Is Neil Peart a leftist?

Texas King

I'd say that's a safe bet. He's said as much in an interview a while back. I'm sure someone here can find the exact quote.

Just a reminder, no politics discussion outside of SOCN. This thread is fine for answering TK's question but let's not start inserting our own political views into it.

Why not just move it? :P

Because if it answers the question for TK (who doesn't have SOCN access) without devolving into an argument then it's all good, yes?

It's very tempting, And not having access is his/her problem right? Can I start a thread outside of SOCN about Obama?

No you can't. The reason this thread is allowed to exist -- with it's limited permissions (keep your own politics out of it)-- is because it's about Neil, which means it's Rush-related. And seeing this is a Rush board, we allow threads like this to try and survive, again, with the request to keep it about Neil and Rush. And it's probable that it will be closed once the original question has been answered satisfactorily.

Rush related, sure. But the intent was pure politics. So there is no excuse for it.

Like I said, it's related to a member of Rush, so we keep it open to sufficiently answer the question. Where's the harm in that?

The only person who can "sufficiently answer the question" is Neil Peart. And I think we can safely say he doesn't spend time here. Allowing others to speculate for him can only lead to political sniping (thinly veiled as it may be), which is what many of us seek refuge from on boards like this. Hence the objections.

This thread is now into its fourth page. How's it going so far?

Peart is a quasi-intellectual, and they tend toward the liberal end of the spectrum. He's a libertarian on many social issues, but his general disdain for American culture and capitalist excesses suggest a more leftist leaning. Considering those viewpoints and where/how he lives, I'd say he's somewhat of a hypocrite.

Over time I found him to be more of a pseudo-intellectual.

He's the Diet Coke of intellectuals.

He reads a lot which gives him the impression that he's above it all. But his choice of Kevin Anderson shows how deep his real intellect goes. Pompous verbosity afflicts both of them, and I'm not a Neil hater. He's left leaning but as was said above, why is he living in California?

• Like 1

Peart is a pinko commie peacenik and a cappuccino quaffing Christophobe! Not to mention a pretentious snobby poser!

"Snobby" you say?

Neil Peart in the Marvel Universe:

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/52/27/59/52275928dfae3e7fda2ce928e5f60c05.jpg

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/books/rag-05.1994/rag-05.1994-2.jpg

In one of his books it's mentioned that "Sub-Mariner" is/was one of his nicknames due to the similar hair line.

It IS him!

I know!

Neil refers to Americans in the same tone that Namor refers to surface dwellers!

And he refers to RUSH fans in the same tone as he refers to THE HULK!

Very true! I am an actually witness of such "Hulk" behavior when I met Neil backstage by pure accident on the "Vapor Trails" Tour. A story for the Ages that I have told on here so many times.

So all I will is say that when Neil came off his bus I saw him and turned around and started to walk to him. He froze like a deer in headlights. I froze like a fuckking snowman on a hot summer's eve. (pun intended..... douche, get it?) He was all dressed in black from head to toe. Very Johnny Cash but not so cool. Greasy black hair, big red bloated head. Not a big GREEN head like the Hulk but if the Hulk were red it would have been Hulk Peart. HELLBOY perhaps without the horns. Neil was devilsh enough that night. As I walked up to him to simply tell him that I was a drummer thanks to his influence, he stepped backward on the bus and recoiled like a King Cobra, but to me Neil was more of a Queen. The bus door closed. I was in a surreal moment of my life. I met my drumming mentor and right on cue he delivered the truth of his own being. Perhaps he does have a humbling phobia between him and his fans. He never seemed like a dick to me in his interviews. Always seeming kind with a witty, intellectual sense of humor.

Oh well. I won't trade that memory in for anything Rush related.

I would rather hold on to that Neil memory than just brag about how I had a cliche f***ing meet and greet with Geddy and Alex.

Fuckk it.

I met my MAN thanks to fate, luck and the Hulk Hand Of The Universe.

So be it!

RUSH ON!

I feel great playing to "Signals" twice today. Once on my office kit. Once at home on my main kit.

Thanks to "The Weapon" Thread!

Thanks TRF!

I will will always Love Neil, even if he is the spokesman for Summer's Eve."

"Last Summer's Evil"

Signed,

TNT

REAL METAL

• Like 1

I'd say that's a safe bet. He's said as much in an interview a while back. I'm sure someone here can find the exact quote.

Just a reminder, no politics discussion outside of SOCN. This thread is fine for answering TK's question but let's not start inserting our own political views into it.

Why not just move it? :P

Because if it answers the question for TK (who doesn't have SOCN access) without devolving into an argument then it's all good, yes?

It's very tempting, And not having access is his/her problem right? Can I start a thread outside of SOCN about Obama?

No you can't. The reason this thread is allowed to exist -- with it's limited permissions (keep your own politics out of it)-- is because it's about Neil, which means it's Rush-related. And seeing this is a Rush board, we allow threads like this to try and survive, again, with the request to keep it about Neil and Rush. And it's probable that it will be closed once the original question has been answered satisfactorily.

Rush related, sure. But the intent was pure politics. So there is no excuse for it.

Like I said, it's related to a member of Rush, so we keep it open to sufficiently answer the question. Where's the harm in that?

The only person who can "sufficiently answer the question" is Neil Peart. And I think we can safely say he doesn't spend time here. Allowing others to speculate for him can only lead to political sniping (thinly veiled as it may be), which is what many of us seek refuge from on boards like this. Hence the objections.

This thread is now into its fourth page. How's it going so far?

I think it's going all "RIGHT" 73.

• Like 1

I believe Neil used both left and right hands to play the drums.

He notably played reverse-handed on The Weapon.

Guys, I am a drummer of over 35 years yet I am confused by both of your statements.

Are you saying that Neil played drums open-handed like say Simon Phillips.

Or are you saying that Neil plays the hi-hat and the ride cymbal at the same time like on say "Subdivisions."

Please advise.

Peart is a pinko commie peacenik and a cappuccino quaffing Christophobe! Not to mention a pretentious snobby poser!

"Snobby" you say?

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/52/27/59/52275928dfae3e7fda2ce928e5f60c05.jpg

In one of his books it's mentioned that "Sub-Mariner" is/was one of his nicknames due to the similar hair line.

It IS him!

I know!

Neil refers to Americans in the same tone that Namor refers to surface dwellers!

Very true! I am an actually witness of such "Hulk" behavior when I met Neil backstage by pure accident on the "Vapor Trails" Tour. A story for the Ages that I have told on here so many times.

So all I will is say that when Neil came off his bus I saw him and turned around and started to walk to him. He froze like a deer in headlights. I froze like a fuckking snowman on a hot summer's eve. (pun intended..... douche, get it?) He was all dressed in black from head to toe. Very Johnny Cash but not so cool. Greasy black hair, big red bloated head. Not a big GREEN head like the Hulk but if the Hulk were red it would have been Hulk Peart. HELLBOY perhaps without the horns. Neil was devilsh enough that night. As I walked up to him to simply tell him that I was a drummer thanks to his influence, he stepped backward on the bus and recoiled like a King Cobra, but to me Neil was more of a Queen. The bus door closed. I was in a surreal moment of my life. I met my drumming mentor and right on cue he delivered the truth of his own being. Perhaps he does have a humbling phobia between him and his fans. He never seemed like a dick to me in his interviews. Always seeming kind with a witty, intellectual sense of humor.

I would rather hold on to that Neil memory than just brag about how I had a cliche f***ing meet and greet with Geddy and Alex.

Fuckk it.

So be it!

RUSH ON!

I feel great playing to "Signals" twice today. Once on my office kit. Once at home on my main kit.

Thanks TRF!

"Last Summer's Evil"

Signed,

TNT

REAL METAL

An Earl post I actually liked! :o

What is the world coming to? :LOL:

"Snobby" you say?

It IS him!

I know!

Fuckk it.

So be it!

RUSH ON!

Thanks TRF!

"Last Summer's Evil"

Signed,

TNT

REAL METAL

An Earl post I actually liked! :o

What is the world coming to? :LOL:

Hahahaha! I am sure you are not alone!

No matter what shocking material I type on here I will always be a RUSH FANATIC FOREVER!!

"It's the end of the world as we know it (and I feel FINE!)" LOL!

Love,

R.E.M.

RAPID EARL MOVEMENT :P

:Neil:

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

Guys, I am a drummer of over 35 years yet I am confused by both of your statements.

Or are you saying that Neil plays the hi-hat and the ride cymbal at the same time like on say "Subdivisions."

Please advise.

Earl have you never seen a vid of Peart playing The Weapon? On that song he does indeed play left hand hi-hat all the way through.

• Like 1

Please advise.

Earl have you never seen a vid of Peart playing The Weapon? On that song he does indeed play left hand hi-hat all the way through.

OMG! It's incredible. You always pick up something new from this band even after over three decades for me.

I saw the GUP Tour in 1984. I was crushed into the front barrier under Geddy at the Cow Palace show in South SF. I was in Heaven but even as I saw The Weapon live with my 16 year young eyes I never knew about the left hand always on the hi-hat.

I've seen "Live Under Pressure" 2112 times and I never followed Neil's left hand until tonight!

Makes sense! Neil is all over the hi-hat while adding in insane accents while flipping his 747b with his right hand.

Something I overlooked perhaps, yet at the end of the day it's such a wonderful song to play along to.

Thank you for your insight and great post.

Earl

Please advise.

OMG! It's incredible. You always pick up something new from this band even after over three decades for me.

I saw the GUP Tour in 1984. I was crushed into the front barrier under Geddy at the Cow Palace show in South SF. I was in Heaven but even as I saw The Weapon live with my 16 year young eyes I never knew about the left hand always on the hi-hat.

I've seen "Live Under Pressure" 2112 times and I never followed Neil's left hand until tonight!

Makes sense! Neil is all over the hi-hat while adding in insane accents while flipping his 747b with his right hand.

Something I overlooked perhaps, yet at the end of the day it's such a wonderful song to play along to.

Thank you for your insight and great post.

Earl

You can find interviews with Neil where he talks about composing the Weapon's drum parts with his hands intentionally reversed.
  • Like 1

The shrink wrap :eyeroll: was on the album in December of 1979.

Could you buy it in December of 1979?

See John Rogers for the answer. I'm too busy trying to get a pesky horse fly in the house with my swatter.

Edited by Lorraine

He's a funny guy, that's for sure. He mentions being an idealist and libertarian who got to see how the thing he hoped was pure gets adulterated. He then labels himself a bleeding heart libertarian and then moves on, seemingly satisfied that this specification that he is a type of libertarian is good enough for him. Yet, nothing was accomplished except giving himself a category that comforted himself. I suppose we all may be prone to doing this type of thing but it's interesting to see it in print as something unremarkable.

• Like 2

The shrink wrap :eyeroll: was on the album in December of 1979.

Could you buy it in December of 1979?

You could listen to it in 1979.