Best covers you have ever heard

fraroc

Boris' cover of the My Bloody Valentine's "Sometimes" is my personal GCOAT (that's "greatest cover of all time") because they turned it into a drone metal song while being just as dreamy and lush as the original if not more...it's like submerging yourself in the ocean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HhSS1hUUjQ

This is brilliant

The original is great, of course, but this version is amazing ..

One of the few covers (if not the only one I've heard of so far) I think is as equally fantastic to the original. They re-recorded it last year for a strange and unconventional collaboration double album w/Merzbow (simply put, you have to play both discs at the same time and adjust the mix based on preference to get the desired effect) and while compositionally it's nearly the same as on the Yellow Loveless tribute album, the vocal take on this new one isn't as awesome IMO. Still, this new one's a great cover in its own right. It's just not as mindblowing like their first stab at covering it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q432LMiFU3s

• Like 2

My favorite that hasn't been mentioned already (being Hallelujah and Hurt and isn't Jimi's All Along the Watchtower or Joe's With a Little Help from my Friends) would be REM's cover of Wire's Strange. Good covers respectfully turn the original on its head. I love the original but I also love how REM successfully turned it into a great pop song. Not that Wire couldn't write a good pop song as there were plenty on Pink Flag, but they recorded Strange as a tongue in cheek trudge; REM kept a bit of the tongue in cheek but removed the trudge.

The original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeoYEgPjRJM

And REM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSZrmoNRgHQ

Edited by Rutlefan

My next favorite, following the MBV covers earlier, is their cover of Wire's Map Ref. 41N 93W. The original is one of the best post-punk/pop-punk songs by anyone, but MBV puts their own cool twist on it. I just love the harmonies.

• Like 1

The '80s thread made me want to listen to INXS's "Don't Change" and I stumbled across this. Great job! Give the People What They Want!

Listening to Soundgarden's Echo of Miles today. I completely forgot they covered Spinal Tap's Big Bottom. What an awesome band they were. :(

:yes:

3 pages in and no one has mentioned You Really Got Me by Van Halen (The Kinks)? Seriously?

Saw Soundgarden do Waiting For The Sun (The Doors) in concert and absolutely kill it.

Jeff Healey, Confidence Man (John Hiatt)

Jimi Hendrix, All Along The Watchtower (Bob Dylan)

The Byrds, Mr. Tambourine Man (Bob Dylan)

Find Heart with Jason Bonham on drums doing Stairway to Heaven at the Kennedy Center Honors (honoring Zep). In fact most any Heart doing Zep is worthy.

Cream, Born Under A Bad Sign (Willie Dixon)

Creedence Clearwater Revival, I Put A Spell On You (Screamin' Jay Hawkins)

Stevie Ray, Voodoo Chile (Jimi of course)

etc.

etc.

etc.

(I can do this all day, just like deep cuts)

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 2

Listening to Soundgarden's Echo of Miles today. I completely forgot they covered Spinal Tap's Big Bottom. What an awesome band they were. :(

Their covers of Come Together, Stray Cat Blues and Into the Void are awesome also.

And, in turn, GNR's cover of Big Dumb Sex is pretty good also.

• Like 1

Their covers of Come Together, Stray Cat Blues and Into the Void are awesome also.

...and DEVO's Girl U Want. Speaking of DEVO...

DEVO - Satisfaction

as well as...

Pet Shop Boys - U2's Where the Hills Have No Name and Willie Nelson's You Were Always On My Mind

X - Breathless

Every song on Blues Bros "Briefcase Full of Blues"

• Like 1

...and DEVO's Girl U Want. Speaking of DEVO...

DEVO - Satisfaction

as well as...

Pet Shop Boys - U2's Where the Hills Have No Name and Willie Nelson's You Were Always On My Mind

X - Breathless

Every song on Blues Bros "Briefcase Full of Blues"

I love Devo's Satisfaction. That they completely retooled it (although, really, what else would they do? Play it straight?) makes it interesting.

• Like 4

Lacuna Coil- Enjoy The Silence (originally by Depeche Mode)

Lacuna Coil- Live To Tell (originally by Madonna)

• Like 1

Soundgarden covered Into The Void? I must hear that one.

• Like 2

• Like 2

Outshined could have been a Sabbath riff.

• Like 1

Outshined could have been a Sabbath riff.

There are a lot of Soundgarden riffs that could have been Sabbath. That's why the grunge label never made sense to me. They were always metal.

Black Hole Sun-Peter Frampton

All Along the Watchtower-JHE

All Along the Watchtower & A Love Bizarre -the late great Michael Hedges.

• Like 2