In the Fullness of Time: A Look Back at Clockwork Angels on its 5th Anniversary

Jag2112

No.

Except The Anarchist...and maybe The Garden.

Other than that...

it is a silly album.

So,

No.

• Like 2

I thought it was a silly over hyped mess when it was released. Over hyped here i mean.

5 years on it is what i thought. A fairly good album by any other band. but not even close to passible as a Rush record. and i STILL say that production job should be considered a legit crime.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 6

No.

Except The Anarchist...and maybe The Garden.

Other than that...

it is a silly album.

So,

No.

I thought it was a silly over hyped mess when it was released. Over hyped here i mean.

5 years on it is what i thought. A fairly good album by any other band. but not even close to passible as a Rush record. and i STILL say that production job should be considered a legit crime.

Mick

What they said.

By the way, Mick, I heard Angry Young Man this morning in the store. It was hard for me to keep still - the foot kept pounding and then the hands started on the shopping cart. No matter what though, as soon as I heard the first few notes, I thought of you, and now will probably never be able to listen to him without thinking of you.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

It's no Permanent Waves and I doubt it would make my Top Ten Rush Albums list, if I had time to consider such trivialities.

In celebration of the 5th anniversary of Clockwork Angels, I've (finally) penned my retrospective review of the album.

You can access the review via this link: http://news.cygnus-x1.net/2017/06/in-fullness-of-time-look-back-at.html

I'm still in disbelief that it has been five years already. Time Stand Still!

Enjoy-

John

Thanks so much for sharing...that's a great review of a great, great record.

I'm one of those who believe it to be among the best things they've ever done- it can easily go head-to-head with anything else in their catalog.

I'm really not sold on the whole 'steampunk' backdrop- that aspect of the story, I really couldn't care any less about. But the lyrics, the songwriting, the execution...it really is a thing of wonder.

In my opinion.

• Like 8

It's waaaay up there for me. Not as high as their peak (1980-87) but damn close. Definitely in my Top 10.

That said ... MAN I wish they'd laid off the F*****n compression and limiting. The record could sound SO much better.

• Like 7

It's waaaay up there for me. Not as high as their peak (1980-87) but damn close. Definitely in my Top 10.

That said ... MAN I wish they'd laid off the F*****n compression and limiting. The record could sound SO much better.

that was always my biggest gripe. opinions about the music aside. it sounds like CRAP. Utter crap.

i can't fathom how it passed inspection.

Mick

• Like 3

that was always my biggest gripe. opinions about the music aside. it sounds like CRAP. Utter crap.

i can't fathom how it passed inspection.

Mick

Stupid "loudness wars" BS. In another decade, even the 2000s, this never would have happened. It might have been compressed, but not as much. UGH.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 4

TIL: A lot of the members of The Rush Forum do NOT like Clockwork Angels :) Well, to each his own. Hey, at the end of the day, we're all Rush fans for a variety of reasons. Not every album resonates with every fan, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just glad we can all share our opinions without demeaning those who disagree with us.

-John

• Like 2

This album is amazing, all the songs are perfect and the lyrics are wonderful.

The production is wonderful imho, how can u all hate it??

Also the story is nice too. I love how Neil was trying to tell a story through an album, it warms my heart :heart:

Well, one of the elements of that production, unfortunately, is the mastering. There's a big difference in sound between even Snakes and Clockwork..where things sit in the mix. Some of this is really subtle stuff, but some of it can be noticed if you've got a really good sound system.

I know the thing that gets my goat about this is that the music is SO good, it deserves to sound better. It's a very loud release, and although there are dynamics in there, It could be even MORESO. :)

I agree w/you that the songs are tremendous.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 6

This album is amazing, all the songs are perfect and the lyrics are wonderful.

The production is wonderful imho, how can u all hate it??

Also the story is nice too. I love how Neil was trying to tell a story through an album, it warms my heart :heart:

Well, one of the elements of that production, unfortunately, is the mastering. There's a big difference in sound between even Snakes and Clockwork..where things sit in the mix. Some of this is really subtle stuff, but some of it can be noticed if you've got a really good sound system.

I know the thing that gets my goat about this is that the music is SO good, it deserves to sound better. It's a very loud release, and although there are dynamics in there, It could be even MORESO. :)

I agree w/you that the songs are tremendous.

Agreed

• Like 4

Production wise clearly not one of their finest (actually one of their poorest).

But song wise...I am a big fan.

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

Halo Effect

The Garden

All just really great Rush songs. That is 8 tunes I can listen to anytime.

The others in the context of the album are also good tunes.

Not a weak track on the record IMO. Something they had not pulled off since Hold Your Fire (Yeah I enjoy every single track including the much maligned Tai Shan and High Water LOL).

• Like 3

It's their best effort since the 80s for sure. My fave since power windows. Lots of great songs with some really rushy moments (natural moments not "throw in the hemispheres chord" fake ones) for the first time in a long time. My fave songs on it are clockwork Angels, the anarchist, carnies, halo effect, the wreckers, headlong flight, and the garden. Caravan and bu2b are solid. The rest are more filler for me which are really only 2 songs seven cities and wtw. W/o the filler I would rank it fen higher. Production/mastering/mixing could be better but no deal breakers.
  • Like 3

It's no Permanent Waves and I doubt it would make my Top Ten Rush Albums list, if I had time to consider such trivialities.

Think about it next time you are on the Crapper.

When JR is on the crapper his plate is full. Uh...I mean...yeah.

:LOL:

• Like 1

It's like packing 10 pounds of music into a 5 pound bag. It's an okay album, plenty to enjoy, plenty to not. Each of us probably enjoys different groups of songs which is pretty impressive when you think about it. Rush's legacy is not tarnished by Clockwork Angels, not at all.
  • Like 4

I think I said it before when CA completed 01 or 02 years - it´s the best album they could have released then, considering their abilities at the time, how they aged etc. It´s not an album I go back to very often, but I´ll do it very soon.

I think it could've sounded so much better. I agree completely about the production being very poor. The wall of sound is very fatiguing for the ear. The songs are fair to good. This album would've been much better if it were another band doing it but because it is Rush, it knocks the factor down by half. As Rush albums go, it's just a hair under TFE and RTBs to me.
  • Like 3

Honestly for me the album starts superbly (Caravan & BU2B) and ends with great passion (Wish Them Well & The Garden), but everything in-between hovers between unremarkable and bad to my ears. The only other songs I like are the last two singles (The Wreckers & The Anarchist). I guess having 6 great songs out of 12 isn't terrible, but as far as I am concerned it was a huge drop off from Snakes & Arrows and the worst album the band had done since the 1970s. For me, it was kind of a sad note to leave off on. The loudness doesn't help either. To this date the only two albums that are only available with loud & compressed terrible mastering in the RUSH catalogue are this one and Vapor Trails (yes the remixed version is still loud, albeit less so).
  • Like 2