Your favorite grunge-era album?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Your favorite grunge-era album?

• Dirt - Alice in Chains
    • Nevermind - Nirvana
    • Ten - Pearl Jam
    • Badmotorfinger - Soundgarden

I've bought Screaming Trees "Dust", JB.

Is this even a question? Ofcourse it is Nevermind by Nirvana! Nirvana was the only band that could do grunge for real. All the other "grunge" bands are just copying and does not make it sound as good as how Nirvana did.

Is this even a question? Ofcourse it is Nevermind by Nirvana! Nirvana was the only band that could do grunge for real. All the other "grunge" bands are just copying and does not make it sound as good as how Nirvana did.

A lot of the albums deemed great Grunge came out before Nevermind.

Case in point: Pearl Jam's Ten.

Came out before Nevermind and sold more, at least in the US.

Mother Love Bone, also...maybe not from a sales standpoint, but it is really the cornerstone grunge album.

Zumbi, I know you're just expressing your opinion about the subject. Nothing wrong with that...that's what this thread is about!

Mother Love Bone, also...maybe not from a sales standpoint, but it is really the cornerstone grunge album.

Zumbi, I know you're just expressing your opinion about the subject. Nothing wrong with that...that's what this thread is about!

Agreed.

Also, Temple Of The Dogs debut.

I cam see why for many, such as Zumbi, Nevermind is best. But I rate Ten higher.

I also want to get into Alice In Chains.

I found grunge to be a fresh reimagining of darker and heavier music. Hearing Man In The Box gave me a metal hard on following the pop pap of much of the 80s hair bands. It wasn't new so much as it was a return to an older sound in my opinion. I found many of these bands had more in common with a sound like Sabbath than Poison ever did.
  • Like 3

I found grunge to be a fresh reimagining of darker and heavier music. Hearing Man In The Box gave me a metal hard on following the pop pap of much of the 80s hair bands. It wasn't new so much as it was a return to an older sound in my opinion. I found many of these bands had more in common with a sound like Sabbath than Poison ever did.

Amen.

Honestly I hear a lot of the vibes of seventies hard rock in grunge, entwined with eighties alternative.

• Like 2

Disagreed. Alice in Chains are musically a way superior band than Nirvana!

How so?

How so?

Agreed.

I think Pearl Jam are better than Nirvana but at the same time I want Nirvana to be what they always were and what they were was great without being the most technical ever!

I have bought three AIC albums today. Will play them in a moment

• Like 1

Not knocking Nirvana but these bands I like more:

Pearl Jam

Stone Temple Pilots

Mother Love Bone

Temple Of The Dog

Soundgarden

Alice In Chains (I know after just one listen to Facelift)

• Like 1

Exactly.

Just finished Facelift.

Alice In Chains blew my socks off!

I definitely don't hear much grunge. This is metal througjband through!

Starting to think the term grunge is merely applied to any band with that Seattle accent and gruff vocal baha

• Like 2

I never cared for the grunge or alternative label that most of the bands at this time were called. But they needed something to call it in order to signify the shift in the rock music landscape.

Bands like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, STP and Smashing Pumpkins were just another version of hard rock. While Soundgarden and AIC were another form of metal.

I'm finding it harder to define "grunge" the more I listen to all these classic bands.

I am glad "grunge" exists though as it makes finding these amazing bands so much easier.

None of it sounds dated.

• Like 1

I'm finding it harder to define "grunge" the more I listen to all these classic bands.

I am glad "grunge" exists though as it makes finding these amazing bands so much easier.

None of it sounds dated.

Lol, that's what I was trying to get at earlier with the "grunge doesn't exist" thing.

• Like 1

None of it sounds dated.

Lol, that's what I was trying to get at earlier with the "grunge doesn't exist" thing.

For me it defines a scene/era more than a sound.

• Like 1

None of it sounds dated.

Agreed, though I swear there's something to that sound argument in the guitar tones and production. I've heard the tone from the start of Come As You Are in all four of these bands.

• Like 1

None of it sounds dated.

Agreed, though I swear there's something to that sound argument in the guitar tones and production. I've heard the tone from the start of Come As You Are in all four of these bands.

And the production of the era's albums all tend to have a raw warmth lacking in the more polished nineties arena bands. Vocals often share strong similarities.

• Like 1

AIC is a great band. They kind of define the word grunge with their tuned down raw sound. And Mike Inez is a great bassist and really nice guy.
  • Like 1

I also seem to remember Nevermind coming out before Ten.

They were released less than a month apart, with Ten being the earlier of the two, released Aug 27, 1991.