Like 1

Mick

1. Neal Morse Band

2. Flying Colors

3. Transatlantic.

Mick

I own the first Flying Color disc and the live concert DVD they put out around the same time.

I much MUCH prefer Casey's vocals to the other guy (Is it Neal Morse??) Too bad they give him so much lead time.

yea That's often i complaint i hear about Neal. but i love the guy's work.

so i'm biased. but yea Casey's a great vocalist.

i hope they make a new Flying Colors abum someday.

you need to hear the 2nd record. Second Nature. it's better than the first.

Mick

To the ones who don't like Dream Theater and are posting here: I know you don't need me to tell you this, but it's 100% ok not to like them!!! I have a lot of friends whose tastes in music are similar to mine, and yet they can't stand Petrucci and his gang, in any of their "eras". That shouldn't stop you from checking out their side projects though, some of which sound way more "organic" than Dream Theater. And I include there not just Portnoy's gazillion projects, but also The Jelly Jam and some guest appearances by James Labrie. And it's ok if you don't like those either!!!Can you imagine how boring we'd be if we all liked the exact same things?

Yep I don't think Rick got my point fully. I was not trying to dismiss his opinion. In fact many have that very same opinion about Dream Theater.

I am totally not a person who tries to convince someone to like a band.....my god I am a rabid Rush fan... However I never was one to push and force and argue about their greatness with anyone. That's annoying.

My post was simply an observational post on a scathing opinion about DT. And the incredible irony of it being on a Rush message board as our beloved lads from Toronto were hearing, reading and getting the same exact type of scathing opinions on their own brand of rock.

That was it.

I could care less if anyone likes or dislikes a band. Art is purely subjective. But I thought the point of message boards was to discuss our opinions about music and also share some bands we may think someone else might enjoy being.....and i think we can all agree on this that we all have very similar tastes in music.

Otherwise we would not be here.

• Like 3

I like how Myung can basically play anything he wants yet oftentimes doubles up Petrucci to keep the mix sounding heavy.

In comparison Sheehan- from what I've heard of him- Is just off in his own dimension and doesn't add too much to the overall song.

Technically-speaking of course he can play but I guess I feel about Sheehan how some of you guys feel about DT.

Yeah exactly,

Yep I don't think Rick got my point fully. I was not trying to dismiss his opinion. In fact many have that very same opinion about Dream Theater.

I am totally not a person who tries to convince someone to like a band.....my god I am a rabid Rush fan... However I never was one to push and force and argue about their greatness with anyone. That's annoying.

My post was simply an observational post on a scathing opinion about DT. And the incredible irony of it being on a Rush message board as our beloved lads from Toronto were hearing, reading and getting the same exact type of scathing opinions on their own brand of rock.

That was it.

I could care less if anyone likes or dislikes a band. Art is purely subjective. But I thought the point of message boards was to discuss our opinions about music and also share some bands we may think someone else might enjoy being.....and i think we can all agree on this that we all have very similar tastes in music.

Otherwise we would not be here.

If I didn't get your point fully, and you weren't being dismissive of someone saying they really dislike Dream Theater, and if the point of a message board is to discuss opinions, why would you "laugh [your] f*cking @ss off," at someone's opinion? Why not just say that you like Dream Theater and disagree that they suck? Even try and explain why you think they don't suck? You wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if you told me you don't share my opinion. Arguing vigorously about why you don't share it won't either. People on this board have posted scathing opinions of The Beatles, the Stones, Zeppelin and any number of almost universally loved bands. Here's my opinion: Dream Theater isn't in any of those band's class. Here's something I think is a fact: The people on this board have very diverse musical tastes. For some reason, the Rush prog era fans seem to think we're all prog fans. We're not. And that's OK. It's not ironic to say a band stinks just because some people think Rush stinks. Regardless of who that band is influenced by.

Sigh.......ok.

Anyway....we can move on. It's flying over your head.

LMFAO at the irony not your opinion.

Holy shit man.

Edited by Todem

Sigh.......ok.

Anyway....we can move on. It's flying over your head.

LMFAO at the irony not your opinion.

Holy shit man.

Yeah, I guess it is over my head. Because you're saying my opinion is what's ironic. Maybe you just don't understand your own post.

This was the problem with Roth's solo band too. Sheehan and Vai are basically the same guy. Great players, but bloodless.