Blondie vs The Cars vs The Police vs Talking Heads?

Blondie vs The Cars vs The Police vs Talking Heads?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Blondie vs The Cars vs The Police vs Talking Heads?

Talking Heads first, because I simply think they were more original overall and their weird stuff works for me.

If I put together a 20 song set from any of these bands the Police might have the edge, but I find Talking Heads to make better albums because the Police had some glaring clunkers, more than the other top three.

The Cars third, fantastic pop sense and a worthy number one so no quibble with those who did at all.

Blondie at fourth. They were so very very good early on, when they were right there with their New York peers. But for me they slid quite a bit. To the point a lot of people aren't aware of their early stuff (Detroit 442, Shark in Jet's clothing, Rip her to Shreds).

Edited by Mosher
  • Like 1

at last, a poll that makes sense...hm

The Cars

The Police

Talking Heads

Blondie

The Cars are just perfect, and when The Police are good they're amazing. Talking Heads I need to check out more, but I know they're more cerebral, and Blondie I think are great, but not amazing.

• Like 1

The Police

Talking Heads

The Cars

Blondie

... Where are The Pretenders ? They'd be my #1

I always thought of the Pretenders as a more latter 80s band, whereas these four really hit their strides around the late 70s early 80s.

I always thought of the Pretenders as a more latter 80s band, whereas these four really hit their strides around the late 70s early 80s.

:eh:

The Police

Talking Heads

The Cars

Blondie

What ? The Pretenders 1st album was released 1980. I was at this show. :heart: The Capitol Theater.

The Police are my favorite.

1) The Police ~ They're the ones I know and love the most from. My favorite song of theirs is "Walking On the Moon".

2) The Cars ~ They're the only one I've got an album from on the list. What I know from them, I love but I just don't think I like them as much as The Police.

3) Blondie ~ They've got a lot of material I know and like. I especially like their song "Maria" and I keep hearing "The Tide Is High" at work all the time. That song is starting to grow on me.

4) Talking Heads ~ I don't know much at all by them besides "Once in a Lifetime" and "Burning Down the House".

• Like 3

The Police

Talking Heads

The Cars

Blondie

What ? The Pretenders 1st album was released 1980. I was at this show. :heart: The Capitol Theater.

http://youtu.be/YJlyDQVyS6U

Okay, did some research. The Pretender's were actually more of an early to mid 80s band, but here's why I don't see them in the same boat as the four in this poll. The Cars, Blondie, Talking Heads, and The Police all hit the scene in the late seventies, and had big hits in this three or four year time frame as well. By 1980, they had collectively peaked, and though some would get bigger and some would get smaller, as a group they were about as big as ever right then. In 1980, The Pretenders were just getting started, and they weren't as pop and polished as Blondie, The Cars, and The Police, nor as experimental and cerebral as Talking Heads. They weren't so much new wave, but just plane alternative.

So I don't put them with this group because they occupy a slightly different time-frame (with some overlap) and because they are more alternative than new-wave.

I'm picturing a news story about cops chasing a blonde in a car.. not sure what else these have in common..

Any way, Police by a country mile!!

• Like 3

This is tough between the Police and the Cars :) I love the other 2 too but....

After thinking about it... POLICE.. That said, man, those first 3 Cars albums are soo good.

Yep...The Police were great.

The Cars were very, very good.

As for the other two...

:huh: :sigh:

• Like 2